Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Platform rocker Age, Make, Value?

Question
Lions Head Platform
Lions Head Platform  

Top of the arm
Top of the arm  
I would like to find out more information about my rocker. The age, manufacturing origin, and value. This rocker was my mothers prize possession she told me she remembered the first time she went to one of her Grandpas houses and saw this rocker. She loved it and always dreamed it would be hers. I am not sure when she acquired ownership of the chair but my earliest memories of the chair it had no finish or upholstery on it and that would have been in the early 1960's.

Answer
Tom - Your oak platform rocker was made around the turn of the 20th century, 1890-1910. Animal figures, including the lion's head, were important decorative items in the late Victorian period. The chair was factory made in the Midwest, probably Chicago, but without a makers mark it is impossible to say who made it.

It would sell at auction in the $300-$500 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor