Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocco Style Bedroom set?

QUESTION: Hi! I recently acquired a bedroom set and would to love a little about it as I've never come across this type of craftsmanship before. No watermarks and labels are on the furniture but they appear to be very well made. Thank you!

ANSWER: Please send me a photo of the back of the dresser and I close up photo of the back corner of one of the drawers. Are the legs in Bronze or sculpted wood?

At first glance this looks like it maybe Italian made.

Back of small drawer
Back of small drawer  
Back of tall dresser
Back of tall dresser  
QUESTION: Thank you for the reply! The legs of the furniture is carved wood with gold gilding. The pieces appear to be all solid wood no particle anywhere I can tell. Each dresser is much heavier than they appear.

ANSWER: This is American made mass produced from the 1960s. It is a mix of French and Italian style, The two large dressers have a value of around $200 dollars if they were to be sold in a used furniture store.

QUESTION: How can you tell it's reproduction? For a $200 reproduction it's built much better than most 60s dressers :)

French transition commode
French transition comm  

Italian transition commode
Italian transition com  
This is a reproduction because 1. an original would never be a set, a pair maybe, but never a bedroom set.  2. If this was an original the style of the what would be called a transition period, it would be the period between Louis XV  and Louis XVI circa 1770s. 3.The base is more Italian rococo style, I have attached two photos one french transition and one Italian transition commode so you can see the difference. 4. the back of your dresser has screws that hold the back in place, this was only manufactured like this in the 20th century. 5. The extra rococo design details above the legs did not exist in the 18th or 19th century, only American made reproduction furniture of the late 20th century. 6. The patina of the wood on the back and the back of the drawer is 20th century, only someone with years of experience can see the difference. ( I have 25 years of experience). 7. If this was original the legs would be in bronze not carved wood. 8. I could probably give you at least 25 other reasons why your dresser is a reproduction, but I would be waisting a lot of time.

I do not give advice for free because I think I know what I am talking about, I do it because I know what I am looking at.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.