Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rocking chair

Question
Rocking chair
Rocking chair  

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
Hi, I have been trying to find information on my rocking chair. It seems old but I don't have any knowledge on furniture. I would like to know if it has any value to be insured? We will be moving and wonder if we should get an appraisal for in case it get's damaged in transition. I'm not sure where to start. Thank you for any help you may give.

Answer
rocker is from the 1910-10 era.  wood is birch and figured birch stained to a cordovan mahogany color.  the design on the back slat looks to be inlay with mother of pearl of abalone in addition to various species of wood.

retail in shop pricing for the chair would be around 400.  insurance replacement should be higher by 2 or 2.5.  the insurance companies set this but the following example.  if you have your windshield replaced in your car and you pay it might be 160-180, if the insurance pays it will be double.

take pictures of all surfaces of the chair before moving.  read the inventory carefully from the drivers/packers so you do not sign standard coverage which is per pound for damage or loss.

if you have homeowners insurance it will help cover items but you can purchase additional insurance as well.  remember, insurance companies are not working for you even though you are paying their salaries.  some adjusters care many do not.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein