Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Trunk

Question
Front
Front  

Top
Top  
My husband recently came across this old trunk. It was found in an old cabin. The only marking we found on it was on the lock. It says Eagle lock company terryville Connecticut USA. can you tell me anything about it ?

Answer
1900 Trunk Catalog
1900 Trunk Catalog  

1904 Trunk Catalog
1904 Trunk Catalog  
Katherine,
This trunk is a popular style of the late 1890's to about 1920.  Since these were made by many American trunk companies during that time, there are many varieties of this type canvas covered trunk and they were used by men and women. This one is well made and heavy duty since it has the strong iron or steel hardware, extra banding around the trunk and the leather tie-down straps. Some had leather straps and some didn't.  They were made in several sizes and many were covered with canvas and some with metal or leather. Eagle lock company was in business until the mid 1950's and made many types of trunk locks but didn't make any trunks. The lock is probably a high quality brass or steel lock. Many of these trunks do not have any markings or label from the manufacturer. They had one or more interior trays. The style hardware on the trunk was used by multiple trunk makers so it doesn't identify the maker of the trunk.  I'm attaching a couple pages from trunk catalogs from 1900 and 1904 which show similar trunks. Many people or restorers remove the old canvas and refinish the wood, which can look very nice if properly done. I hope that answers your questions.
Marvin  ThisOldTrunk.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller