Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage Dining table

Vintage Table
Vintage Table  

Hello. I picked this item up a few years back. it was in terrible condition so I had no choice but to commit the sin of refinishing.  There is a paper tag on the underside that reads C.F. Schmoe Furniture Co. Manufacturer of Dining Room Furniture Shelbyville Indiana. It also has the name of the customer handwritten along with NO. 1881. It had wooden wheels and a metal pull on the underside to separate it to insert a leaf. Could you tell me more about the company , the style, period and approx. how much it would be worth?

There is limited information on the company online and I have none in my library.   I will keep looking and add to the post when I have something more.  As to the table, Ok to have things refinished if needed, each item must be judged on the condition at the time.

Table is from the 1920s and in the jacobean style.  These are generally in a dark walnut color as shown, dark.  The tops usually walnut veneer with sweet gum as the secondary wood.

would sell today in a shop at around 650-750, again, condition is important.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971