Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique rookie. I have a Berkey and Gay ....Sideboard?

Question
Sideboard
Sideboard  

Inside drawer
Inside drawer  
Hi there! I came across this clearing through some old family belongings. I wanted to know if you could help me tell when it was made and if I should refinish and either keep and resell,  thank you! Inside has a sliding box compartment that slides left to right, leaving space in the the bottom of the drawer.

Answer
Georgette - Your piece is called a server, used as additional space in the dining room. It is made of walnut veneer and walnut solids and was made in the mid 1920s. The sliding space is for extra silver storage.

The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value. Suit yourself.

It would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor