Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique rookie. I have a Berkey and Gay ....Sideboard?

Inside drawer
Inside drawer  
Hi there! I came across this clearing through some old family belongings. I wanted to know if you could help me tell when it was made and if I should refinish and either keep and resell,  thank you! Inside has a sliding box compartment that slides left to right, leaving space in the the bottom of the drawer.

Georgette - Your piece is called a server, used as additional space in the dining room. It is made of walnut veneer and walnut solids and was made in the mid 1920s. The sliding space is for extra silver storage.

The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value. Suit yourself.

It would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida