Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Borax or No?

Question
Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  
I am far from an expert in wood and antique furniture, but I initially believed this vanity/dressing table to be from the 19th century and fairly valuable since it is very solid wood and obviously hand carved with a lot of detail.. Someone recently told me it was just Borax furniture. Could you shed some light on this piece?

Answer
I have only been in the business since 1969 and this is the very first time I have heard of the line of less expensive furniture made in the 30s referred to as 'borax furniture'.  Someone had very likely extrapolated this term from the Larkin furniture (larkin desk sound familiar?) as it predated 'borax terminology'.
read here
http://www.monroefordham.org/Projects/Larkin/history.htm

Regardless, i am going to do more research on the term as I have found a few articles from the late 1930-50 using the term, well actually the term doesn't see to appear until after the furniture was in full production and in homes and become used.

Anyhow, whoever told you that your desk is of that nature was mistaken.  Very mistaken.  you r desk if of high quality in the Chippendale style made between 1920-40 in mahogany veneers and skillfully machine assisted hand carvings.

It is in need of PROPER restoration and the bale on the pull in the middle drawer of the left hand bank of drawers is facing the wrong way.  it must have come off at some time and been put on backwards.

Properly restored this desk would sell in a shop at 650 to 750 minimum, but only if restored properly.

thanks  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein