Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Globe-Wernicke armchair

Detail of back
Detail of back  
I bought this chair about 20 years old from a 90 year old gentleman. The bent-wood back says handmade to me.  The finish appears to be original. Two of the spreaders are loose.

Question: What is current value, and would it hurt the value to glue the spreaders with modern glue?

Nicer than most being in oak.  It does need some restoration but you should use the proper glue to glue the rungs, which is hot hide glue, or liquid hide glue warmed to 100 degrees.  

If you are not familiar with hide glue please make it your friend.

In good condition this chair should sell in a shop at 350-400.

hope this is what you needed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971