Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Headley & Farmer Trunk

Question
Front Trunk
Front Trunk  

Trade Mark
Trade Mark  
Hi, I own many years this trunk travel in very good conditions of Headley & Farmen .
I would if it were possible to have an assessment.
Thank you for your time.
Silvia from Italy

Answer
Taylor Trunks catalog page
Taylor Trunks catalog  
Hello Silvia,
Your Headley & Farmer trunk appears to be what was called a wardrobe trunk and has canvas covering over wood. Headley & Farmer were one of the early trunk makers in the New York area and they were in business for a long time, making many styles of trunks. The canvas covering and hardware used on this trunk indicates it was a fairly early model which could have been made from the late 1890's until about 1915. The large standup wardrobe trunks were first introduced in the late 1890's but became much more popular from about 1910 until the 1930's. The models from around 1915 and later were almost all covered with vulcanized fiber which was stronger and more durable than leather or canvas. It's good that your trunk has the brass label on it. The wardrobe trunks usually have several drawers and wooden hangers inside and some had other special features such as a folding ironing board. There is an article about wardrobe trunk history with pictures on my website ThisOldTrunk.com on the Showcase page. You might want to check that out also. The wardrobe trunks are slowly becoming more popular but because they aren't rare and many are still around the value isn't usually very high on them. I usually see these for sale in the United States in the range of about $150 to $300, depending on condition and completeness. Some can sell for higher prices if they are more unusual and in excellent condition. I hope that information helps.
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller