Collectibles-General (Antiques)/history

Dear mr Klain
the table in the attached photos is in Bogota Colombia, my dad has recently restored.
we would like to know:
when was it made?
original materials?
and if after a non professional restoration it has any value?

Thank you

It is a manufactured piece from the Imperial Furniture Co in Grand Rapids, MI, USA.  Grand Rapids was a huge manufacturing area from the late 1800s into the 1940s.

The wood on the top would be mahogany veneer, the rest I cannot tell in the photo but generally it is sweet gum and/or tulip poplar stained with an aniline dye to be mahogany color.

If the restoration was done well then the value is intact.  Here this table would sell at 125 in a shop.

Hope this is what you needed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971