Collectibles-General (Antiques)/John A. Colby & Sons Tea Table

Tea Table Top View
Tea Table Top View  
Tea Table Full View
Tea Table Full View  
QUESTION: This tea table belonged to my husband’s grandmother, who lived in Iowa. There is a tag on the bottom that says, “John A. Colby and Sons”, “41595”. Unfortunately, this is all I know. Can I get an age and value please?

ANSWER: waxed, which will do as a cleaner as well on the wood and cane should be done.  Briwax is a good product.  buy the toluene free type in a brown color.

Made around 1890-1910 with single rope twist legs.  I would think this had glass over the cane and possibly over the whole top and shelf.  I have see these both ways.

Wood is usually oak when carving of this style is used.

QUESTION: Not sure if part of your answer is missing.  Can you provide a value?

had trouble sending the answer, had to type it twice as i must have left out the value.  also to wax the cane top and underneath.

my comment on value or retail pricing in a store would depend on how it looked after waxing but if all was good then about 350 retail.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971