Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally Slot Machine

Question
Front Display
Front Display  
Makers Tag
Makers Tag  
QUESTION: Hi Rodger,
Some 10 years ago I purchased an early model (I think it is!)3 reel Bally slot machine (made in Ireland)- I'm in Australia. It wasn't working, but with a little bit of patience I got it up and running - to the point it would pay out full jackpots with the bell ringing!

I have purchased as many repro Bally manuals from Ebay that I believe might represent my machine, but I have no idea what the model is? Perhaps it is an "E" but the numbers stamped on the tag on the lower right side of the case are (top line) 1071/4
and on the bottom line 157.

Recently things have stopped working. The machine still works, but will no longer 'pay' on certain totals. I'd like to find the correct model # so I know which manual to use to have someone fix it. I've attached a photo.

If you can assist I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks in anticipation

John

ANSWER: Hi John,
Well this is interesting, and I don't see any of these models over here. If it does not have printed circuit boards in it, then it is a Bally Electro/Mechanical machine or "E/M". If it does have printed circuit boards in it like on the left inside wall and on the back wall then it is a Series "E" or Electronic machine and could be the Series E-1000 or the later series E-2000 model. So, does it have, or does it not have, printed circuit boards in it? Manuals are made to cover a model; like the E/M models will use a Bally manual Number 2400 which will cover all E/M machines very nicely. Then you go to the Bally E series and most of those manuals will cover both the E-1 and E-2 machines. I don't know how the Ireland machines are numbered but when I look at the series number I wonder if this is a model 1071, but I just don't know. Here in the U.S.A. numbering would be like a model 1075-?? And this would be a 1975 model 1074 "Bounty which is an E/M game.
The question marks after the model number above would be for the type of game installed in this model 1075 machine might be several different games used in this model line of 1075. About the only foreign Bally manual I have seen out there, is this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baly-Slot-Machine-Service-Manual-Danish-Models-/36018144

We have several manuals on our site at http://www.coinslots.com but not this foreign manual.
Maybe you can clean up the wiper boards a bit, I use metal polish on the contact boards by each reel if it is a E/M machine and i make sure there is some tension on all the wipers so they stay in contact as them move back and forth on the wiper boards.
If you get a chance, please let me know if this is an E/M machine or electronic "E" series.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Bally Internals
Bally Internals  
QUESTION: Hi Rodger,
Yes it is certainly an EM machine, sadly I was only allowed to upload two photos last time. I have included on if the internals this time. I did find a list of Bally model numbers 'somewhere', and there was mention of a model 1072 that was made for Australian export only - probably to suite the 240v AC power supply?
Once in working condition, what would you estimate it might be worth for sale?
Many thanks again for your help.
John

Answer
Hi John,

I would agree with you on export for the 240V market, I would think that this would be easy to convert back with just adding a transformer for 110 volt. The inside of your machine looks the same as any E/M bally slot so I would think that the Bally manual #2400 would work excellent for this slot. Value I really can't guess to well on that one, as it is a game not seen in the U.S.A. but could be common somewhere else. The slot market for Bally E/M games in the U.S. is not doing so well, and I see E/M games selling from 500.00 to maybe 800.00 right now. I know that there is another manual that you may not have, it is about 227 pages with hundreds of photos and is called: Owners Pictorial guide to the care and understanding of The Bally Slot Machine and is for most E/M Models manufactured from 1963 to 1981 and covers all models from M-742 to M-1206 the "M" stands for Mechanical. This is put out by Robert N. Geddes and Daniel R. Mead by Mead Publishing Company of Las Vegas Nevada. Should you want that one I can help you get a copy.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson