Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey and gay

Just got this table someone was throwing away and saw the berkey and gay mark on it and narrowed it down from 1929-1948 but can't find any info on it not looking to sell just want to know about the table that have 2- leafs that come out

Brian - Your table is called a "draw leaf" table and the form was one of the earliest forms of extension tables from the 1600s. The form was resurrected during the Depression era of the 1930s for use in dining furniture of the period when housing space was limited.

The table was originally made of walnut and secondary hardwoods but it appears to have been bleached and whitewashed. In original condition it would sell at auction in the $200-$300. In its current condition the value is catch as catch can.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida