Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dependable Trunk from Newark Trunk Co.

Label on trunk
Label on trunk  

Full view of Dependable Trunk
Full view of Dependabl  
I read a post on your page from a woman who bought a Dependable Trunk from Newark Trunk Co. (NJ)at a reasonable price. I found one of these trucks in the attic of a building we purchased.  There is a newspaper form 1932 inside the trunk.  I am trying to determine what would be a good asking price for the trunk.  I have photos available.

There were several large trunk companies in Newark, NJ which made this style trunk.  This one does appear to be from the 1920's to 1930's based on the hardware style and covering. These usually had vulcanized fiber covering which is a flexible pressed fiber material which was made in several colors. From the first picture it looks like some of the covering may be torn off or something else is stuck on it, but I can't tell which.  These trunks are not as popular as the canvas covered wood trunks, but some people do buy them to fix up and the condition and how complete they are is important to the value. These had a tray inside and either paper or fabric lining.  It's a little hard to tell too much from a couple pictures, but in that condition these trunks usually don't sell for more than about $75 to $80, and can be found for less at flea markets and auctions.  I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.