Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Imperial table- Grand Rapids Company

Table folded down
Table folded down  
I have a question about a table and chairs my wife's grandfather gave to us. It is an Imperial table with 268 stamped on the bottom of the table. It has a stand alone support in the middle with ends on each side that fold up. The legs have two metal pegs that lock them down when the side supports are up. It seems it can be extended with a leaf with a chain and gear looking system to move the table with ease. Can you tell me anything about this? Thanks!

It is a Sheraton style table generally called a Duncan Phyfe style table made 1920-40.  Top is mahogany veneer, base probably stained sweet gum.

Originally it would have had one or two leaves.

I am not really sure what you wanted to know.  If you want to use the followup function and ask any specific questions please do.  You may also add two more photos using the followup function.  To restore these, which this does not seem to need ( wax with Briwax, toluene free, antique mahogany color) will do wonders.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971