Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Mersman Furniture

Question
Mersman Desk
Mersman Desk  

Mersman Desk
Mersman Desk  
I have two pieces of furniture that are manufactured by Mersman.  One is a desk the other a table.  The table is numbered 6420.  The desk I believe is numbered 1947.  Can you tell me what these items would go for at auction?

Answer
Helen - Your desk is a very early form from Mersman, early 20th century. It is made of quartersawn white oak. Quarter sawing is a method of cutting an oak log that produces the distinctive grain pattern seen in the wood. Quarter sawing is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE.”

The style at that time in the late 1910s and early 1920s with the rolled under feet was called “Colonial” in a mistaken attempt to relate to the Colonial Revival movement in American furniture at the time that reproduced styles from our colonial past. However, the design is not from the colonial period. It is from the end of the Empire period in a style known as Late Classicism, circa 1850.

The desk would sell at auction in the 4200-$300 range. Since I did not see a photo of the tbale I cannot give you a value.

Thanks for writing.

Fed Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor