Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sara2lm7ltoga Trunk

Question
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG  

IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG  
I was gifted with what I believe to be a rare half-size slightly round top trunk in 1980.  Oddly enough, I lived in Saratoga Springs at the time. I want to sell the trunk but have no idea of its worth.  The trunk has some restoration (new leather handles and replaced hinges on the back}.  The round top lid has a latched wooden compartment in it. The trunk measures 22"long and 20" deep.  The trunk is 20" high at the center slat.  It was made by A. Alexander, 44 School Street, Boston in the 1800s.  Can you please advise on a selling price?

Answer
Hello Judy,
It's a nice looking half trunk and is probably from the 1880's to mid 1890's in age.  There were many trunk makers in Boston during that time and they all made similar trunks. Actually the term Saratoga trunk did come from Saratoga Springs, but it wasn't just about the shape of the trunk but mostly the size, as the trunk makers started calling the very large trunks a Saratoga because it would hold so much, great for a vacation in Saratoga Springs. In the last year or so, this style trunk has been selling retail in the range of about $550 to $650, but the market has been slower lately even for unusual or rare type trunks and it can be hard to get a retail price sometimes when selling from home. If you think you might be interested, I do off a consignment listing service for selling trunks such as this on my website. If you want more information on that please contact me at Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller