Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Side Board Buffet

Please can you tell me anything about this i know its made in statesville,NC

Jim - The buffet is from the Depression era of the mid 1930s. It is made of walnut veneer and a secondary wood called gum or red gum stained to look like walnut. The label remnant is that of the Statesville Furniture Co. It is from the "Statesville" line.

During the Depression North Carolina became the hub of the secondary furniture market due to availability of raw material and cheap labor. Top tier furniture was still made in Grand Rapids and New York.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida