Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Side Board Buffet

Question
Sideboard
Sideboard  

manufacturer
manufacturer  
Please can you tell me anything about this i know its made in statesville,NC

Answer
Jim - The buffet is from the Depression era of the mid 1930s. It is made of walnut veneer and a secondary wood called gum or red gum stained to look like walnut. The label remnant is that of the Statesville Furniture Co. It is from the "Statesville" line.

During the Depression North Carolina became the hub of the secondary furniture market due to availability of raw material and cheap labor. Top tier furniture was still made in Grand Rapids and New York.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor