Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Table

I have an old dinning table that was my grandma's. I always thought it was a Duncan Phyfe, but the tag on the bottom says Associated Factories, inc. Could you tell me more about this table and maybe how old it is? Thank you

Kristine - Duncan Phyfe (1768-1854) was a Scottish cabinetmaker who came to America in 1784 changing his name from Fife to Phyfe. He served his apprenticeship in Albany, NY before moving to Manhattan in 1790.

He worked in all the popular styles of the day including Federal, Neo-Classic, Empire, Regency and Rococo Revival. The style he didn’t work in was “Duncan Phyfe” because there was not then and is not today a style by that name. Somehow his name became attached to any piece of furniture from any period that has sweeping legs extending from a pedestal or a frame. While it is true he made some furniture in that style, so did every other cabinetmaker in New York. The sweeping legs were actually in style before Phyfe was born. It was an English Georgian style used in pedestal dining tables just after the middle of the 18th century.

Your table is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal period table of the early 1800s. The table was made in the late 1940s. It is made of mahogany veneer on the top. The rest of the table is made of a secondary wood, gum, that has been stained to look like mahogany. Tables like this are generally well made and will last many generations with proper care. The single chair in the photo is from the same period, late 1940s, and is a reproduction of a Rococo Revival style chair of the mid 1800s.

Associated Factories was one of many 20th century furniture manufacturers in Chicago.

In good condition the table would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida