Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Taking paint off 1900 cast iron

E.H. Stafford School Desk
E.H. Stafford School D  

E.H. Stafford School Desk
E.H. Stafford School D  
Hi Jack,

I have a 1895-1904 E.H. Stafford school desk with cast iron legs that were painted over.  I like the patina it created, as it looks like it was an old paint job. However I am wondering what it would take to take the paint off and would it ruin the original cast iron any further?  Should I leave it or is it worth restoring?

Thanks for your help!

I believe it boils down to what look you like. If it has been painted years ago, then
you can never have the original patina. If you like the look it has now, I suggest you
leave it as it is. The only way to completely remove all the remaining paint would be to
have it sand blasted. That would allow you to then repaint it any way you would like. You
could also paint over the remaining paint but it would probably peel in years to come.
I am a lover of original and in the case of this desk, I would leave it as is, even
though it is not the original paint, it is old paint. Another option...Sand blast the old paint off and then clear coat the cast iron to seal it from oxidation. After considering
all of these options, it becomes your decision as to what to do. Good luck, I don't think
you can make a mistake. Regards,  Gumgod

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund

I have 35 years experience in the coin op field, specializing in old gumball and peanut machines. Also trade stimulators, especially turn of the century cigar store machines, both cast iron and wooden machines.

I have owned over 3000 coin operated machines. Much knowledge comes from experience as there is not a lot of documented information on many coin operated machines. Experience is the teacher.

Coin Operated Collector's Association

I host a column in the C.O.C.A. Times, (the magazine for members of the Coin Operated Collector's Association). The column is titled "Tales Of The Hunt" and features stories and comments about member's great (and sometimes not so great) finds.

I have been a dealer at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Coin Op show since it started. Look for me in Booth F-09. Stop by with your questions or photos. I'll try to help you or buy your machine if you prefer.