Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1930's China Cabinet

1930\'s China Cab
1930's China Cab  
I have recently acquired this piece and was wondering what you might be able to tell me about it. I am guessing it is from the 1930's era, but not sure. It is in excellent condition, with no chipped veneers, gouges or chips. It appears to have been well taken care of by someone that apparently loved/valued it a lot. Anything you could tell me regarding age, history and value would be greatly appreciated.

Denise - As you surmised the cabinet is from the 1930s, over decorated as was the style. It features a number of woods. The boldly striped veneer is Australian walnut, also called orientalwood or oriental walnut. It was favorite of furniture makers of the period and was used extensively in the period. The wood is found only in a small part of coastal eastern Australia and has not been available in large commercial quantities since World War II.

The two panels above the Australian walnut are walnut burl veneer. The rest of the piece is made of various cuts of walnut veneer and a secondary wood called gum.

The style is part of the Colonial Revival period of American furniture when styles from our colonial past were reproduced. The style reproduced in your cabinet is called Jacobean named for King James I of the early 17th century. The Latin term for James is Jacob. The style is readily identifiable by the large bulb turnings on the legs. It was popular in the American colonies in the late 17th and early 18th century and was revived for use during the Depression era of the early 20th century.

You can see more furniture of this style and period in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. It is available on Amazon at

The cabinet would sell at auction in the $300 range.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida