Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique chair

Question
Antique chair
Antique chair  
I was given 4 chairs and trying to get info on them. Stamped underneath is 134 Mah 144 Wine. What does that mean? Are these valuable? Was thinking of painting but my mom says not to, it'll decrease their value. Can you give me some info on these? Value? Maker?

Answer
Syndie - Your chairs are Colonial Revival reproductions of Federal period chairs of the early 1800s. The harp was attribute to Greek civilization that established the principle of democracy. Your chairs were factory made in the late 1940s to mid 1950s. They are made of birch with a mahogany finish. The harps probably have mahogany veneer on them.

The "134 MAH" is the stain color used on the chairs and the "Wine" is the color of the original upholstery. Without a  maker's mark there is no way to tell who made them.

The chairs are not antique. They would sell at auction in the $25 each range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor