Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Chair

Wooden Chair
Wooden Chair  
My parents (now deceased) had several antiques which we have kept in storage and about which we are now trying to find information. I am attaching a photo of one of them. I cannot seem to find this style anywhere. Can you tell me more about this one? We also have a gate-leg table, Duncan Phyfe (sp?) sofa and coffee table, and a few more pieces.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Barbara - Your chair is part of a three or five piece parlor set from the turn of the 20th century. The style is Empire Revival. The chair is made of birch with a mahogany finish. That is called  “simulated mahogany” and was correctly explained in the 1902 Sears catalog as being both stronger and less expensive than genuine mahogany. It would sell at auction in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.
Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida