Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bell & Howell Director Series

Question
Bell Howell
Bell Howell  

Zoomatic
Zoomatic  
I received the above item from my grandmother before she past in 1981. I am curious as to the value or how old it may be. Please find attached pic. Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

Other than the obvious sentimental value to you and your family, I'm afraid it's essentially a worthless old 8mm movie camera made by Bell & Howell in the early 1960's, extremely common, basically a $10 flea market piece these days. However, this particular model of camera has an interesting connection with one of the saddest days in American history. It was a Bell & Howell Director Series Zoomatic 8mm movie camera that Abraham Zapruder was using when he unexpectedly filmed the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in Dallas on November 22nd of 1963. Therefore, although a common and otherwise undistinguished model, savvy sellers sometimes present it as "the Zapruder Camera" on eBay, and they receive bids in excess of $40. Sad, but true...

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver