Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Desk

Question
view1
view1  

view2
view2  
Thank you for participating in this service. I am trying to find out when this desk was built and what it might be worth. By the mark in the drawer and information I see on GrandRapidsHistory site, it was built between  1914 and 1937. They suggested that I contact you for more information. It seems to be in good condition for that age, but can I date it with any more precision? Some "serial/model" numbers are in the pictures, but I can't decipher them. I'd love to keep it, it's beautiful and well-built, but it is also vary large for my house. Thank you for what you can tell me.

Answer
The style is that we would expect from the 1920s.  In restored condition this desk would sell around 2000 but in the condition shown that would require some degree of restoration a fair price would be 750-1000 for this executive desk.

Numbers are generally proprietary to the company and we have no way of deciphering them.  Generally they are style/model/inventory numbers and/or finish/color or wood numbers.

Yours is a finish number "FIN" on the top lines.  Some companies have a date code in the numbers like your bottom number but not often.  Sometimes it denotes which plant manufactured the ite..

thanks and hope this is helpful.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein