Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Desk or vanity

The details
The details  
I just purchased this desk. The lady I bought it from was unsure of the year it was made but it belonged to her mother. I found a sticker that states "General Furniture Company, Seattle WA" in the middle drawer. Can you give me an idea of the age and the original finish so I can restore it please?

Made around 1920-1930.  As to the original finish, if the current finish is original it would have been lacquer.

Many similar pieces like this came with a mirror either to hand on the wall or attach to the base to be used as a vanity.

Hope this is what you needed.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971