Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Indonesian Mahogany Secretary

Mahogany Secretary
Mahogany Secretary  

Mahogany Secretary desk interior
Mahogany Secretary des  
I recently acquired this piece. I was told it is an Indonesian Mahogany Secretary, but that was the only information I received. It appears to be in pristine condition. The only damage I can see is a bit of wood separation on the fold down desk portion. I was wondering if you might be able to give me some idea of origin, age and value. Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a pic of the piece and a pic of the interior of the desk portion. If this is outside your area, could you recommend another expert? Thank you

Denise - Your bookcase secretary is a recent import from Indonesia or Malaysia, within the last 30 years. It is a reproduction of an 18th century cabinet. The reason there is a separation in the drop front is that the wood is not fully cured and this shrinking will continue for years as the wood dries.

These inexpensive reproductions have no antique value. Your cabinet would sell at auction in the $200 range.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida