Collectibles-General (Antiques)/information on chair

Hello.  I have  recently purchased these chairs, not knowing anything about them. There is a sticker on the bottom that says Westfield company inc. Sheboygan WI.   No. 1190.  Fin. Mahg.
A couple of them  has glue letting loose and cracking.  I want to repair them and maybe refinish them. Any thing you could tell me about these chairs would be greatly appreciated. Should in refinish ornleave as is. I paid $40 for five of them. Thank you.   Mary

The chairs are from the 1940s probably sweet gum wood.  they were originally stained to a mahogany color.  The style is in the federal style.

They need regluing, repair and restoration.  

would cost around 125 to 150 each to be restored which is what they would be worth at that time.

hope this is helpful

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971