Collectibles-General (Antiques)/what type ofnchair do i have. and maybe the value.

Hello. I have purchased these chairs. Knowing nothing about them
What can you tell me about them. The  tag underneath the cushion says the Westfield company inc. Sheboygan, Wi  the finosh mah . no. 1190.  I paid $40 for 5 of them.  Some of gluenis letting loose. They were stored in a barn for 10/years. Can I refinish them. And what should I use if I can.thank you for your help.   Mary

Mary - Your chairs are Colonial Revival reproductions of Federal period chairs of the early 1800s, probably made in the 1940s. They are made of a secondary wood, probably gum that has been stained to look like mahogany. The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value. That is certainly the case here.

There is not room here to give you a short course on finishing. I suggest you consult a local restoration artist for information.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida