Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey & Gay Span-Umbrian Table #1041

Hello Robert -

I have a Berkey & Gay - Span-Umbrian #1041 Table - Its 6 Feet Long By 2 Feet Wide - It's in Great Condition and I'm Looking to Sell This But I Can't Find Anything Similar to This Table On Your Website or Anywhere Else - I Am Looking for the Value of This Table & How Old Is It & Its Desirability & Perhaps Any Suggestions As to Where I Would Have The Best Luck in Selling the Table or Possibly Who Might be Interested in Buying it -My Grand Mother Always Believed its Valuable But I Would Like to Know For Sure -  I Was Given Your Name By Diana Barrett from the Grand Rapids Historical Commission - I Want to Thank You for your time & Any Help You Can Forward Me Will Be Most Appreciated - If You Need More Pictures please Let me Know & If it's Helpful to call me, Please do at  - Once Again Thank you for your time - David

This is called a sofa table or console table made in the 1920s.  If the condition is good then is would sell in a store at 350. more is the top was in better condition and the rest waxed.  Up to 650 if in excellent condition.  At auction generally less.  the word Umbrian is an area in Italy which is supposed to influence the style but this style is not uncommon.  The footing is called a shoe foot, the shape of the supports is urn shaped.

not sure what else to tell you.  The wood is walnut, the decoration is quite nice and unusual which is to be expected from the earlier Berkey and Gay company.

hope this is what you needed.

as to where and how to sell i cannot help as i do not know the economics or demographics in your area.  I suggest you go around to shops and see what they have similar then go from there.  Selling to an individual will be better than selling to a shop, a shop might pay 100-150.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971