Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Duluth Trunk

duluth truck
duluth truck  

duluth trunk
duluth trunk  
we bought this Duluth truck a few years back.  my small son has used it for hide and seek one too many times, the hinge on the left is off a little, and that made the front parts chip into the box.  (see pics). also the leather handle were very fragle and have broken.
can you tell me, is this worth anything above its value as a box to store items?  if yes, where do I sell it? Do I need to fix it up first?  etc.   I'm in MN.
thanks so much

The trunk is a popular style of the early 1900's made by many American trunk companies. It's nice that it has the original label but it doesn't increase the value much. The trunk has brass plated hardware and a type used from around 1910 to the 1920's.  The trunk does have some value and someone may be interested in restoring it, but I suggest if you try to sell it that you sell it as-is. Many people like to fix it up themselves and if you work on it you may not get any more for it. Some like the canvas covering and others like to remove it and refinish the wood. The average value of these unrestored and without the tray isn't too high, usually in the range of about $75 to $150. In some areas people may get a little more for them. The easiest way for most folks to sell one is put some good pictures and description on craigslist or on ebay.  There are people looking for them so you should eventually get some offers.  You might also try to locate any antique dealers in your area or any trunk restorers in your area that may buy it. Research online about trunk restoration up in MN and you may find someone you can contact there.  
Best wishes,

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.