Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Kaplan reproduction tamour

Question
untitled
untitled  
Greetings: this tambour was purchased by my mother some time before 1950. It's in very good condition, measures 37.5" across.  There's a tag in the top drawer identifying it as "Kaplan Furniture, Early  American Reproductions, Cambridge, MA." I'm finally parting with it (I loved the sliding wooden doors as a child) and shipping it cross country to a cousin in Massachusetts.  I would like to know its present value to decide whether to insure it. Have you any idea if your valuation would be accepted for insurance purposes?
Thanks for your time and attention.
Nancy

Answer
Nancy - Kaplan reproductions are some of the best quality reproductions out there. Unfortunately the value of real antiques as well as reproductions has plummeted in the last few years. Here is a similar but more elaborate Kaplan tambour desk that sold at Nadeau's Auction in 2012 for $546.25.
http://www.nadeausauction.com/auctions/lot-details/?lot=102238

Actual comparable sales values will determine the insurance value. I am not a certified appraiser so my opinion doesn't count.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor