Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Kaplan reproduction tamour

Greetings: this tambour was purchased by my mother some time before 1950. It's in very good condition, measures 37.5" across.  There's a tag in the top drawer identifying it as "Kaplan Furniture, Early  American Reproductions, Cambridge, MA." I'm finally parting with it (I loved the sliding wooden doors as a child) and shipping it cross country to a cousin in Massachusetts.  I would like to know its present value to decide whether to insure it. Have you any idea if your valuation would be accepted for insurance purposes?
Thanks for your time and attention.

Nancy - Kaplan reproductions are some of the best quality reproductions out there. Unfortunately the value of real antiques as well as reproductions has plummeted in the last few years. Here is a similar but more elaborate Kaplan tambour desk that sold at Nadeau's Auction in 2012 for $546.25.

Actual comparable sales values will determine the insurance value. I am not a certified appraiser so my opinion doesn't count.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida