Collectibles-General (Antiques)/military trunk

army trunk
army trunk  

army trunk
army trunk  
my trunk is by James Topham it has written on the top From Quartermaster to Monterey Cal. and to Ft Bliss Texas and to Asheville N C on the bottom is say John T. Mclane there were two John T Mclanes one was in the civil war and the other b 1888 and did WWI trying to figure out if it was older Civil War or WWI I am attaching a picture Thanks for any info on it on the inside a paper label saying for how many cots table and chair the label is in excellant shape

The James Topham trunk company of Washington D.C. made several styles of trunks for the military under contract with the Quartermaster Corps for WWI and some a little later. This trunk has latches which were patented in 1878 and then made until the 1920's and used by many trunk makers. So the trunk could not have been made and used for the civil war. It is definitely a style made for the WWI period. I hope that helps.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.