Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage silver tone metal container

Photo of metal container and lid
Photo of metal contain  

3 of the 5 marks on the bottom
3 of the 5 marks on th  
I got this at a sale and have no idea what it is. It is 6" x 9" x 3.5". It is silver tone with 5 metal marks on the bottom. I purchased it in Minnesota. It is one entire piece except with the lid on the biggest well.

Thanks for the question.  Although my expertise is american art pottery,l I think what you have here is a european smoking set in pewter.  I can't 100% sure, but one tall cup would be for cigars, one for matches and the small one may have had a little cutter in it for the tips of the cigars.  And the large part would be for the ashes which would stay covered to keep the ash fumes at bay.

Remember I'm only speculating, but I've seen smoking sets like this many times in metal and silver, and they generally follow the same design as the one you've shown here.

Good luck with it.  Looks like a very cool piece.

Thanks again.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

I endeavor to answer all questions relating to the "identification" of American Art Pottery from the period of roughly 1880 through 1920. I specialize in the area of arts & crafts period pottery but do not limit myself specifically to that time period.

I have 20+ years experience buying, selling and identifying American Art Pottery both on the web, to private clientele and in a brick and mortar shop in Massachusetts.

Masters degree in Education.