Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Repairing old scales and balances

Hello!  I've finally taken on the project of decorating my home office.  I've worked for years as a chemist, so scales and balances were an obvious choice.  I've purchased several scales and analytical balances on eBay, but some are missing components.  Are there any sources of replacement parts for these items?  Alternately, are there prints or drawings of these components that would allow me to duplicate them?  I'm primarily concerned with Christian Becker and Seederer Kohlbusch analytical balances and a CB Specific Gravity scale.

Henry Ardiff

Hi Henry,
We recommend a book, "The Assay Balance, Its Evolution & the Histories of the Companies that made them" by John & Geraldine Shannon.  There are no retail sources of replacement parts that we know of.  You may get some help by going to google and searching patents for Becker balance, Seederer balance, and Kohlbusch balance. Each of these had numerous patents issued to them and have detailed drawings within their patent pages.

Hope this is of some help,

Bill & Jan

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia