Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Bob Wiley

SubjectDate Asked
Roll top desk repair5/7/2009
  Q: I have a roll top desk in which the roll top has partially caved in when the top was closed. I ...
  A: well, if you are in Mass or southern NH come to my shop otherwise. I will try to help you with the ...
Mersman Table5/4/2009
  Q: I got this lovely table at a sale and would like to know the age, style and value, if possible. I do ...
  A: much better, thanks you have a round mahogany (sometimes called a tambour) table with a lyre base - ...
Antique upholstered rocking chair and stool4/28/2009
  Q: I purchased this about 25 yrs. ago, I was told that it was over 90 yrs. old at that time. To my ...
  A: good morning CJ you have an Eastlake rocker and stool - looks to be in very nice condition, most ...
brass on furniture4/24/2009
  Q: just bought a chest of drawers with brass handles,previous owner has brassoed the handles and ...
  A: hey stephanie easy fix soak them in warm water and remove the buildup with a soft nylon brush (old ...
Water Damage4/16/2009
  Q: We are dealing with an insurance company who has sent their own "furniture repair/refinishing" ...
  A: good morning first, I don't know anyone in fl who could help you although most of the reputable ...
Thomasville dresser4/12/2009
  Q: I have a tall 5 drawer (top 2 drawers have dividers) dresser that needs some repairs. It has a ...
  A: good morning christian the veneer is covering some type of base wood or particle board, if you ...
cedar chest3/31/2009
  Q: I just picked up a used cedar chest and found out that there are 2 slightly long cracks in the ...
  A: good morning Lorraine unless you are a skilled finisher I would suggest you leave the cracks alone, ...
moving antiques from humid to drier climate3/30/2009
  Q: Wiley, Thank you very much for being available to take my question. I am living in the Caribbean ...
  A: Ms Snow I think the best solution would be for me to move to the Caribbean and act as your personal ...
Antique rocker with cane back and seat3/24/2009
  Q: This old rocker is probably maple, and the cane seat and back were hand woven and attached via ...
  A: good morning Amy a good refinisher should be able to remove the finish without damaging the caning ...
secretary desk3/11/2009
  Q: I recently purchased this desk from an antique store. The information sticker that was attached to ...
  A: the photo helps what you have is a mission style oak slant front desk the dark color is due mostly ...
Antique Cedar Chest3/4/2009
  Q: I have a antique (circa 18??) cedare chest that has been in my family for years. It is handmade, ...
  A: good morning Lorena it sounds like you have a wooden (steamer) trunk although I could tell better ...
Cloudy Finish on DR Table2/23/2009
  Q: Bob. The finish 9on our dining room table has become cloudy in the past year and a half - this table ...
  A: good morning sue congrats on stopping smoking you and your furniture will be much better what you ...
fingerprints on unfinished wood2/9/2009
  Q: I have some unfinished wood cabinet doors which have not been stained. Due to everyday use, the oil ...
  A: unfortunately there is no product that will remove the fingerprints but you can sand them off I ...
Wooden Ansonia clock finials1/29/2009
  Q: Would you happen to know of anyone who could provide me with the correct walnut wooden finials for ...
  A: good morning Dennis any good restorations shop would be able to reproduce them for you using period ...
Old inner spring chair1/27/2009
  Q: How would I go about restoring a 1912ish inner spring club chair it has springs in the back, arms, ...
  A: good morning zachary if you have never upholstered a chair before you've picked a tough one to start ...
Duncan Fife or Phyfe1/24/2009
  Q: The correct name? I have found info on both spellings. I acquired all of my grandmothers furniture. ...
  A: good morning Denise the correct spelling is Phyfe and he made furniture in the early 1800's so what ...
Windsor Comb Back Rocking Chair1/5/2009
  Q: I purchased a windsor comb-back rocking chair at an auction with its original paint. Some of the ...
  A: good morning Monica beautiful chair you can tighten the spindles with a product call Chair Loc if ...
antique chair1/1/2009
  Q: We have enclosed a picture of this chair and we were hoping that you could identify it for us. It ...
  A: good morning Armand nice looking chair the wood may be mahogany, you can probably clean up the ...
Lane Cedar Chest12/29/2008
  Q: I received a lane cedar chest with upholstered top in 1970. It has scroll work on the front. The ...
  A: good morning Pam hope you had a good holiday in 1970 Lane was using a polyurethane finish which is a ...
repairing the split in my table top12/12/2008
  Q: We have an old dropped leaf table we would like to repair, if possible. There is a split in the ...
  A: good morning cheryl all is not lost to repair this type of damage in my shop i follow these steps: ...
re-covering Eastlake chairs - stuffing?12/1/2008
  Q: I am going to attempt to recover 2 Eastlake parlor chairs that have seat cushions and small back ...
  A: good morning Christi In a word yes - you can obtain new horsehair and excelsior but it is expensive ...
Off Gassing of old Drexel Lacquered desk12/1/2008
  Q: I purchased a Drexel black lacquered chinoiserie desk, which is supported by 2 bamboo pedestals. ...
  A: good morning Elaine some lacquers have a very distinct odor which may persist for some time a ...
chair question11/27/2008
  Q: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AcOGzFs2bOGLvI the above is for photos of the chair ...
  A: good morning Jim you have a Martha Wahington chair the wood is mahogany fortunately the cover needs ...
wingback chair11/14/2008
  Q: I'm unable to send a pic. My chair was stuffed with pig & horse hair, & straw. It is a wingback. Is ...
  A: good morning tiger (not woods i suppose) sounds like an interesting chair difficult to tell the age ...
Antique Rocking Chair11/13/2008
  Q: Wiley, I am trying to get some info on this platform rocker. My wife thinks it was purchased in the ...
  A: good morning mark I don't believe your rocker is american made - the lines look more European and I ...
Antique Rocker11/10/2008
  Q: I am trying to identify two things about this rocker. One - What is the name of the style and two - ...
  A: good morning Krista your rocker is probably a reproduction of a rococco period (mid 18th century) ...
General Idea - Is this a good piece?11/6/2008
  Q: Please see the attached image. This is a love seat that was in my parent's house - it is supposedly ...
  A: good morning arthur you have a reproduction victorian loveseat made in the 1950's there is not ...
Furniture manufacturer11/6/2008
  Q: We have a couple of chairs with layers of paint we want to refinish. We found a label on the seat ...
  A: good morning Jackie you might try softening the paint with lacquer thinner (use with plenty of ...
Rocking Chari11/3/2008
  Q: I bought this chair at a auction. They new nothing about it, it looks hand made. I cant find any ...
  A: good morning Joy your rocker is in the style of a Martha Washington chair the wood appears to be ...
Rocking Chair reup10/30/2008
  Q: I purchased an older rocking chair that needs the seat repaired. Can you tell me about how old the ...
  A: good morning Doug the chair is a shaker style ladder back which doesn't look that old given the ...
gooseneck rocking chair10/22/2008
  Q: I have this gooseneck rocking chair that was retrieved in pieces from an antique shop in bad shape ...
  A: your rocker is not a lincoln rocker but either a rose carved or grape carved rocker - take a look at ...
vandlized furniture10/20/2008
  Q: I have an very old secretary that my son inherited from his great great aunt. it was in storage ...
  A: good afternoon Yvonne sorry about your secretary the removal process is really going to depend on ...
VARNISH BATHROOM ANTIQUE10/15/2008
  Q: I recently mounted a vessel sink onto an old painted Chinese cabinet in a guest bathroom. Now am ...
  A: good morning JULIE WARNING!!!! be careful about using any solvent based finish as you might disslove ...
settee finish10/12/2008
  Q: Can you tell me what wood this settee is made of? It has a beautiful grain and is reddish. Also, ...
  A: good morning Annie the wood appears to be mahogany the age is a tougher question my first guess ...
Antuque Dresser10/11/2008
  Q: Wiley- My Mother purchased a couple of pieces at an estate sale about twelve years ago. I have no ...
  A: good morning Christina your pieces are typical of the arts and crafts period (around the 1920's) is ...
table10/10/2008
  Q: I was thinking about restoring this antique table from my mother but I am not sure what kind of ...
  A: hey George nice table I am assuming it has several leaves the question I always ask my clients - is ...
Childs morris chair10/7/2008
  Q: I have this childs morris chair. i am looking to find out any info. Age, value anything about ...
  A: good afternoon Susan very nice chair looks to be oak - cleans up very nicely usually with denatured ...
Lawrencia furniture makers and marks10/7/2008
  Q: My parents found me a small armoire at a thrift shop with a bottom drawer and double doors on it It ...
  A: good morning Lynell sounds like you are well on your way to an interesting restoration I use the ...
identifying a finish10/4/2008
  Q: I have a dresser & nightstand from an older (??) bedroom set in need of some restoration. I believe ...
  A: good morning Gen It sounds like you have 20h century furniture that was probably made prior to 1940 ...
unusual chair10/1/2008
  Q: I've attached pictures of a chair that I can't find information on. I have four of them. I would ...
  A: your chairs are a type of oak bentwood chair (kitchen chairs) the metal rods on the rungs are a ...
restoring an old perambulator9/26/2008
  Q: I don't know if you can help me, as a perambulator is not furiture per se, but I have puchased this ...
  A: good afternoon Becki the material is probably vinyl and you can purchase a similar material at any ...
To repaint or not to repaint...9/24/2008
  Q: I've just purchased a very unique art-deco bedroom suite at auction (single bed, night stand, ...
  A: good morning Mike I will tell you what I tell my clients - did you purchase the set as an investment ...
Lane Chairs9/18/2008
  Q: Hoping you can help or direct me. I recently received my grandmothers Lane dining room set and I'm ...
  A: good morning lori I am not sure you will find an exact match but if you have a good restoration guy ...
Removing paint stripper9/17/2008
  Q: We used a soy based stripper to remove layers of paint on our 200 year old twelve over twelve ...
  A: wow what a problem i resd the product info sheet provided by the manufacturer and don't really have ...
Restoring Old Chairs9/16/2008
  Q: I have a set of Burkhardt and Stomp East Lake chairs dated 1884 Ohio. The uphostery is lose fitting ...
  A: if the upholstery is in good condition, there is no reason to replace the fabric you can tighten up ...
Furniture Refinishing9/15/2008
  Q: I am refinishing/ restoring an old oak rocking chair as a gift for a relative. I am trying to ...
  A: WOW I don't think I have ever had so much information for a question, not convoluted at all just ...
Upholstery for a childs rocking chair9/12/2008
  Q: I inherited a unique childs rocking chair that is missing the upholstery on it. Can you tell me ...
  A: good afternoon vickie what you have is an arts and crafts period (1880-1910) childs rocking chair ...
need help refinishing a cherry china cabinet9/11/2008
  Q: I picked up a china cabinet that I fell in love with, got it home and it sunk in that it is going to ...
  A: good morning jessica I hope you don't care about your manicure because this is a little rough on the ...
Rocking Chair9/9/2008
  Q: I have recently found a " wing back" cane back and seat rocking chair with talon and ball feet on ...
  A: good morning jennifer very nice chair the ball and talon (ball and claw) is in the chippendale style ...
Chaise longue9/8/2008
  Q: I wondered if you can help me date a chaise longue. I've attached an image. I'm not sure if it's ...
  A: good morning Kate you have a victorian fainting couch - looks like it was recently upholstered the ...
old bed frames9/6/2008
  Q: I was wanting to date an old bed frame from my Great grandmother. It is metal, I think brass. It ...
  A: probably not brass but it sounds like and old iron bed Krylon makes great spray paint for metal (you ...
Mfg of platform rocker9/3/2008
  Q: Ho, I"m trying to learn about a pair of platform rockers in preparation for selling them. They were ...
  A: Good morning Shirley if there are manufacturer marks they would typically be on the inside of the ...
Chifferobe?9/1/2008
  Q: I have this piece received from my Mother who received it from her Mother. I am not sure what it is ...
  A: good morning Karen thanks for the photo You have an Armoire made in the 40's ot the 50's, the right ...
Nursing Chair?8/31/2008
  Q: I have just purchased this chair and I would like to know more about the style. I was told the ...
  A: good morning Sheila From the style the chair could be 100 years old, but on an upholstered piece you ...
how to care for this armoire??8/31/2008
  Q: I just purchased this piece of furniture yesterday. I know that it needs cleaned but am afraid of ...
  A: good morning Linda Interesting armoire it appears to be new construction the protection that I ...
rocking chair8/29/2008
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me anything about this chair. The chair came from my grandmother ...
  A: good morning kristin your chair is made of oak, the seat appears to have a veneer laminate which i ...
refinish??8/29/2008
  Q: I have no idea what period of time this chest is from or if it has any antique value, therefore, I ...
  A: you have an eastlake (1880-1890) late Victorian period dresser or server. if it is a dresser it may ...
upholstered child's platform rocker8/27/2008
  Q: I have a child's upholstered platform rocker which my Father-in-Law restored (he was both a master ...
  A: good morning cheryl sorry i can't find anything in any of my usual sources about the company a lot ...
Oak dining chairs8/26/2008
  Q: I just purchased a set of 6 of these oak chairs and want to restore them to their original look. ...
  A: these were typically kitchen chairs in the 30's, 40's and 50's they are made of oak and were covered ...
Antique Chair8/21/2008
  Q: I just purchased this chair at an auction. The style is very confusing and I just can't seem to date ...
  A: This appears to be a chair from the arts and cradts period (late 19th -early 20th century)and would ...
library table8/21/2008
  Q: I have in my possession an antique library table that came out of an old Chicago public school ...
  A: good morning Mark Without a photo I am just guessing butI have seen tables similar to yours that are ...
Chifferobe8/13/2008
  Q: I have a oak Chifferobe that was purchased at auction the year I was born. it has 6-1-07 in maybe a ...
  A: without a photo your request is going to be tough but here goes what you have described is an ...
wardrobe or chifferobe8/12/2008
  Q: I have a maple piece of furniture thats been in the family for years and cannot find information on ...
  A: good morning Pat it sounds like you have a Victoria Armoire, probably from around the 1860's but it ...
Duncan Fife Table8/10/2008
  Q: My aunt has what she thinks is a Duncan Fife table. She's had it for a very long time but has just ...
  A: Duncan Phyfe (correct spelling) made furniture in the early 1800's in the New York area and it is ...
mahogany drop leaf table8/6/2008
  Q: Can you tell me how to tell if an antique table is solid mahogany or mahogany veneer? I could not ...
  A: good morning sue you have to look closely at the edge of the table if you see a line less than 1/16" ...
Antique platform rocker7/28/2008
  Q: I have come across a few web sites where you answer questions about furniture. I have an old chair ...
  A: Good morning Sue very nice rocker i would date it to about 1850 and is in the style of a socalled ...
antique leather morris chair7/27/2008
  Q: I have just had the wooden portion of an antique leather quarter sawn oak morris chair restored. ...
  A: good morning in my opinion I think you have to ask yourself, do you want an investment or do you ...
antique kitchen cabinet7/24/2008
  Q: I recently purchased an antique kitchen cabinet from a consignment store who did not know any info ...
  A: are you sure the piece is made of pine?? Most Hoosiers were made of oak and often made in the ...
Repair Question7/23/2008
  Q: I recently bought an upholstered platform rocking chair at a flea market, knowing that it needed ...
  A: you are missing a double spring mechanism that attaches the chair to the platform you might be able ...
chair7/21/2008
  Q: Bought this chair at a garage sale for 10 dollars. Do you think it is worth anything more?Can send ...
  A: good morning your chair is from the arts and crafts period it appears to be made of oak with a ...
Antique Dining Set Needs Arm Chairs7/18/2008
  Q: I have recently inherited my great grandmother's oak table with 4 side chairs. After refinishing ...
  A: what you have is a so called Lyre Back chair. You should be able to find a close match in ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bob Wiley

Top Expert on this page