Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Dennis Wolbach

SubjectDate Asked
Vintage silver tone metal container9/15/2016
  Q: I got this at a sale and have no idea what it is. It is 6" x 9" x 3.5". It is silver tone with 5 ...
  A: Sonia, Thanks for the question. Although my expertise is american art pottery,l I think what you ...
Value or age of this chair7/30/2016
  Q: I bought this chair for 25 bucks from a storage unit. I was wondering if it's worth more and how ...
  A: This is a reproduction of an old steam bent victorian chair. Although it is a fairly modern ...
Sofa Table7/17/2016
  Q: Hey. I got a depression era china cabinet. Got a old sofa table. Like to send you pics of it and get ...
  A: Bill, These are a little tougher to value. I would need to see some close up photos from ...
more images7/12/2016
  Q: Sorry sent 2 more images. Thank you
  A: Bill, Generally nice pieces, fairly decorative for their time given that money was tight ...
Teapot7/2/2016
  Q: First of all, I would like to apologize because I understand that your expertise is in American ...
  A: Karen, Looks like the mark is from a teapot made in 1954 or later - English - which you know and ...
United Wilson Porcelain Lamp6/29/2016
  Q: I've acquired a heavy Porcelain Lamp that has a blue United Wilson 1897 mark on the bottom. Can you ...
  A: Mallory, From many accounts I researched, it seems as though this is a piece produced (and ...
Glassware6/24/2016
  Q: Do you answer questions about 20th century glassware ? Specifically, about Blenko glassware ? ...
  A: Karen, I wish I could help, I really do but I'm just to clueless to offer any decent advice. Have ...
Gilner Rooster cookie jar3/16/2016
  Q: I recently found a Gilner Rooster Cookie jar with G-622, on the bottom also is handwritten into the ...
  A: Jolie, Thanks for the question. It looks like operations ceased around 1958 for Gilner but like ...
lamp1/12/2016
  Q: Can u tell me anything about this beautiful lamp I've been looking for a long time an found nothing ...
  A: Deserie, Unfortunately, I don't think I can tell you much toher than it looks lke a blown glass ...
dale and Davis12/19/2015
  Q: I have a large Dale and Davis jug and pitcher. Both have the British coat of arms stamped on the ...
  A: The mark is actually from the Prospect Hill Pottery I believe from Trenton NJ and they used a blue ...
Porcelain Lamp12/13/2015
  Q: Another item here: Any knowledge of the year/country of production, and the current value of this ...
  A: Alan Unfortunately that's one I can't help you with as it looks more like satin glass to me. Nice ...
Porcelain and Bronze Candelabra12/3/2015
  Q: First of all, thank you for having answered my questions so well already. I was wondering what ...
  A: Alan, It is always my pleasure to assist. Just remember to leave feedback which helps me too... ...
Ceramic Figures12/3/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about these twin porcelain vases with figurines. ...
  A: Alan, If you could send me a photo of each bases at close range so I can see the marks that would ...
French plates11/28/2015
  Q: I hope you can help shed some light on a few French plates I have. I have pictures of the plates and ...
  A: Curtis These are plates that were available through the Bradford Echange and painted in 1978 using ...
Painted Dish11/19/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about this painted fish dish, specifically ...
  A: Ok alan, This one is a late 19th century Limoges fish platter from about 1890. It looks to be in ...
Nippon Vase11/19/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about this painted vase, specifically approximate ...
  A: Alan, I'm sorry but I still can't make out the mark because it is not clear. It looks to be a turn ...
Antique Lamp11/19/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about this antique lamp, specifically approximate ...
  A: Alan, This one looks european but it could be american as well because both sides made painted ...
Painted Dish11/17/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about this dish, decorated with painted fish, ...
  A: Alan, This is a nice piece and looks original at first glance. I still need to know if there is ...
Blue Vases11/17/2015
  Q: I was wondering what information you could give me about this pair of blue vases, specifically ...
  A: Hey Alan, I'm always skeptical of pieces like this because they are so heavily reproduced. The ...
Antique Rocking Chair10/26/2015
  Q: i was hoping you can answer few questions i had about this rocking gliding chair. thanks. I found it ...
  A: Hey Jerry, thanks for the question. My area of expertise is american art pottery, but you are in ...
Porcelain Biscuit Jar9/17/2015
  Q: I am trying to find out more info regarding our porcelain Biscuit Jar. I will send pictures and ...
  A: Hey Bob Thanks for the question. My area of specialty is american art pottery but I'll take a ...
Identify pattern from US Artist9/14/2015
  Q: hoping you can assist me in identify a bowl made by ceramic artist Kay Mallek. She was born in 1913 ...
  A: Noreen, Thanks for the question. The bowl has a mid-century look but I'm guessing it might be a ...
Pottery Information Needed3/31/2014
  Q: Wolbach - I recently inherited some fine antiques from a dear friend of mine. One item is a piece ...
  A: Karen, Although my expertise is with american art pottery, this looks like it could be an old ...
1924 Trophy3/31/2014
  Q: We have been cleaning up our property and found this trophy. To be honest we are really quite ...
  A: Nicole, Looks like a silverplate trophy for a 1924 poultry show in missouri. Very cool because it ...
Newcome College mark3/27/2014
  Q: Would you please let me know if the attached piece is a newcome college piece?
  A: Neil, Looks like a Newcomb College mark to me although based on the red mark, it must be a much ...
Capodimonte?3/18/2014
  Q: I was reading your expertise and I am afraid this might not be the right question to ask. If you are ...
  A: Cynthia, My apologies for the late response. Even though this is out of my area of expertise, I ...
antique rocking chair3/16/2014
  Q: I have a antique rocking chair that was given to me. I've been trying to research online to find ...
  A: Wayne, Thanks for the question. Without a manufacturer plate or marking, it would be impossible to ...
Iron Stone China2/23/2014
  Q: I've been going through some of my mother's things and I think she may have some China of value. ...
  A: Melisa, Iron Stone is not my area of expertise, but it is still popular in places around the US. ...
Ball Mason jar1/23/2014
  Q: While going through Mom's things for Probate Court, I found a blueish Bar jar. The 'Ball' is ...
  A: Jon, Didn't realize I had this question, but this is a fairly standard glass mason "canning" jar ...
3 tiered Christmas cookie stand1/11/2014
  Q: Hello. I thought maybe there would be a chance you or someone you know could help me. My Mom had a 3 ...
  A: Allison, The best I can do is to send some emails out to folks I know who may know of this pattern ...
Identify bowl11/24/2013
  Q: Dennis, I need help identifying the maker of this bowl. I think it may be French but have not ...
  A: Donna, I'm not having any luck with the mark either as there were many French marks during the 19th ...
clay pot11/3/2013
  Q: .i have a clay pot picked up in a ma and pa store in southwest US...I know if its real it may be a ...
  A: Ron, Looks like a south American style pot to me, quite possibly a tourist piece. I would email a ...
antique irish rocking chair10/7/2013
  Q: Any idea on the year produced and the relative worth of this ishing rocking chair?
  A: Jay, You have a nice, Huntzinger-style stick-and-ball platform rocker from right around the ...
Antique Platform Rocker9/12/2013
  Q: I found this old rocker at a rummage sale today and fell in love with it. Can you tell me anything ...
  A: Ken, Looks like a nice example of a Victorian period platform rocker. Generally these pieces range ...
Questions for an article9/5/2013
  Q: I'm writing an article for Auctiva.com/edu about "antique collecting for beginners." If I may, I'd ...
  A: Sarah, My deepest apologies for taking so long with this reply. The late summer to September ...
Hedi Schoop9/1/2013
  Q: I have been given a Heidi Schoop vase and would like to know if you could give me a possible value ...
  A: This pottery was made in the mid-40's to the mid 1950's or so in Hollywood, California. There seems ...
Amethyst Mason Jar8/22/2013
  Q: I recently purchased a lavender colored mason jar at a flea market. I have done research at home ...
  A: Rebecca, Thanks for the question. Without actually holding the jar in my hands, it is difficult to ...
Ceramic/pottery platter8/4/2013
  Q: My Mom has a ceramic platter in beige with blue pattern detail inside, on the top side of the lip ...
  A: Craig, Thanks for the question. The piece you've sent me a photo of is a piece called "Ironstone" ...
Rocking chair from the Mayflower7/15/2013
  Q: I am reaching out to you concerning a child sized rocking chair that has been in the possession of ...
  A: Jeff, Thanks for your question. The youth chair is called a "thumback" chair due to the flattened ...
Stoneware7/14/2013
  Q: Wolbach, Good day to you. I know your profile said you are an expert in pottery and my question is ...
  A: Vicki, Thanks so much for the question, but unfortunately, stoneware isn't my forte. I wouldn't ...
antique value7/5/2013
  Q: I have many antiques and need to locate a certified appraiser. I live in Luray va Do you know ...
  A: Dawn, I live north of Boston, so I'm unfortunately unable to assist you on this one. What I would ...
McCoy Pet Bowl6/17/2013
  Q: Wolbach, Thank you for volunteering your expertise for this wonderful resource. I've used it several ...
  A: Missy, Looks like the real deal to me...I've seen quite a few of these over the years and the ...
R.S.Germany Plate6/7/2013
  Q: I bought a R.S.plate that has 2 transfers on it.It looks like the plate is cut in half.Both floral ...
  A: Dennis, Wow...haven't seen that one before. However, the only "errors" that seem to be worth ...
USA Vase5/23/2013
  Q: Hello I have this vase and I can not find any information on it I was wondering if you can help
  A: Nicole, Thanks for the question. The most prolific makers of "USA" pottery were McCoy and Shawnee ...
Unusual Newcomb Vase5/10/2013
  Q: . I'm interested on your thoughts regarding this Newcombe Vase.. I picked it up a few years back, ...
  A: Mike, Thanks for the question. My thoughts are that this is not a Newcomb College vase. From what ...
Limoges dish5/1/2013
  Q: I have piece of Limoges porcelain that my grandmother used as a dresser tray to hold hat pins, ...
  A: Rebecca, Thanks for the question. This piece of Limoges was done anywhere between the late 1890's ...
Hand painted plate signed C.M. Skinner3/30/2013
  Q: I came across this plate the other day and fell in love with it because of the beautiful image. ...
  A: Karen, I've never seen anything like it before and based on what you're telling me, it seems like ...
Red Wing cookie jar?3/26/2013
  Q: I tried researching this and found a picture of a Red Wing cookie jar that was tall and not low like ...
  A: Donna, I was unable to find this exact piece as well in the reference material I own, and couldn't ...
Trench art oil lamps3/19/2013
  Q: The seller of these oil lamps told us they are from the late 1800's. are they antiques? The burners ...
  A: Pam, Thanks for the question and photo, although it arrived upside down. The lamps do indeed look ...
Antique Pieces3/7/2013
  Q: I provided pictures below for my items in question. the first is a ceramic piece I have. It ...
  A: Chelsea, You do indeed have a Royal Bayreuth pitcher. The factory was founded in Bavaria in 1754, ...
Old Jug2/25/2013
  Q: I am inquiring about this old jug I found in the bottom of a box that I got from a storage unit. To ...
  A: Jim, Thanks for the question. This is a tough one, especially since I specialize in American Art ...
Help Identifying Gilner Rooster Cookie Jar 19592/7/2013
  Q: I have searched everywhere and cannot find one like it. It is a solid brown rooster with white ...
  A: Hey Laura, thanks for the question. The piece looks nice to me, but one can never tell these days ...
hedi schoopspanish dancer holding skirt one hand holding bowl with other hand blue dress with white ruffel marked 1002/3/2013
  Q: i cant seem to find her saw one with yellow dress could ther be another one like mine
  A: Maren, I'm certain there is another one like yours out there as Heidi Schoop figurines are very ...
charlotte reid pottery1/30/2013
  Q: My partner has a charlotte reid jug. we have tried to find out what it would be valued at - to no ...
  A: Jane, Thanks for the question. The jug is by Charlotte "Rhead", which is why you may have had ...
Glassware1/23/2013
  Q: Information and value of glassware that has been in the family at least since 1910. The name we were ...
  A: Susan, Thanks for the question, but unfortunately, my expertise is American Art Pottery and not ...
set of antique lamps1/22/2013
  Q: Good Day: I have a set of antique lamps,there are no marking on them from the maker,there are three ...
  A: Harold, Thanks for the question. It would be very difficult for me to answer all your questions ...
Maker Needed for Age of Angular Art Pottery Tea Set1/7/2013
  Q: I have an old art pottery tea set. When I found it I remembered having seen a known maker's similar ...
  A: Paul, Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, I have no idea who the maker is on your attractive ...
Hedi Schoop figurine1/2/2013
  Q: i have a Hedi Schoop figurine of a girl holding up the sides of her dress. the dress is ruffled and ...
  A: Sheilah, Unfortunately, I know very little about Heidi Schoop figurines. My suggestion would be to ...
What IS this owl??11/27/2012
  Q: I bought this owl at an estate sale. It is very pretty and well made. Just looking at it, I would ...
  A: Jess, By the looks of it, I would say you purchased a new pottery piece done in the last few years ...
Redware11/26/2012
  Q: I found this piece of redware at a thrift store for $3. Only one small chip at upper rim. Is it PA ...
  A: Looks like a very nice piece...could be turn-of -the-century at most as the "style" is more modern ...
red ware11/24/2012
  Q: I found this bundt/turk's head pan in my grandmother's things. Her family was from Pottsville Pa ...
  A: Kathie, Clear crazing is usually a sign of age...most of the time...but not always. It really ...
Antique Bowls11/9/2012
  Q: We recently acquired a set of four bowls circa 1920 which were in the original shipping box with the ...
  A: Rodney, They look like "spongeware" bowls to me. I can't be sure without looking to see if they ...
Identify rocking chair10/17/2012
  Q: Is it possible for you to identify this rocker and maybe a value in today's market?
  A: Patrick, Your rocker is a Victorian period, stick and ball style "platform" rocker, constructed of ...
pottery jug identification10/16/2012
  Q: I manage a historic house museum in Geneva IL. One of the few proprietary artifacts (from the ...
  A: Lynn, I'm not sure what this is as my background is more focused on american art pottery. ...
rocker10/9/2012
  Q: "Can you tell me anything about the pictured chair? I don't know where to start to find out it's ...
  A: Victoria, Thanks for the question. This is an oak (I think it is oak) chair from about the 1920's ...
Framed Diploma9/23/2012
  Q: I could not locate an expert on anything like this. I chose you because you are listed as in MA. I ...
  A: Stefannie, Unfortunately, it is not the diploma for Wilham Riley, as he started New Balance in 1906 ...
Rosenthal Bowl9/22/2012
  Q: I acquired this bowl in 1974 from a New York clothing designer whose name, coincidentally, was ...
  A: Robert, Fine China is not my strong area of expertise, but here's what I can tell you. I'm faitly ...
Old wall bracket9/15/2012
  Q: I found this old bracket that slides down into a part that attaches to the wall in the house we ...
  A: Connie, You are correct! You have an old oil lamp bracket from the late 1800's to very early ...
Footed ceramic bowl9/14/2012
  Q: and thank you in advance for taking my question. I have a footed bowl marked "Hall" 136. But ...
  A: Theresa, Thanks for the question. This looks like a studio piece of pottery, with the person's ...
Newcomb College figurine/vase9/12/2012
  Q: ..I am confused about this piece of pottery. It has the Newcomb College stamp...The N inside the C. ...
  A: Gina, In 1895 Newcomb Pottery was established under the direction of Ellsworth Woodward. The ...
Creamer & sugar set9/6/2012
  Q: I was wondering if you could give me some information on a cream and sugar set that I have. The ...
  A: Stacey, I can't sem to find any information on this mark at all. There was a lott of Bavarian ...
porcelain lamp?9/1/2012
  Q:
  A: Hey Collin, Looks like your piece is either american or english porcelain. You'd have to take the ...
hedi schoop8/25/2012
  Q: I recently found a Hedi Schoop planter, 12.5 inches tall, with a scored skirt, perhaps a Spanish ...
  A: Keith, Hedi Schoop pieces like this were primarily produced in the 1950's, which was the heydey of ...
Music box8/20/2012
  Q: I can't seem to find any information about this music box. It looks like Rosemary Clooney homing a ...
  A: Marty, I looked up the name but couldn't find any information on the person listed, and without a ...
Sebring Pottery7/30/2012
  Q: I have a vase marked Sebring Pottery on the bottom. Someone put a sticker that it was a wedding ...
  A: Tom, First established in East Liverpool, Ohio in 1887, briefly moved to East Palestine. Looking ...
Unknown Wooden Piece7/21/2012
  Q: Wolbach, I have had this wooden thing for several years and have always wanted to know what it was. ...
  A: Greetings and thanks for the question. Looks like a type of serving piece, with the larger plate ...
Pottery Collection7/20/2012
  Q: I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and I want to thank you, first, for volunteering your expertise to ...
  A: If you could send me some closer shots of the bases, I might be able to assist you. Put two or ...
Bird Ink Well7/18/2012
  Q: Wolbach, I purchased a little bird ink well at an estate sale and was wondering if you could give ...
  A: Kim, Sorry to say on this one, you purchased a reproduction inkwell. Original inkwells have VERY ...
- Bosson "Cheyenne " Head6/7/2012
  Q: I recently acquired this item and was wondering if you could tell me anything about it?
  A: Russell, W. Ray Bossons designed the first 'Character Wall Masks' (Heads as collectors call them) ...
Mason Jar6/2/2012
  Q: I have not been able to find information on this particular jar and hope you can help. On the front ...
  A: Bonnie, Thanks for the question. I'd really have to see some photos to assist you on this one. I ...
Old Rocking Chair6/1/2012
  Q: I'm going thru several antiques / Americana I had in my storage, which I want to sell. They are ...
  A: Hey Staci and thanks for the question. I believe that this is a reproduction bentwood rocker. ...
mason Jar5/26/2012
  Q: I am trying to ascertain the age of my one half gallon Mason jar. It is clear and on the front says: ...
  A: I too enjoy old Mason jars, except I generally look for the more subtle, unusual apple green ...
Is this an antique scale5/11/2012
  Q: My uncle has many old items. He is interested in selling them but we don't know where to find the ...
  A: Looks like a hand-held market scale. Any markings or manufacturer's identification on it? That ...
Carousel Horse5/3/2012
  Q: Just curious if this horse is of any value...very pretty & heavy seems old Thanks! ...
  A: Mindy, Carousel horses like yours are fairly collectible, depending on their age. Yours seems like ...
Antique Rocking chair value4/29/2012
  Q: We found these antique rocking chairs in storage and were wondering what they might be worth. There ...
  A: Julie, I have a soft spot for old oak rockers, but unfortunately, the current antique market does ...
Unknown Pottery4/17/2012
  Q: I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out the maker mark of this piece. I am fairly new ...
  A: Susan, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner but my PC was in the shop for 5 days... This ...
arthur wood tea pot set4/5/2012
  Q: i have had this tea pot set for some time and i am trying to find out what its value is,i hope you ...
  A: Rene, Prices for ceramics are not very strong at the moment, but your set looks to be a nice one. ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach

Top Expert on this page