Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Barbara K. Acchino

SubjectDate Asked
George Washington Thimble9/18/2016
  Q: I see you responded to an inquiry in 2006 about a thimble with large GW initials made from a ...
  A: Since my original response was in 2006, I don't think I have written information or pictures. I know ...
Ketcham & McDougall silver & gold thimble1/25/2016
  Q: I have a size 9 thimble which is Sterling and appears that it has a "gold washed" band. It's in ...
  A: You did very well researching your thimble! It is, in fact, made by Ketcham and McDougall. They ...
Antique scissors?12/17/2015
  Q: I found these scissors while rummaging through some boxes. I can't find any information on them to ...
  A: You may have some luck researching the mark on the web. There are a couple of books out on scissors ...
Three more thimbles found11/12/2015
  Q: 1) The sterling thimble on the left (that I now can tell from your response to my previous question ...
  A: Thimble on left: Need a better picture of the pattern on the band. Also, please let me know if ...
Antique sterling thimble with star mark11/8/2015
  Q: Barbara, On the outside around the bottom of the thimble is imprinted "Sterling" in a half circle ...
  A: First let me apologize for the delay - I was traveling and had no access to my reference books and ...
Ketchum McDougall Thimble10/20/2015
  Q: I got this thimble from someone who bought it to scrap. I don't know much about this kind of thing ...
  A: As a thimble collector I'm glad you saved this little treasure! I've found a picture of it in ...
thimble collection9/21/2015
  Q: Barbara, I have recently inherited a collection of 200 + thimbles and I have no idea where to ...
  A: It's a bit too big to be a needle holder. If you plan to store your thimbles, I would clean them ...
Wooden Darning Egg4/18/2015
  Q: What is a wooden darning egg worth if I were to place it for sale? It's entirely made of wood. It ...
  A: Wooden darning eggs were mass produced and don't bring much on the secondary market. You can check ...
Thimble12/5/2014
  Q: Do you know this maker's mark? Can you tell me anything about this thimble as far as collectability? ...
  A: Your thimble was made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. They still make thimbles today. Your ...
Thimble Maker12/5/2014
  Q: Wondering if you can tell me the maker of this thimble? Any additional info would be greatly ...
  A: Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia PA made this thimble. They used this "keystone" mark on their ...
Sterling Silver Thimble11/12/2014
  Q: I have a very old (antique?) sterling silver thimble in its original jewelers box and was hoping you ...
  A: Your thimble was made by Ketcham & McDougall, NY NY. They were in business from 1832-1932. I'm ...
Identification of thimble11/9/2014
  Q: I have a silver thimble with five marks on the inside of the apex. The thimble is not round and is ...
  A: I can't tell you anything specific on the marks as I can't really read them from the picture you ...
Sewing scissors and needle boxes value?6/20/2014
  Q: I have a pair of scissors from my great grandmother along with a couple of cylinders that held ...
  A: I'm afraid I am not versed on scissors����whole other collectible as far ...
I have no idea if this is a sewing tool but wanted to see if it was5/14/2014
  Q: I do not know what this item is- it was found in a drawer of a dresser that my Grandfather bought- ...
  A: Your item is a wooden sewing clamp. They were also called "third hands" as it gave the sewist a way ...
thimbles10/13/2013
  Q: My mother asked me to sell her thimble collection for her, and I am at a loss. I have looked ...
  A: It sounds as though you are describing contemporary/modern thimbles and I don't specialize in those. ...
Thimble ID9/17/2013
  Q: I found this thimble while metal detecting in Germany. I am hoping for some help identifying it's ...
  A: Are there any marks on the thimble at all....925 for sterling silver or 800 or any numbers like that ...
Thimbles5/6/2013
  Q: I was given a small collection of thimbles from my grandmother. She was given them by her mother. I ...
  A: If the two pictures you provided are representative of the thimble collection, they are ...
Coca Cola Aluminum Thimble3/22/2013
  Q: I recently got a coca cola aluminum thimble at a garage sale. The wording says DRINK Coca Cola IN ...
  A: Aluminum advertising thimbles were very popular in the 50s and were made in the millions. They were ...
thimbles3/21/2013
  Q: I found two thimbles among my great aunt's belongings. They both are from Simons I believe. One has ...
  A: The Simon's Stitch in Time thimble was issued in the early 1900s and re-issued in the 1940s. It's ...
Thimbles2/5/2013
  Q: I found this in my mothers stuff I can't find it anywhere. Do you know anything about it. I also ...
  A: Without knowing the marker's mark, all I can tell you is that the thimble pattern is referred to as ...
Thimble maker/origin2/2/2013
  Q: Can you place the maker of this thimble that my wife got from her grandmother over 60 years ago? It ...
  A: The maker of your wife's thimble is Simons Bros Co of Philadelphia PA. They used an Old English S ...
A thimble12/18/2012
  Q: Could you please tell if this thimble is German? It is marked "800" and "Italy" and has 5 petal ...
  A: Could you please include a picture of the top of the thimble so that I can see what the star-type ...
THIMBLE WORTH AND APOX YEAR10/23/2012
  Q: IS THIS THIMBLE A REAL SIMONS BROTHERS AND WHAT YEAR DO YOU THINK IS WAS MADE IT WAS MY ...
  A: Yes, this is a genuine Simons Bros. Co. thimble as evidenced by the Old English "S" in a shield ...
sewing tool10/18/2012
  Q: I have a red wooden sewing tool with a long loop on the end, I have no idea what it is. Wasn't sure ...
  A: I'm not familiar with this type of tool, but it does not look to be antique (100 years old) but ...
Cidu sewing and stitching appliance6/25/2012
  Q: I have a 'Cidu' sewing and stitching appliance that belonged to my grandmother and was wondering ...
  A: To be a true antique, it must be 100+ years old; your item isn't that old. I would say it comes ...
Thimble6/17/2012
  Q: I have an old thimble. I have found out that its a Simons Bro. Co thimble. It has a solid ring ...
  A: Your sterling Simons thimble has a double band.....one the plain wide band and the other consisting ...
Sewing Etui5/9/2012
  Q: I came up this sewing etui and would like any information you could provide on this item. Ive ...
  A: KS. Your sewing kit is beautiful. French hallmarks are one of the worst to try and decipher as ...
wood thread spools4/28/2012
  Q: I have several small wood thread spools that are shaped like Christmas trees, about 3" tall, have ...
  A: These spools are quite common and often seen with yarn or thread wrapped around them for decoration. ...
Sewing Needles2/10/2012
  Q: When my mom passed away I found a number of sewing needles in her sewing kit. The odd thing about ...
  A: I have seen little glass tubes with needles in them, but the needles weren't for sewing. They had a ...
Antique & Vintage sewing neeldes1/29/2012
  Q: I currently have about 232 antique and vintage sewing needle packets and would be interested in ...
  A: Needle packets are collectible. There are a few sites for collectors on the internet you may want ...
Antique sewing needles12/29/2011
  Q: I was going through my deceased mothers sewing kit and found a couple of interesting items. The ...
  A: Needle packets and needle booklets are collectible, however, there isn't a awful lot of value since ...
Thimbles12/6/2011
  Q: How do you know how old or how much a thimble is worth?
  A: There are many ways to tell the age of a thimble: when the maker was in business will give you a ...
Please help.11/20/2011
  Q: Acchino. I received an old thimble a couple of days ago from my mother. She had had it in her ...
  A: How nice that you have your Mother's thimble! I'm sure it has much more sentimental value than ...
Silver Thimble10/3/2011
  Q: Barbara, I recently found a silver thimble while metal detecting an old Richmond VA home built in ...
  A: You are correct in that your thimble is a size 9. If you look up inside the thimble, are there are ...
strange thimble8/28/2011
  Q: I acquired this thimble recently. I don't know much about it or even what it's made off. It looks ...
  A: You have a seal skin thimble, probably from Alaska. They are contemporary (less than 50 years old) ...
Antique silver thimble8/23/2011
  Q: I would like to know the value of this thimble and the safest way to process selling it for the best ...
  A: Your best avenue for selling this thimble is ebay. Since I can't really tell the condition of the ...
wooden thread spools8/19/2011
  Q: I have a lot of old sewing thread spools that are made of wood. Wondering what they are worth as ...
  A: Old wooden thread spools have a decorative value as those who like the country style will fill jars ...
crochet hook8/6/2011
  Q: I found an ivory? crochet hook. The hook itself is extremely tiny,it is 5 1/2" long. The top 2" is ...
  A: I've shared your photo and question with an expert on crochet items. I'll be happy to pass on ...
Sewing Tools7/13/2011
  Q: Are these old sewing tools?
  A: The item in the foreground of your picture is a crochet hook by Susan Bates. The other item, I have ...
Old Sewing Tools7/13/2011
  Q: This is from my Grandmothers estate and it was her mothers I believe. It folds up into a wooden box ...
  A: Your wooden box was made to hold sewing machine parts/accessories. It is also referred to as a ...
singer sewing machine7/10/2011
  Q: It is a 99k(it says this on machine) nut it does not have any serial number. Why is this??. Also i ...
  A: As my bio states, I don't know much about sewing machines, only antique sewing tools. There are ...
antique scissors german5/16/2011
  Q: I have a pair of scissors/shears. They are mad in Germany and say Adolf Menz wwe on them. When I ...
  A: I would need to see good digital pictures of your scissors/shears. There were many other uses of ...
PIN HOLDER WITH CORAL TOPPED PINS4/5/2011
  Q: I have searched the Internet to find out information but have not had any luck. the pin case is 1 ...
  A: Does your wooden case open up so that a thimble could fit inside? If so, you may have a mauchline ...
2 thimbles and a darning egg3/14/2011
  Q: I would like any info you could give me on these 3 items. First the darning egg. Its a sterling ...
  A: Your darning egg may have a value of up to $25 based on Estelle Zalkin's Handbook of Thimbles and ...
Thimble2/5/2011
  Q: I am a beginner digitabulist. I bought a thimble at an antique store a while back. It has no words ...
  A: It sounds like you have a pewter thimble, but I really can't tell you anything without a picture. ...
Drinking cup sized silver Thimble1/29/2011
  Q: I received this thimble as a gift from my Sister. She said she found it in an antique store in ...
  A: Your "jigger" or "thimble full" was made by Sheffield in England. It is silverplate. Since this ...
Thimble1/24/2011
  Q: I have enclosed a photo of a thimble with a straw case and lid from my husbands grandmother. Not ...
  A: The thimble holder is a sweet grass basket. Many claim to be made by native Americans, but since ...
gold thimble1/13/2011
  Q: The value of a gold thimble 120 or more years old and has a bell and an s inside
  A: Your thimble was made by Simons Bros. Co, a thimble maker still in business today. Their mark is a ...
Hershey Thimbles1/7/2011
  Q: I have 2 Porcelain Hershey thimbles. One is a baker man reading a book. On the front are the ...
  A: Your thimbles are contemporary/modern and probably mass produced for the tourist trade. It would be ...
thread spools Wood12/25/2010
  Q: I have a box full of antique wood thread spools all kinds and sizes. Do you know of an outlet for ...
  A: Wooden thread spools are pretty common, so don't command a very high price. If a local country ...
Ketcham & McDougall Early Thimble12/12/2010
  Q: I found a old dirty thimble at an estate sale and picked it up thinking it was an old sterling ...
  A: Congratulations on doing so much research! You've made my job easy. The Ketcham and McDougall mark ...
Silver Thimble12/5/2010
  Q: I have a silver thimble which I would like to identify. The pattern is a daisy like repeat and the ...
  A: The number 12 indicates the size of the thimble. FW stands for the maker, who was F. Webb of ...
appx 1931 thimble12/3/2010
  Q: I WAS GIVEN A BOX OF JUNK FROM A FIRE A FAMILY MEMBER HAD. TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY THE SMALL BOX ...
  A: Even without a picture, I can say DON'T THROW IT AWAY! From your description it sounds like you do ...
Size of thimble - difference in price?12/1/2010
  Q: Barbara, I have an original Salem Witch silver thimble size 10, a Stitch in Time size 7 and size 9 ...
  A: Size preference is personal....I know a couple of collectors that prefer the larger sizes and I know ...
Thread Dispenser10/28/2010
  Q: My wife's dad used this thread dispenser in his work. Apparently, it originated in Europe, but I'm ...
  A: This item is referred to as a sewing clamp or a pin cushion clamp or a vice with pincushion. This ...
Antique Sterling Silver Thimble & Holder10/10/2010
  Q: I have an antique thimble marked MKD Sterling inside. I have been able to determine that the ...
  A: The pattern on the band of your thimble is referred to as "fluted octagon." It is one of the most ...
Vintage Sewing Needles10/3/2010
  Q: I purchased a vintage sewing cabinet, and it had many vintage sewing items. I could not find ...
  A: Needle packets are collectible but since they were made in mass quantities they don't have an awful ...
brass needle case ALEXANDRA9/27/2010
  Q: my wife's dear mother passed away a few years ago and we have found some interesting pieces amongst ...
  A: Your needlecase is described in "Victorian Brass Needlecases" by Estelle Horowitz and Ruth Mann on ...
coca cola thimble9/26/2010
  Q: I found a red glass thimble at a yard sale ans it has the coca cola logo on it and it looks to me ...
  A: They thimble you describe is contemporary (not old) and was mass produced, meaning there is not a ...
Two old thimbles9/15/2010
  Q: I have two old thimbles that were my grandmothers (I think, it may be older then that.) One is a ...
  A: I would need to see good digital pictures to tell you anything about the first thimble. From your ...
the 1692 salem witch timble9/12/2010
  Q: I have the witch timble you were talking about with someone else aprox how much its worth? thanks ...
  A: Many things go into the value of a thimble, so I cannot tell you a figure without seeing a digital ...
thimbles9/8/2010
  Q: i have a two part silver thimble top half is a hand painted cat bottom just regular thimble ive had ...
  A: I need to see a picture of the thimble before I can provide any information. You can attach it to ...
Thimble holder/ thimble8/24/2010
  Q: From my parents estate i came across this sterling silver thimble holder, with two gold thimbles ...
  A: I would need better pictures of the thimbles along with any description of makers marks, etc on the ...
Possible thimble information8/19/2010
  Q: I've had this thimble for what seems like forever. I recently came across it again in an old box I ...
  A: It looks like you have a silver thimble that has a gold washed band. It is a size 8. Your picture ...
antique thimbles (inherited)8/11/2010
  Q: I have inherited several thimbles from previous generations when Mom passed away and am trying to ...
  A: I'm not sure what you are asking about your thimbles. If you are looking to identify the makers of ...
Antique Thimble8/7/2010
  Q: I have a 14K Gold Thimble has a 9 on side so I guess that means size 9. Has a Star on inside. Has ...
  A: I would need good, clear pictures of your thimble and the mark you describe. The star was used by a ...
Porcelain Pin Cushion7/29/2010
  Q: I have a vintage porcelain pin cushion that is like the one pictured, except that mine is in the ...
  A: You didn't mention if there were any marks on your train pincushion, so I will assume there aren't ...
w. avery and sons brass cas7/19/2010
  Q: Avery and Sons Redditch (No. 616). It is in the form of a wishing well (water well) and you turn a ...
  A: Yes, the wishing well is a needlecase, also referred to as an "avery" after the makers. There is a ...
"friends war relief effort"5/28/2010
  Q: ) I have never been here before. I found a small box of thimbles, and i would love a little info ...
  A: I am familiar with the Friends War Relief Organization of World War I. The thimble you describe was ...
thimbles4/18/2010
  Q: I have what appears to be an old metal thimble without a bottom. I'm wondering if it was for the ...
  A: I would need to see a picture of the thimble to be able to comment or provide any information on ...
My Mother's thimble collection3/30/2010
  Q: My mother had a long beautiful life. One of her passions was collecting thimbles. We lost her last ...
  A: The best advice I can offer in this situation is to ask the potential buyers to make their best ...
sewing basket3/22/2010
  Q: When I look up sewing baskets, I don't sem to find much ifo on this type. Would like to know age and ...
  A: Sewing baskets, like the one you sent a picture of, are quite common and very plentiful, which is ...
WIERD KLEENCUT SCISSORS3/21/2010
  Q: I PICKED UP THESE SCISSORS THE OTHER DAY. I THOULD I WOULD COME HOME AND ASK FAMILY OR NEIGHBORS ...
  A: Kleencut continues to make scissors to this day. Perhaps a letter to the company, with a picture, ...
Willimantic thread3/19/2010
  Q: I just realized that I have a wooden spool of Willimantic three cord thread, left twist, 500 yds. in ...
  A: Willimantic has a a long and interesting history. Google "Willimantic" to find numberous sites. ...
Thimbles3/19/2010
  Q: I found 2 thimbles in a old trunk from a estate sale in Chicago. One is Yellow with red writing that ...
  A: The following information is from the New International Edition Thimble Collectors Encyclopedia by ...
Antique Sewing Etui3/18/2010
  Q: I found this unique sewing etui. I think it may be of the Napolean III era. The mother of pearl ...
  A: The quality of the picture precludes me from providing specifics on your set. However, I do feel ...
1692 silver thimble3/10/2010
  Q: Many years ago the above mentioned thimble was found in the dirt at my ex-husband's grandparent's ...
  A: I don't see a question here, so I'm going to guess that you are looking for information on your ...
antique buttons2/23/2010
  Q: i'm 82 yrs of age and have many many antique buttons my mother startied collecting during the ...
  A: What a lovely collection you must have! I don't know anything about buttons, myself, but a quick ...
antique pin cushion2/21/2010
  Q: I recently acquired an antique pin cushion. It appears to be brass high heeled shoe. It says USS ...
  A: Pincushion shoes, usually out of pot metal, we a common souvenir item. Many had applied shields on ...
thimbles2/16/2010
  Q: I have a silver queen victoria and king Albert silver thimble and i was wondering what it might be ...
  A: Please send digital pictures of your thimble, showing views of the pattern on the band, any maker's ...
Old Thimbles2/6/2010
  Q: I have two thimbles from my Grandmother and would like to know if either one is of value. One has a ...
  A: I would need to see pictures to be able to tell you much of anything. Please send to me at ...
silver thimble in a walnut2/5/2010
  Q: i have recently aquired a silver thimble which is presented in a walnut that pulls apart to open it ...
  A: I would need to see pictures of both the thimble case and the thimble along with whatever marks you ...
Boye Self-threading needles1/24/2010
  Q: In going through our parents things I have run across a packet of self-threading Needles, Boye, Item ...
  A: Boye needles have been made in the millions, so they have very little value. You did not include a ...
Sewing Scissors1/23/2010
  Q: While cleaning out my recently departed mother's residence, I found a pair of sewing scissors which ...
  A: Are you able to send me a picture of the scissors and the marks? I need to see them to be able to ...
Thimbles1/13/2010
  Q: I see partial "sterling silver" stamps inside the two more simple silver ones. Only fagments of a ...
  A: Starting from the far left. 1. may be brass, gold plated or gold...I would need to see marks on ...
inherited sewing things...1/10/2010
  Q: Mom and dad have inherited many differnt items. Mom likes to display the sewing items but we're ...
  A: I would suggest two avenues for you: 1) If you can find a local antiques/collectibles dealer in ...
Scissors1/4/2010
  Q: I found a pair of unusual scissors with a double top-blade, the total length of the scissors is ...
  A: Although scissors can be considered a sewing tool, I find no reference to anything like this in any ...
Strange Thimble12/28/2009
  Q: I have recently found an older thimble and could use some help finding some information on it. It ...
  A: Your thimble is quite common and not an antique. It has a value of approximately $6-8 as it is not ...
Brass Mending Kit12/24/2009
  Q: I have a (seemingly) old brass mending kit. It is tubular shaped with the thimble sticking out of ...
  A: This style of mending kit has been produced since World War I. If the outside looks like it may ...
old needles12/22/2009
  Q: I have a needle pack/book of needles. The cover - Our Presidents Historical Needle Book Copyright ...
  A: Needlebooks and needlepacks are collectible but do not command very high prices, since they were ...
Thimble ID Help Needed12/10/2009
  Q: I know is an unusual question but can you help ID the age and origin of the thimbles used on the ...
  A: The thimbles used in the dagger are common and usually unmarked, so it is very difficult to provide ...
sewing tool unknown12/8/2009
  Q: I have looked and looked to try and figure what this tool is. It was in a box full of old sewing ...
  A: Your item does not look like any sewing tool I am familiar with. It could be an industrial sewing ...
Inherited Spool Cabinet12/6/2009
  Q: I inherited a spool cabinet from my grandmother. This cabinet has a desk type top with green felt ...
  A: Your spool cabinet is actually a desktop or display top type of thread cabinet. The top was used ...
Tiffany tape measure11/29/2009
  Q: I have recently acquired a sterling silver tape measure by Tiffany. It is round, approx. 1-3/4 inch ...
  A: First off, if I were you, I would give the tape measure to someone who sews rather than a carpenter! ...
Acme Pinking Shears11/28/2009
  Q: I am in possession of a pair of 1951 ACME Kleencut Pinking Shears, with a certificate of ...
  A: There are books on scissors and collectors groups for scissors, but scissors are not my area of ...
Steel Pins11/28/2009
  Q: I found a box of "Defender" Commerce Super Plated Steel Pins. They are heavier and stronger than ...
  A: I'm not aware of any straight pins being collectible. They were made in such great quantity, ...
sewing needles11/25/2009
  Q: i just bought an older chest of drawers, and found inside a package of needles, each about the size ...
  A: Needle packets and needle books are certainly collectible. Since they have been massed produced ...
belding spool cabinet11/21/2009
  Q: I have a 7 drawer Belding Brothers spool cabinet. The top 6 drawers are glass fronts. There is a ...
  A: Condition of spool cabinets is paramount in determining value. Whether or not the decals and finish ...
Sewing Tool, I think?11/14/2009
  Q: Barbara: Recently bought this tool at a sale, asked what it was and woman said she thought it was a ...
  A: I have seen similar tools and they were used for rug making. Google has a US patent search service ...
Fabric Measure11/2/2009
  Q: My mother recently found an old box in my grandmother's attic containg an eight inch in diameter ...
  A: Any chance you could send a digital picture. Based on your description, I'm at a loss. Have you ...
antique needles10/30/2009
  Q: I would like to know the value, if any, of a set of needles I found in my attic. They are in the ...
  A: I can't tell you much without a picture. Condition and whether the needlebook is complete has a ...
sewing chair10/27/2009
  Q:
  A: First off, I think you sent the wrong picture, as it is a picture of a person and not a chair. ...
Antique pin cushions10/11/2009
  Q: I would like to know if you can give me any information on this particular pin cushion?
  A: You have a shoe pincushion. Shoes are collectible in and of themselves, so you item would be cross ...
Coca Cola thimble10/9/2009
  Q: I have a Coca Cola thimble and don't know that it's worth anything. It is off-white plastic with ...
  A: Thimbles were used as promotional give aways quite often. Your thimble is probably from the 50s and ...
bone sewing tool?10/9/2009
  Q: A friend of mine has sent me the attached image of an unidentified sewing tool, do you know what it ...
  A: I can't tell from your picture, but are all the holes the same size? If not, it could be a gauge ...
Thimble10/8/2009
  Q: I have a thimble that was my grandmothers. I just want to know if it can be identified and where ...
  A: Many thimble have identifiable marks as to who the maker was, which can also indicate when the ...
Sewing Needle Brands & Production Dates10/3/2009
  Q: I found many unused packs of sewing needles in my Grandma's estate when we were cleaning it out. i ...
  A: Needlebooks are very common as they were mass produced as give aways. There are some internet sites ...
silver filigree needlecase9/25/2009
  Q: I have a silver filigree needle case circa 1800 which I belive to be French maybe English which I ...
  A: Your case does not look French to me, either. I found a picture of a very similar silver filigree ...
Worlds Columbian Exposition 1892 Thimble9/23/2009
  Q: I have a number 8 Worlds Columbian Exposition 1892 Thimble in mint condition. It has the words: ...
  A: Your thimble was issued by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia PA. They still make thimbles to this ...
Large shears9/23/2009
  Q: I have a pair of shears that look like they where made by R. Heinish they are about 13'' long and ...
  A: Shears that large were not normally used as sewing tools. There are a few books out on the topic, ...
timbles9/20/2009
  Q: I purchased a display case with timbles and would like to know how I can get info on their value. ...
  A: I can't tell you any information or value without seeing pictures. If you can send digital pictures ...
sewing tool identification9/13/2009
  Q: My grandmother's sewing basket contains a sliding wood tool shaped like a guitar. It has an eyehook ...
  A: I apologize for taking so long to respond, but I wanted to consult a couple of other collectors. ...
gold thimble with sterling silver case8/16/2009
  Q: I have in my possession a gold thimble with the number 8 stamped on the side and a floret? and ...
  A: The 8 stamped on the thimble indicates the size, but in order to tell you anything else about the ...
Reference Books8/10/2009
  Q: Are there any good reference books for sterling silver American thimbles? I'm looking for something ...
  A: I think the best reference book for American silver thimbles is one by Gay Ann Rogers. It is ...
sewing needles8/9/2009
  Q: In my grandmother's things (b. 1900), I found a pack of sewing needles. The package reads: Sharps ...
  A: At one time, needles and pins were very valuable. Needlepackets and needlebooks were used as ...
Pick-a-Pin8/6/2009
  Q: I have a small tin spring box, With the name "PICK-a-PEN" made in Sweden, came preloaded with 300 ...
  A: Needles and pins were once very expensive items so were protected. Even broken needles and pins ...
antique sissors8/1/2009
  Q: My grandmother passed last year at the age of 102 and while filtering through her estate items, I ...
  A: Your grandmother's scissors sound lovely, but I would need a photograph to be able to provide any ...
Old Thimble7/4/2009
  Q: I have what appears to be a very old thimble. On the inside bottom it says sterling and underneath ...
  A: rr.com. From the information you have provided, the number 6 is the size of the thimble and the ...
Vintage Thimble6/28/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me anything about this old thimble. Has the size 10 on the outside ...
  A: It sounds like you may have a sterling silver thimble with a gold wash band, but I can't tell for ...
sewing machine attachments and box6/22/2009
  Q: Can you tell me anything about a wooden sewing box, 3x3x6, which opens flat, full of Warren ...
  A: Without a picture, I am going to have to guess that what you have is commonly referred to as a ...
Antique Scissors6/15/2009
  Q: I have a pair of scissors that I have been unable to find any information about. I am hoping you can ...
  A: Because of the long length of the blades, your item would be referred to as "shears" rather than ...
thimble info6/11/2009
  Q: It is marked inside 925 s with a trident? There`s also a 3. Many thanks Andy
  A: That thimble is BEAUTIFUL. It is enamel over sterling silver (925 signifies sterling silver) with ...
silver thimble with hallmarks anchor, lion, C and 166/9/2009
  Q: Can you tell me the age and value of this thimble?
  A: I cannot give you a value without seeing the thimble. There are many internet sites that display ...
thimble id6/7/2009
  Q: Please can you help with any information on my thimble. Its not hall marked but its very heavy ...
  A: From the picture, I would say your thimble is a pewter reproduction. Pewter would be heavier than ...
Simons Bros. Thimble/Sewing Kit5/31/2009
  Q: I've had this sewing/embroidery kit in a drawer for years. It is in a small wooden box with green ...
  A: Although the thimble in your sewing kit may be a Simons, I highly doubt it is original to the case. ...
Old Thimbles 9255/24/2009
  Q: I have some old Thimbles with 925 and a star stamped on them. They seem to be goldish in color some ...
  A: Your thimbles are sterling silver, which is what 925 indicates.....925 parts out of 1,000 are ...
Old Beldings Silks Sewing Table5/20/2009
  Q: I am sorry if this falls outside your area of expertise, but I would like to get a feel on the ...
  A: I normally would not have anything to offer on furniture, but as luck would have it, a family ...
Royal Worcester thimble5/2/2009
  Q: Im trying to get info and to see how much its worth its fine bone china thimble from England it has ...
  A: You will find information on Royal Worcester thimbles and their painters at: ...
sutherland thimbles4/28/2009
  Q: I have 2 incomplete collections of thimbles and I'm having trouble getting any info. They are ...
  A: The thimbles you describe are more contemporary than those I am familiar with, but I can tell you ...
Wooden Thread spools4/27/2009
  Q: I have inherited a few wooden spools of thread and was wondering how a person would put these up for ...
  A: If you would like to sell your spools, the best avenue is the internet (ebay, or similar outlet) as ...
pewter thimble found with my metal detector4/23/2009
  Q: I found a pewter thimble which has the words forget me not around the base in old english lettering, ...
  A: Grant. This type of thimble was made to be given as a gift to someone special. Chances are the ...
Ketchum McDougal Sterling Thimble4/20/2009
  Q: I have a sterling thimble size 11 - apex has the MKD hallmark and the word sterling. The thimble ...
  A: I'm going to guess here, because you did not send a picture of the thimble itself. MKD is the ...
Thimble4/14/2009
  Q: How can you tell how old a thimble is? When was the marking "925" begun? What are the most common ...
  A: The picture of your thimble does look like hand hammered silver. I cannot tell you how old the ...
antique thimble4/11/2009
  Q: I have a thimble with a design on the outside and in the inside there are letters I think they are ...
  A: Without a picture, I am at a big disadvantage, but I'm pretty sure your letters are ALPACA and it ...
old sewing pin cube4/4/2009
  Q: I found this glass head pin cube in my Grandmothers sewing things, my Mother said that is how they ...
  A: Without a picture, I can only give you general information on your item. You have a paper ...
old kirby beard needles &H.Milward&sons4/2/2009
  Q: Good morning my name is Martin me and my wife have about 190 or so very old sewing needles that came ...
  A: http://books.google.com/books?id=T4O3vIHhjoUC&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&dq=needle+packets&source=bl&ots=J0b ...
1893 14 k gold Columbian Exposition Thimble3/26/2009
  Q: I have a 1893 14k gold Columbian Exposition Thimble #10 made by Simons Bros. in very good condition ...
  A: I would not venture a guess on a specific thimble without seeing a photograph of it. If you can ...
Silver sewing etui - from France? age?3/12/2009
  Q: Hoping you can help me. I have a very old set of silver sewing implements, in a case I refer to as ...
  A: Your sewing set is gorgeous! With the pieces being marked with a boars head, they are most ...
antique one-drawer cabinet3/4/2009
  Q: I recently got bought a cabinet that was labeled as "table-top desk". I,m not sure that is correct. ...
  A: Your item could very well be a display case from a store. I've seen desk/laptop models, but their ...
Thimble ID3/4/2009
  Q: I recently recieved a thimble that was my great grandmothers. It's brass with ornate scroll design ...
  A: From your description, I can only tell you that the double anchor mark indicates your thimble is ...
singer attachment and publications2/26/2009
  Q: I have a singercraft guide #121079 for making rugs on your sewing machine the only date found ...
  A: As it says in my profile, I know nothing about sewing machines or anything that goes with them. ...
tailor tack-it2/21/2009
  Q: Barbara, my husband found a Boye tailor tack-it pattern marker among his mother's sewing things. The ...
  A: You can research the patent through the internet (google has a great patent feature). I'm assuming ...
Old needle case2/4/2009
  Q: I found an old needle case, booklet style, with advertising for a life ins. company, made in ...
  A: Yes, your needlebook may have some value, but condition is everything. Your booklet needs to be ...
Shakespeare thimbles1/20/2009
  Q: Visiting Stratford-on-Avon in 1986, I bought 7 thimbles for about $20 each, I think, maybe a bit ...
  A: Without pictures, I may be way off base, but check out the "Minnie Maria" line of thimbles on this ...
thimbles1/15/2009
  Q: i have thimbles that my mother collected and wondered if you can tell me their possible worth? ...
  A: Yes, Vernon does indicate Lillian Vernon. I can't give you a value of you collection without seeing ...
Thimble11/17/2008
  Q: I have a thiimble w/ #6, 14 K gold, it has a bell inside with what looks like "s". It also has a ...
  A: From your description of the mark (an old English S in a shield) it sounds like you have a thimble ...
needlecase?11/15/2008
  Q: I believe these are needlecases. They are wooden and about 3" tall. Can you tell me when they were ...
  A: Yes, you have a set of character doll needlecases made in Germany. They have been known to be made ...
Old buttons11/14/2008
  Q: I have a two sided card of old metel buttons. They appear to be on the orginal card. There are 12 ...
  A: I'm afraid buttons are not within my area of expertise, but there are lots of sources out there for ...
darning10/23/2008
  Q: I own a Singer Nu-Way stocking darner kit. It is round - about the size of larger 50 cent piece and ...
  A: A Singer Stocking Darner is pictured on page 103 and detailed in "Darn It! The HIstory and Romance ...
old sewing scissors10/20/2008
  Q: I just found an old pair of scissors. They're about 4 inches long and the blade is curved slightly. ...
  A: During Victorian times, scissors were quite ornate as pieces in sewing kits and work boxes. ...
metal pin cushion10/19/2008
  Q: My mom is 105 now and I have her old pin cushion. It is 1-7/8" high almost 3" in diameter with 6 ...
  A: I would need a photoor photos to tell you anything. You can upload a picture on this forum or to me ...
thimble- with stones- antique or mass produced?10/17/2008
  Q: There is no manufacture make except for a star that is located at the top that can only be viewed ...
  A: The star on the top of the thimble indicates it was made by a German company. There were a number ...
Thimble10/16/2008
  Q: I think I have an old silver thimble. It has a mark of 3 bells on a shield, (see picture), but no ...
  A: The mark on your thimble is for Charles Iles of England. Early 20th century thimbles were marked as ...
MKD thimble10/13/2008
  Q: I have a thimble with a daisy like pattern around it. It is engraved with the name Sue on the ...
  A: Your thimble was made by Ketcham and McDougall, a thimble maker in NY City. They produced sterling ...
sterling & enamel thimble10/10/2008
  Q: I have found an old thimble in an old button jar from my mother's childhood home. I believe it may ...
  A: From your description, it sounds like the maker's mark is that of Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia ...
Thimble & Scissors10/1/2008
  Q: I have an advertising Thimble from C.& S. Furniture Co. I live in PA, the only place I found on the ...
  A: You don't say what material the thimble is made from, so I will assume it is a plastic advertising ...
Thread spools9/23/2008
  Q: I have inherited thread spools. Some of them are from Clark's, Star, Lily, j & P Coats, and of ...
  A: Because spools were made in such great quantities, thread spools, in general, have little value as ...
antique needles9/22/2008
  Q: I have been carrying my great-grandmother's sewing needles around for YEARS! I would like to know if ...
  A: Needle packets are collectible, but condition is extremely important. There were many different ...
ketcham mcdough thimble9/16/2008
  Q: There is a silver thimble nursery rhyme hey diddle diddle on e-bay , but I can not find it in my ...
  A: Ketcham and McDougall produced thimbles in New York, New York from 1832 to1932. American Silver ...
sewing tool9/11/2008
  Q: Can you help tell us about this sewing tool. We have owned it some years. picture. Thanks
  A: You have a wooden sewing clamp with a hoop attached. The hoop could have been used for fancy ...
scissors8/14/2008
  Q: I have a pair of SALEM WITCH FIGURAL SCISSORS DEPICTING A WITCH ON A BROOM; SILVER TONE METAL; ...
  A: You don't say what kind of condition your scissors are in, which greatly impacts the value, so I ...
collectible tape measures8/8/2008
  Q: I have collected in the last 7 years over 300 tape measures-they range from tourist locations ...
  A: There are two or three good books out on tape measures that include price guides. Considering the ...
tailor scissors8/5/2008
  Q: Universal is stamped on the blade of these small scissors. The blades come apart. There is ...
  A: Without a picture, I'm not sure that I can identify this article. There are books out on scissors, ...
thimble: how much?7/30/2008
  Q: I believe I have my great-grandmother's thimble. My grandmother was born in 1898. The inside says ...
  A: You have a sterling silver thimble made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. They have been in ...
thimble identificaion7/24/2008
  Q: I've found a very old, ornate thimble with my metal detector. I showed it to a lady that has over ...
  A: Yes, I would need to see a good digital picture or pictures in order to help you. Please do not ...
clark'S ONT cabinet7/20/2008
  Q: I have a cabinet that has always been in my family and I"m missing one the drawer pulls. Do you know ...
  A: There is a book out on spool cabinets that has a resources list. Unfortunately, I don't have that ...
Sewing Kit7/19/2008
  Q: I recently acquired an antique 5 piece silver handled sewing kit. Scissors are approx 3 1/2 inches, ...
  A: Can you tell me if there are any marks on the items, such as sterling or 925 or any trademarks? Can ...
Thimble - Alfred E. Smith7/19/2008
  Q: The Alfred E. Smith thimble I have is from his bid for president. It is not silver, but a silver ...
  A: You have an aluminum political advertising thimble. It would be cross collectible as there would be ...
antique seamstress tool7/14/2008
  Q: I was given this seamstress/tailor's tool by my father-in-law. He thought that it belonged to his ...
  A: You certainly have an intersting piece. I've not seen one like it, but I don't collect this type of ...
Ketcham & McDougall7/7/2008
  Q: My grandfather was a silversmith for Ketcham & McDougall and my grandmother was their bookkeeper. ...
  A: How very exciting that you have a family tie to your thimble collection! John von Hoelle printed a ...
silver thimble6/22/2008
  Q: would appreciate your help I have a silver thimble which has a series of holes punch through the top ...
  A: I'm afraid I'm not much help without a picture. Any chance you could send digital pictures to me at ...
antique thimble6/19/2008
  Q: Could you tell me something about this thimble? Age? Value?
  A: Your thimble looks to be made of base metal. It has machine knurling (those indentations where the ...
thimble with sewing kit6/12/2008
  Q: I just received a sewing kit that's probably brass. It is a little more than an inch across and the ...
  A: Sewing kits did come in brass, along with many other types of material. They were designed to be a ...
Scissors6/2/2008
  Q: I have a small pair of what I think are sewing scissors and I was wondering if you could tell me ...
  A: I've check through my personal reference library but find little on scissors. Estelle Zalkin's ...
Old Silver Scissors5/14/2008
  Q: Total length about 9 1/4" with engraving on handles and name is Betz or maybe Setz-Germany know they ...
  A: The size of your scissors seem to indicate they are actually "shears" and larger than scissors used ...
tatting shuttle5/12/2008
  Q: I purchased a Boye Tatting shuttle on the original card marked 29 cents. I was trying to find out ...
  A: I consulted two books on shuttles: Tatting Shuttles of American Collectors by Heidi Nakayama and ...
sewing needles4/23/2008
  Q: I found these needles tucked away in a box I bought at a garage sale. Can you give me any history or ...
  A: Needlebooks are collectible and still very reasonably priced. From your picture, the majority of ...
tape measure4/22/2008
  Q: I have a plastic bull-dog shaped tape measure that is about 2" high. I inherited this when my great ...
  A: I am at a real loss of information for you. However, there are at least three books out on tape ...
Ivory Sewing Tool4/17/2008
  Q: I have an Ivory (I think) tool and I have no idea what it's function is. The end holds a sewing ...
  A: I can't say that it is ivory for sure, as bone and animal teeth were also used to carve sewing ...
Dating a Simons thimble3/21/2008
  Q: I am interested in trying to determine the date of a Simons thimble I found metal detecting. I ...
  A: I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to pin down a date for you, since many thimble patterns have ...
antique rocking chair pin cushion3/18/2008
  Q: I recently bought a wooden antique sewing box and with it came a ceramic rocking chair that has has ...
  A: The ceramic rocking chair is a contemporary piece more so than an antique (100 years or older). ...
Singer Tracing Wheel & Tailors Thimble3/6/2008
  Q: These two items are amongst those inherited from my grandmother. The wheel is fold out (like a pen ...
  A: My email address is bacchino@twcny.rr.com Please send a picture of the tracing wheel and the ...
14k gold thimble3/4/2008
  Q: I have a 14k size 10 gold thimble. If you look inside at the top of the thimble it has a capitol A ...
  A: You have a thimble made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia, PA - one of the few thimble makers ...
miniature sewing kits2/25/2008
  Q: I've kind of stumbled into collecting what I call egg sewing kits. They're egg shaped, enameled, and ...
  A: There are a number of books out on the subject of sewing collectibles and an organization called ...
antique sewing tool2/22/2008
  Q: My husband bought this in upstate New York in 1976. He thought it was a buttonholer. The ...
  A: I'm afraid this item doesn't look like any sewing tool I've come across. That's not to say it ISN'T ...
Thimble2/17/2008
  Q: I have a 14k gold thimble dated 1891. How would I go about finding out a value and where I might ...
  A: Since you have internet access, you can research the thimble by finding similiar ones, there are a ...
Sewing needles2/17/2008
  Q: My mother found a wooden needle case and we were wondering about age and value. It is stamped on ...
  A: Boye is a needle maker who offered many different types of needle cases. If you cannot send a ...
pin cushion2/10/2008
  Q: What is the value of this pin cushion? About how old is it? It says made in Japan on the bottom. ...
  A: Items marked "Japan" could be from the late 1940s to the present. Without other markings, it's ...
Thimble mark2/6/2008
  Q: I have a beautiful thimble that has a maker's mark at the top of the inside. An image of the mark is ...
  A: Your thimble is made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. They use the mark of an Old English S in ...
sterling cupid thimble2/3/2008
  Q: I have a sterling thimble that shows 2 cupids holding a furled banner. It's marked 11, sterling and ...
  A: Your thimble was made by Goldsmith, Stern Company. The mark you describe was used by the company ...
sewing ,traveling kits2/2/2008
  Q: I have a sewing kit that is very old. It contains a lot of silver items ,crystal items, and ivory ...
  A: Palais Royal (Royal Palace, Paris France) is a place as well as a term used to describe the unique ...
betsy ross scissors1/27/2008
  Q: I have a pair of scissors 6inches long. they are stamped with betsy ross and have the number 83 ...
  A: I'm afraid I'm not up on my scissors! There are a couple of books out dedicated just to them, but ...
sewing kit1/20/2008
  Q: I just received a plaid(red & green) egg shaped sewing kit owned by my great-grandmother. On the ...
  A: There are many, many types of sewing kits out there. Condition and scarsity will have a bearing on ...
Irish Dresden Thimble1/20/2008
  Q: I have several thimbles from the early 80's that I plan to sell on E-bay. Of these, I have a couple ...
  A: I'm don't have much of an interest in contemporary thimbles, I do know that both thimbles that you ...
Spool Cabinet1/19/2008
  Q: I just found an old spool cabinet at an estate sale with a large double "C" on the back. The woman ...
  A: What a nice piece to have! There is a hardcovered, coffee table type book out on spool cabinets as ...
Thimbles1/14/2008
  Q: Is it good or bad to clean and polish old thimbles? My cousin just sent me a package of thimbles ...
  A: How nice that you have your grandmother's thimbles! There are two schools of thought on cleaning ...
Value of a gold thimble?10/22/2007
  Q: Barbara. I inherited a small gold thimble that is inscribed Mary L. May and deep inside, has a mark ...
  A: Without seeing the thimble, I can't tell you specifics. Any way you can send me a digital picture ...
1800's wooden needle10/4/2007
  Q: i was told that this was hand made by my great-great grandfather in 1844 and is a tatting needle. ...
  A: Your item looks similar to some tatting shuttles found in both Tatting Shuttles, Related Tools and ...
Thimble9/13/2007
  Q: I have a thimble possibly silver. Half way down the thimble it has 10 panels(that is all I can think ...
  A: I can't tell much from the picture you attached, as it isn't close enough to give me details of the ...
vintage darning egg with silver handle9/9/2007
  Q: My black darning egg has a silver handle and it looks like silverin is what is written on it. What ...
  A: Are you sure the word isn't sterling? Many ebony darners did have sterling handles. I've not seen ...
thimble value9/6/2007
  Q: I have a 3/4" tall thimble which has written in it "sterling". It also has enamel or porcelain 1/4" ...
  A: I would need to see a picture of your thimble to give you any kind of value. If you can send a ...
gold thimble9/4/2007
  Q: I have a gold thimble with a star stamp on the inside. Is this a maker's mark? I bought this in an ...
  A: The star mark inside the top of the thimble would indicate it was made by Waite. Thresher Co., ...
30 drawer spool cabinet8/29/2007
  Q: I have inherited a Winsted Silk Co. 30 drawer spool cabinet from my grandparents estate. There is ...
  A: What a nice piece to keep in the family! There is a book out dedicated strictly to spool cabinets. ...
Thimble and tiny sewing kit in one8/9/2007
  Q: I have a very small yellow sewing kit that I think is also a Liquor premium. It has a weird shape, ...
  A: You have a bullet shaped sewing kit. They were made as advertising premiums for all sorts of ...
thimble8/7/2007
  Q: I have a thimble with the following: World's Exposition 1892 And a hat shaped tape measure with ...
  A: Yes, your items have value, but I couldn't tell you more than that without seeing the shape they are ...
Bone sewing tool?7/30/2007
  Q: I have a bone item in the shape of a spinning top. It measures two and a half inches from the ...
  A: Yes, please send a digital picture to me at bacchino@twcny.rr.com. Also include why you think it is ...
needle7/15/2007
  Q: hi i have a sewing tool that was my late late grandfathers and i cant find out any information about ...
  A: I have consulted with a needle expert and she is at a loss without a picture. Are you able to send ...
Antique Needles7/6/2007
  Q: I have two very old needles that are rather large. They were given to me by my Grandmother and she ...
  A: I'm sorry for the delay in responding...I went on vacation and forgot to change my AllExperts ...
Circular Knitting Pin - knitting needles7/3/2007
  Q: I have inherited some of my grandmother's sewing items. One happens to be a Circular Knitting Pin ...
  A: How nice that you have some of your grandmother's sewing items. I'm not familiar with the circular ...
Mom's thimble collection6/28/2007
  Q: I inherited my mother's thimble and toy sewing machine collection. She has each one cataloged with ...
  A: I cannot speak for toy sewing machines, but I do know there are books and collectors groups ...
antique children's sewing machines6/23/2007
  Q: I am trying to find a machine similar to the one I had as a child. It was green, had a wheel that ...
  A: I'm afraid I can't help you with childrens' sewing machines, but there are books out on them and I ...
English thimble6/20/2007
  Q: I collect thimles and just purchased one yesterday that looks like brass. It says on it "Herman ...
  A: Your thimble is brass and it should say "Her Majesty's Thimble" which is a brand name. Although the ...
Thimble6/15/2007
  Q: I have a thimble that belonged to my mother and I am trying to find out how old it is. On the ...
  A: The thimble you have was made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. They are still in business ...
old needlethreader6/5/2007
  Q: I was meatle detecting the other day and I found a old needlethreader( silver in color, a womans ...
  A: Needlethreaders have been mass produced since the early 1900s. They were often used as an ...
Antique thimble6/1/2007
  Q: I have an antique thimble and am trying to identify the maker's marks. It is gold with a floral ...
  A: Anchors are used as a maker's mark and as an indication that they item is gold filled, so unless I ...
Thimbles5/26/2007
  Q: I have a Simons industrial thimble with USA SBC in the apex. I was told it was from a US soldier's ...
  A: Although the Simons industrial thimbles, made of nickel and oreide, were produced from 1919 to 1952, ...
Coca-Cola thimble5/23/2007
  Q: Many years ago, I purchased a red glass Coca-Cola thimble as a gift for a friend. The lettering ...
  A: I'm afraid the ruby glass Coca-Cola thimble is not an antique, but anything Coca-Cola is ...
Thimble Identification5/12/2007
  Q: Barbara,On the outside of the thimble is "9" followed by a "B" ?? Or it looks sort of looks like two ...
  A: The 9 on your thimble indicates the size, as they were made in different sizes to fit different ...
sewing needle case4/28/2007
  Q: I have a little cardboard case covered in a velvet type fabric. Inside the little case is about 10 ...
  A: Needlebooks and needlepackets are collectible, but I'm not able to tell you if your case is worth ...
knitting needles4/21/2007
  Q: I have a red white and blue set of knitting needles in a red white and blue case. mad by Susan ...
  A: Although I do knit, I don't know much about knitting needles. You are probably right with the ...
Boye sewing needle holder4/9/2007
  Q: I have a "Boye" sewing needle holder here is the url to see the photo I am wondering if you have ...
  A: Yes, I have seen those needle cases before. They were used as a store display for selling Boye ...
wooden sewing attachments box3/29/2007
  Q: My granddaughter has an old Singer attachments box that unfolds flat. When opened it has triangular ...
  A: Your granddaughter's box was made for industrial sewing machine parts and attachments. There should ...
Doll head thimbles3/1/2007
  Q: I have a collection of thimbles of which each is a doll's head from a different country. There are ...
  A: Your thimbles sound like they are the "Dolls of the World" thimbles. They were issued in 1981 by ...
pin box?1/7/2007
  Q: I found a lovely item at the antique store yesterday---it (I am assuming) a pin box. It doesn't ...
  A: Yes, I have seen similar items to yours. I'll do the best I can to give you information on it ...
early Ketcham & McDougall thimble1/6/2007
  Q: I have an older Ketcham & McDougall sterling thimble. I have spent several hours trying to find a ...
  A: Steven - you have a dropped rim thimble in the rose pattern. The patent was applied for in 1912. ...
thimble1/4/2007
  Q: Is it possible for you to give me any info on the thimble. can send a photo Thanks
  A: any engravings like initials or maker's marks (look inside, too), tell me if there are any holes in ...
Thimbles12/17/2006
  Q: I have come into the possession of around 200 thimbles in 3 display boxes, some of the Royal Family, ...
  A: I'm not familiar with the UK, so I may be referring you to someone who is not close. If that turns ...
antique sewing tool12/11/2006
  Q: I saw a question you had answered on 9/13/06 about a tool found in a tool box you had requested a ...
  A: A stiletto is an awl or pick type of instrument used in embroidery and sewing. It can punch holes ...
Old Fruit Pincushions12/8/2006
  Q: http://img490.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0562ub4.jpg Hi Barbara! I'm hoping you can tell me ...
  A: The strawberry is a popular shape for emories. An emory has a filling that is rough against the ...
Boye Needle Company11/27/2006
  Q: I have a wooden case that has patent # on it, but really cannot make the # out. Looks like 05 Jan ...
  A: Without pictures, I am at a disadvantage, but if what you are discribing is a wooden cylinder that ...
George Washington Thimble11/12/2006
  Q: I have a silver thimble that says "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT," and has GW in large initials. I'm ...
  A: It would be much easier for me to answer your question if you could send me a picture. ...
antique button10/12/2006
  Q: i have a button that has a ring of dots around the edge. a seven pointed crown over a caligraphic ...
  A: I don't know anything about buttons, but I do know there are a number of books out on the subject, a ...
Antique gold thimble9/30/2006
  Q: I was given a gold thimble with an amethyst top. I know it's an antique. The lady who gave it to me ...
  A: Your thimble sounds very interesting, but I can't tell you much without having some good pictures of ...
Thimbles9/20/2006
  Q: My Mum purchased a collection of thimbles,7 in all , they picture Henry VIII and his six wives, on ...
  A: From the discription you have given, I'm assuming they are a bone or china thimble and that they are ...
Boye Needle Display Case9/18/2006
  Q: Barb, I cannot find any information on a Boye needle display case. It is made of wood, 11 1/2 ...
  A: The display case you describe was used in stores to sell needles. They were popular in the 40s and ...
Thimbles9/14/2006
  Q: I have two thimbles I am curious about. One has a blue area at the bottom and has an ad saying ...
  A: You can send pictures to me at bacchino@twcny.rr.com It sounds like the first thimble you describe ...
Tool found in sewing box9/12/2006
  Q: I found a little wooden tool in a old sewing box. it is made from two pieces of wood that when lined ...
  A: Theresa - is it possible for you to send me a picture? bacchino@twcny.rr.com Without seeing the ...
thimble value9/5/2006
  Q: Barbara, I have a thimble from my grandmother. I know absolutly nothing about antiques of any sort, ...
  A: I'm not going to be able to help you much without a picture. If you can take a digital picture of ...
Wooden needle egg8/31/2006
  Q: I have a small wooden egg that holds needles. It is a light colored wood, Printed design. "ASBRO" ...
  A: Without a picture, I can't tell you much more than you have told me. Asbro was a either a company ...
wood thread spools8/27/2006
  Q: I have a bunch of old wood thread spools. I live in San Diego. Are there any collectors in my area ...
  A: I'm afraid I don't know of any group or person that collects wooden spools specifically. I know ...
Age of Antique Thimble8/8/2006
  Q: I have an antique thimble that I would like to know its age and origin. It is slender and has the ...
  A: Please excuse the delay in my response. I've been away at the THIMBLE CONVENTION. Without seeing a ...
antique tape measure7/26/2006
  Q: My friend has an old Tiffany tapemeasure passed down to her from her Grandmother. It is marked with ...
  A: Tape measures are collectible and so is Tiffany, so yes, I think your friend's item may be valuable. ...
aluminum thimbles7/13/2006
  Q: I have about 10 of the aluminum thimbles that have names of products on them--several are for a type ...
  A: You can look in the local phone book for antiques or collectibles dealers in your area or visit a ...
thimbles7/3/2006
  Q: I have amassed a collection of alloy nickel thimbles, star on cap (Mathis 602-605) they are in ...
  A: Without a maker's mark, it is impossible to identify the maker. These common thimbles were mass ...
Thimble History/Value6/29/2006
  Q: When my grandmother died, she left me five antique thimbles, one I believe is gold and I believe the ...
  A: Are you able to send me digital pictures of the thimbles? If so, send them to ...
antique German thimble5/26/2006
  Q: I was given a thimble by my aunt. She had rec'd it from her Godmother as a child. If still alive ...
  A: How nice to have a thimble with family history! Any chance you can send a digital picture of the ...
Darning eggs5/21/2006
  Q: I have a pair of china, light blue background with a dark blue willow pattern - egg shaped & ...
  A: I've consulted DARN IT! The History and Romance of Darners by Wayne Muller. He does not show your ...
Simons Thimble4/12/2006
  Q: I have an older thimble of my grandmothers that I am fairly sure was mfg by Simons. Can you give me ...
  A: The Simons thimble you describe is base metal from nickel-silver (which actually has no silver ...
Thimbletter II4/11/2006
  Q: I noticed that you list Thimbletter II as an organization that you belong to. What happened to the ...
  A: Yes, I was a subscriber to both Thimbletter, originally offered by Lorraine Crosby of MA, and ...
Antique Chatelaine3/27/2006
  Q: My husband purchased an antique chatelaine (complete) for me for Christmas. It is marked with a date ...
  A: Sounds like you have a great husband! Did you know there is a beautiful book out on chatelaines? ...
date/age bone china thimbles3/24/2006
  Q: 1Bone china Robbin Red Breast on branch. Other side branch with M.lgoe written under it. Inside, ...
  A: I don't collect china thimbles, but I have a friend who does. Mave offers the following: The ...
antiques3/20/2006
  Q: what determines what is an antique? is it age or just an experts opinion.
  A: Your question may have different answers, depending on who you ask. To me, an antique is defined as ...
Antique Thimble2/18/2006
  Q: I recently bought a job lot of thimbles from ebay and amongst them was a silvery example made of ...
  A: I couldn't tell you if your thimble is Nuremberg or 16th century without seeing the thimble. The ...
identify old thimble2/15/2006
  Q: I'M JUST WONDERING IF YOU WOULD HAVE ANY IDEA AS TO THE MAKER OF A THIMBLE I HAVE. MY MOTHER GAVE ...
  A: I could help you if I could see the marking. If you can send me a digital picture, please do so: ...
I am looking for any information on a Coca Cola metal thimble #52/8/2006
  Q: I am looking for any information on a Coca Cola metal thimble #5.... I have pictures but can't ...
  A: Chances are, you have an aluminum advertising thimble from the 50s. They were popular give aways ...
info on thimble1/27/2006
  Q: I am a collector of thimbles and I have one that I hope to learn some information on. I don't ...
  A: If the mark inside the top of the thimble is an Old English S in a shield, then it is, indeed made ...
Thimbles1/25/2006
  Q: I am looking for any information on a Coca Cola metal thimble #5....Thank you
  A: Without a picture, it is difficult to tell you much of anything, as I'm not exactly sure what you ...
darning eggs1/22/2006
  Q: I have old black egg my mother used in 30's. It's well pocked with needle marks. Is it worth saving? ...
  A: Believe it or not, darners are collectible. But the run of the mill, common ones don't bring much ...
thimble1/21/2006
  Q: i have an old thimble of my grandmothers that I am trying to see if it has any worth. she had said ...
  A: As a thimble collector myself, I must say ALL thimbles have worth :-) Without seeing your thimble I ...
Sewing Susan1/16/2006
  Q: My name is Megan and I just recently received a sewing kit from my Grandmother. It says Sewing Susan ...
  A: You have a needlebook. These were popular in the 1950s. Some have wonderful graphics and can ...
thimble1/16/2006
  Q: I have a silver thimble, it is old, that is all I know about it. Can you tell me more.
  A: I'm going to need more information than you have provided. Any chance you can send a digital ...
Sewing Table1/15/2006
  Q: I might call this a sewing tool. I have a wooden sewing table made by The Syracuse Folding Table ...
  A: What you describe is sitting in my Dad's living room! He's been taunting me with it for years :-) ...
silver thimble1/12/2006
  Q: I have a silver thimble with 10 panels on the lower portion. One panel is marked with a 10 and the ...
  A: The 10 mark on one of the panels of your thimble indicates the size. But that's about all I can ...
could you direct me to someone...1/7/2006
  Q: could you direct me to someone that could answer questions on an old sewing machine? thank you ...
  A: You can try these web sites: http://www.ismacs.net/ ...
gold thimble1/5/2006
  Q: i have a small gold thimble that i found when my dad tore down our old house in 1953. ihave no idea ...
  A: Any chance you could send me a digital picture? If so, send it to me at bacchino@twcny.rr.com. I ...
Metal thimble dated and marked Td May 13. 185812/12/2005
  Q: This thimble seems to be a leather working thimble because it has a very small pointed tip on the ...
  A: Any chance you can send me a digital picture? bacchino@twcny.rr.com I have a book of 52 US thimble ...
Leneige Thimble12/4/2005
  Q: Within my parent's estate, there is a thimble that belonged to my grandmother. It is placed in a ...
  A: You don't say what material the thimble is made out of. Is it porcelain or bone china or a material ...
thimbles11/30/2005
  Q: I have a thimble that I think is at least a 4th generation. I am 40 yrs old and it was my great ...
  A: I can't tell you the worth of your particular thimble without seeing it. Are you able to send me a ...
SEWING BOX11/14/2005
  Q: I HAVE RECTNLY INHEIRITED A SEWING BOX FROM THE 1920'S IT WAS MADE BY A COMPANY CALLED PEERLESS ...
  A: Sewing boxes were very common and quite plentiful. Many companies made them. If you are trying to ...
antique sewing implement11/8/2005
  Q: Asked on 11/4: A hollow, carved wooden egg that unscrews in 2 halves. Has dozens of holes big ...
  A: No, the item you describe is not a thread dispenser. Before wooden spools were used, thread was ...
mysterious wooden egg11/4/2005
  Q: I THINK this is an antique sewing implement: A carved wooden egg 2 3/4" long, 1 3/4" diameter, ...
  A: Is your egg a reddish brown color? If so, it is not wood but what they commonly refer to as ...
wooden treen10/26/2005
  Q: i have what i think is a wooden thread holder. it has a encased cross stich on the lid. can you let ...
  A: Without a picture, I am at a loss on your item. There are many books out on sewing accessories, so ...
Sewing Tools10/18/2005
  Q: I recently was given my Great Grandmothers sewing machine table, the sewing machine was not still on ...
  A: How nice that you have your Great Grandmother's sewing items. I'm not sure exactly what you are ...
Can You Identify This9/13/2005
  Q: I have a picture of something very strange that looks like some kind of antique bobbin or spindle. ...
  A: Olivia - you can send a picture to me at bacchino@twcny.rr.com, but I'm not that familiar with ...
Sewing Machine9/12/2005
  Q: We were cleaning out my grandparents home and I found what appeared to be a desk/sewing maching. It ...
  A: First let me start off by saying sewing machines are outside my area of expertise. However, from ...
old thimble9/10/2005
  Q: Barbara, I have my Mother,s (83) Aunt's thimble. Looks gold but has tiny amt green inside lip. 10 ...
  A: Your thimble is made by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. They did not make brass thimbles, so ...
Pedal sewing machine "Bartle"9/5/2005
  Q: I have and old Pedal sewing machine. The name on the front of the machine is Bartle. It has 2 side ...
  A: Sewing machines are not my area of expertise, but I can tell you there are a number of books out on ...
thimble9/2/2005
  Q: my mum has just found some silver and gold items in my dads shed, (he passed away 2 years ago) we ...
  A: Thimbles were made with glass, synthetic and real gemstones. You will need to have a gemologist ...
Gold Carrie J. Bell thimble with case8/12/2005
  Q: The bottom half has flat sides on it total of 10 flat panals. One of the panal says Carrie J. Bell. ...
  A: If you are able to send me a digital picture of each of these items, I may be able to tell you more ...
stork scissors8/6/2005
  Q: I have a stork scissor dated back in the late 1800 (at least that is what we think we can see) made ...
  A: Yes, I am familiar with stork scissors, as I have a couple of pair that I use. Of course, they are ...
Old Buttons8/4/2005
  Q: I have a few old buttons that look as though they were hand carved. Where can I find pictures, info ...
  A: There are a number of books out on buttons, there is a button convention every year, there are ...
Scissors8/1/2005
  Q: I have an old pair of german sewing material cutting scissors, all metal, big loop for my fingers to ...
  A: Scissors aren't an area of sewing tools I am familiar with, but I can tell you they are collectible. ...
crochet needle7/30/2005
  Q: We are renovating an old home in the Pittsburg area and have come across a couple of old crochet ...
  A: I have a friend who specializes in crochet hooks. If you are able to send a digital picture to me ...
thimbles and sewing scissors7/20/2005
  Q: Ihave an old pair of sewing scissors that are in the shape of what looks like a stork or some kind ...
  A: Scissors have been made in the shape of storks (and other shapes) for many years, so I am unable to ...
singer sewing machine7/19/2005
  Q: Circa 1900 still in working condition, ballpark figure please, thanks in advance.
  A: I'm afraid sewing machines are not within my area of expertise. But I can tell you there are many ...
gold thimble7/18/2005
  Q: can you give some information on a thimble that i have? it has a number 9 on the size and has a bell ...
  A: The number 9 on your thimble is the size. From the description, the bell shaped mark on the inside ...
is this worth anything?tiny brass pig tapemeasure7/12/2005
  Q: i have a small brass pig about one and half inches long.if u wind or unwind his tail a tapemeasure ...
  A: It sounds like you have a figural tape measure, and yes, they are collectible. There are at least ...
Boye Needle Co.6/26/2005
  Q: I have a round metal case with Boye Brand "Needles, Shuttles and Bobbins for Your Machine" written ...
  A: The first made, or oldest of the cases, would be stamped Patent Pending. Once the patent date was ...
Singer Sewing Machines6/26/2005
  Q: How can I get information about old Singer Sewing Machines late 1800's and early 1900's?
  A: Sewing machines are not my area of expertise, but I can tell you there are numerous sites on ...
sewing box, childs?6/4/2005
  Q: Years ago was given a small (3"x1 1/2")box made of tortoise shell, old then. Inside are: needle ...
  A: Is it possible for you to send me digital pictures? If so, send them to bacchino@twcny.rr.com. It ...
singer sewing machine5/28/2005
  Q: I came across an old singer and was wondering what it was worth the numbers on it are af318705 ...
  A: I'm afraids sewing machines are not within my area of expertise. However, I can tell you there are ...
Simanco Parts Question5/4/2005
  Q: ..we recently found a small wooden box that opens up flat and then can be folded back into its box ...
  A: It sounds like you have a wooden box with industrial sewing machine parts. The box has been called ...
antique sewing tools, history of and books on4/8/2005
  Q: I am a Home Economist and have been 'volunteered' to teach a lesson on Antique Sewing. I sew for ...
  A: I have a list of books on the topic. Can you accept Excel spreadsheet files? If not, I'll see if I ...
thimbles4/8/2005
  Q: I have a set of Princess Diana and Prince Charles thimbles {wedding commemorative}. Is there any ...
  A: Audrey - without knowing more about your thimbles, I cannot help you. I would need to know material ...
maker's mark on sterling thimble4/3/2005
  Q: I have a thimble which is marked sterling. It also has a large "C" with a large "W" over the C and ...
  A: The mark you describe is that of Webster Company, North Attleboro MA. They made thimbles using this ...
thimbles3/30/2005
  Q: .I have 2 old thimbles that I believe came in old soap boxes they are silver (not sterling) one has ...
  A: but here's what I can tell you. Chances are, your thimbles did not come in soap. They are aluminum ...
Antique Sewing Machine3/27/2005
  Q: I was given an antique sewing machine that I cannot find the brand name. It looks like a 1913 ...
  A: I really don't know anything about sewing machines, as they are not my area of expertise. However, ...
sewing box3/22/2005
  Q: I have an old wooden fold up box (we think the wood is oak) on the box there is an oval shape with ...
  A: You have a sewing machine accessories box. It is oak and it folds out flat to allow the machine ...
wooden sewing acc. stand3/17/2005
  Q: this piece of furniture was perhaps built around middle to late 1800s.It is oval in shape with two ...
  A: From your description, your item does sound like a sewing stand. However, without a picture, I ...
Crochet Hook3/11/2005
  Q: I have an old fashioned crochet hook that was my Grandmothers or possibly my Great-grandmothers. It ...
  A: I don't know much about crochet hooks, but I have a couple of friends that do. Your pictures did ...
thimbles3/2/2005
  Q: Where could I safely send a thimble collection to be evaluated? I have 16 old ones some silver some ...
  A: I wouldn't send a thimble collection anywhere to be evaluated! There's just too much chance for ...
Thimbles & Funnel2/28/2005
  Q: I have a couple of old thimbles and a funnel left to me by my grandmother. One thimble and the small ...
  A: I can't help you with the funnel, but I can help you with the thimble marked Taxco. It is from ...
I have a small pack of ; "Crowley's...2/28/2005
  Q: I have a small pack of ; "Crowley's Lion Brand Nickel Plated 3/9 Crewel Embroidery needles, by W. ...
  A: Needlebooks and needlepacks are certainly collectible, but they must be in pristine condition to be ...
Shoe Pincushion2/26/2005
  Q: I have recently inherited some of my grandmother's belongings, and amongst them is, I am told, a ...
  A: Pincushions used many types of fillings: emory powder, wool, straw, cotton, etc. There is a very ...
Sewing Machine1/25/2005
  Q: I have an old electric Singer Sewing Machine that sew's backward, is it of any value?.
  A: Sewing machines are not within my area of expertise. However, Singer does have a web site with ...
old thimbles1/22/2005
  Q: I am looking for a time period of a thimble that is silver with fine wire overlay pattern. The ...
  A: Would it be possible to see a digital picture of the thimble? From your description, it sounds ...
Gold Thimble12/26/2004
  Q: I own an old gold thimble in its original leather case. I would love to know what the markings on ...
  A: Happy Holidays! Yes, please email photos of your thimble and I'll do the best I can in identifying ...
sewing machine parts11/8/2004
  Q: I have a box of antique sewing machine parts. and dont know what to do with them. Don't want to ...
  A: I understand your unwillingness to throw those machine parts away, but I'm afraid sewing machines ...
Antique thimble and sewing tool10/17/2004
  Q: I received a box of sewing items from my grandmother's house. In it was a china thimble in a case ...
  A: I apologize for the delay in responding to your question, but I've been trying to research both ...
thread spools10/12/2004
  Q: I was wondering if wooden or strafoam thread spools are worth anything. These are the thread spools ...
  A: Styrofoam or plastic thread spools have no collectible value, that I know of. Wooden spools do have ...
Can you identify this small brass thing ?10/12/2004
  Q: Not sure if this is a sewing tool ! My grandmother left me her sewing things - mostly crochet hooks, ...
  A: How very nice that you have your grandmother's sewing items. Crochet hooks, knitting needles and ...
SEWING MACHINE10/8/2004
  Q: I HAVE A VERY OLD SINGER SEWING MACHINE IN ITS OWN TABLE WITH A FLIP TOP IM NOT SURE HOW OLD IT IS ...
  A: I'm afraid sewing machines are not my area of expertise. However, let me suggest you find an ...
Old sewing machine needle containers9/20/2004
  Q: ! I have 4 round wooden needle holders for sewing machines. On two of the wooden containers there ...
  A: The items you describe are, in fact, needle containers. You can search the patent on line for all ...
pinking machine8/20/2004
  Q: a singer pinking machine, looks like a pencile sharpener. feed material in, and turn the crank and ...
  A: John - value depends largely on condition. I can't tell you if it is valuable or not without ...
sewing machine in table with 3 drawers per side; how could I get value8/10/2004
  Q:
  A: Sewing machines, sewing tables, etc. are not my area of expertise. But I can tell you there are ...
old carousel thimbles8/7/2004
  Q: I have a set of 6 carousel thimbles which are made out of a heavy silver metal (not sure what type ...
  A: Your thimbles are contemporary (modern) and probably made from pewter. There are a couple of ...
Antique Pin Cushion8/7/2004
  Q: Cushioned body.Porcelain upper body, face,and arms.Pink taffeta dress.Two layered.Long sleeves.Hand ...
  A: Virginia - without a picture, I am limited in what I can tell you about this item. It does sound ...
sewing equipment8/6/2004
  Q: I have an old singer sewing tool that is metatlpainted green and is a needle threader on one side ...
  A: It's hard to be sure, but your item sounds like it is from the 1930s-1940s, if what I am picturing ...
sewing table?8/5/2004
  Q: A friend has a collapsable table that has a yard measurement along the top, long side. On the ...
  A: Yes, your friend has a sewing table. The patent info is most probably for the metal folding ...
Swedish Knitting Machine7/27/2004
  Q: Well, I see you can't answer questions on sewing machines, however your description of your area of ...
  A: However, I know many collectors and would like to circulate your question to them. Please email me ...
Thimbles7/24/2004
  Q: I have a thimble which has a picture of the wedding day of the Duke and Duchess of York 1923 and the ...
  A: You don't mention what material the thimbles are made from, which will have a big impact on the ...
dress forms7/18/2004
  Q: I have a dress form {i think they are called a JUDY } I bought her at a garage sale .there's a faded ...
  A: I have seen these dress forms before, but since they are too big for ME to collect, I've never paid ...
casige7/17/2004
  Q: I have a very old casige toy sewing machine and I'd like to find out how old it is and how much its ...
  A: Sewing machines (toy or otherwise) are not my area of expertise. However, I do know there are a ...
pin doll7/12/2004
  Q: I have a bobble head pin doll with a tape measure in the base and a pin cushin on the back, the ...
  A: I have not come across an item like you describe, but I surmise it is quite contemporary (not old). ...
Sewing Machines7/9/2004
  Q: Do you know of anyone that can help with appraising an antique sewing machine? Manual with pedal ...
  A: Try contacting Jim Slaten at jws100@pacbell.net for an appraisal on your sewing machine. There are ...
I have an item that I cannot identify.7/7/2004
  Q: I have an item that is shaped like a guitar or a hourglass type shape. It is made of wood about 71/2 ...
  A: Suzi - even though your description sounds pretty detailed, I am drawing a blank as to trying to ...
spool box7/2/2004
  Q: unusual approx. 22"L -60" around barrel body with 4 drawers ea. 21"L oak wood, cradle like stand ...
  A: J. I can't give you a value without seeing the item, as condition is everything. It sounds like ...
BELDING SILK6/29/2004
  Q: I have a beldings silk spool cabinet with 4 drawers the top three drawers have glass in them the ...
  A: I'm afraid I can't give you a price on your spool chest without seeing a picture. Value is highly ...
Avon Thimbles6/17/2004
  Q: I have an eight-piece set of thimbles that seem to be hand-painted, miniature half-women, each in a ...
  A: You have a set of Avon "Fashion Ladies" thimbles. They are referred to as "figurals" as they ...
Value of old pair of sewing scissors6/11/2004
  Q: My grandmother left me an old pair of sewing scissors. They are 3 1/2" long, silver colored, in the ...
  A: You have a pair of stork scissors. They were often used by embroiderers as they were small and ...
carpet sewing tool5/10/2004
  Q: I recently found an old sewing tool it has stamped on it The consolidated carpet sewing machine ...
  A: I'm afraid I would need a picture of the item to even begin to help you, but I can tell you this. ...
ROCKING CHAIR PIN CUSHONS4/30/2004
  Q: WE HAVE TWO PIN CUSHONS THAT ARE WOODEN ROCKING CHAIRS. WE WANTED TO KNOW IF THEY ARE WORTH ...
  A: I'm afraid the pieces you describe probably have more sentimental value than anything else. These ...
SINGER sewing machine4/23/2004
  Q: I have a SINGER sewing machine that comes from my grandparents days and is working and don't know if ...
  A: Oscar - I'm afraid sewing machines are not within my area of expertise. But you are in luck - there ...
1881 Patent sewing tool4/21/2004
  Q: The object that I am inquiring about is made of about 1/4 inch wood. The shape is similar to a ...
  A: Melody - is there any way you can send me a digital picture? If so, send to bacchino@twcny.rr.com. ...
Very old sewing barrel box4/15/2004
  Q: I have an antique looking sewing box shaped like a barrel. It can be taken apart or put back ...
  A: I've seen many sewing baskets/stands and this doesn't ring a bell. Many things were used as sewing ...
Simons Bros. & Co Thimbles4/12/2004
  Q: I have figured out that I have a Simons Bros & Co thimble. I am trying to date it. It has little ...
  A: The thimble you have is known as the "Fluted Octagon" and is one of the most plentiful thimble ...
Identifying maker of a thimble3/18/2004
  Q: I'm trying to identify a thimble which has an ornate gold bottom and a silver top. The inside ...
  A: You have a thimble by Simons Bros. Co. of Philadelphia. It is a sterling thimble, most probably ...
THIMBLE2/26/2004
  Q: I HAVE A STERLING SILVER THIMBLE, IT HAS STERLING, AND THE NUMBER 10 ON IT. THERE IS ALSO A DESIGN ...
  A: The number 10 stamped on the band of the thimble is the size, as thimbles were made in a number of ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Barbara K. Acchino

Top Expert on this page

I have been collecting for almost 30 years.

ThimbleCollectors@ONElist.com; Thimble Collectors International (TCI); Thimble Guild; Thimbletter & Thimbletter II, Empire State Thimble Collectors; CyberThimble; Yahoo Thimble Club

"Sewing with Scotties" Scottie Sampler; various articles for the "Bulletin" - official newsletter of Thimble Collectors International (TCI)

TCI's President's Award