Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Marc A. Hess

SubjectDate Asked
Seeburg Select-o-Matic 1009/29/2014
  Q: I have a 1950 or 1952 Seeburg Select-o-Matic 100B. The serial number is 3929. I'm wondering if you ...
  A: As to value I suggest you go to eBay and see what similar machines are bringing. There is a huge ...
1952 Seebrug M100C Jukebox3/6/2014
  Q: I have a 1953 "happy days" Seeburg M100C Jukebox that I would like to sell. It has all original ...
  A: Carol I would say your best source for valuation is eBay. You should monitor it for a few weeks and ...
1985 Carousel Gumball Machine Antique Brass Finish2/5/2013
  Q: I have a 1985 Carousel Gumball Machine in the Antique Brass Finish. It is manufactured by Carousel ...
  A: I am not an expert on Carousel machines since they are modern and were not made for commercial use ...
Vintage Columbus Gumball Gambling Machine1/31/2013
  Q: I've been helping my father clear out his basement and found a vintage Columbus gumball machine. It ...
  A: Your machine is a Columbus RW and yes it was indeed a gambling machine. Collectors like this ...
pinball machine11/26/2011
  Q: I've been trying to get a value on it because i want to sell it. the only thing i can find on it is ...
  A: Collector would probably say the value on your machine is about $350 in good working condition but I ...
norris master gumball machines4/18/2011
  Q: Can you tell me the original colors of the norris master gumball machines ?
  A: Sure, there were a number of color combinations including Red with black base and top. Cream with a ...
Watling slot machine2/23/2011
  Q: I have a Watling slot machine. On the side of the machine, on the wood, is a "Blue Label." What is ...
  A: It is the Watling Blue Seal and probably says "Good in 1889 Better Today". It was put on the side ...
Standard hot peanut vending machine12/27/2010
  Q: I have a Standard Hot Peanut vending Machine from between 1940-1950. The machine is in excellent ...
  A: Dave It sounds like you are describing a Silver King Hot Nut machine. If you can get $250 for it I ...
Gottlieb's Flipper Pool Pinball Machine11/16/2010
  Q: 1. how much is it worth in current condistion 2. should i restore it or keep it original as ...
  A: Your Flipper Pool machine is a great 1960's Gottlieb "wedge head". You machine is an "add a ball" ...
antique gumball machine8/9/2010
  Q: I have what appears to be a very old penny gumball machine. About a foot tall, including base, the ...
  A: I am sure I can identify your machine if you can send me a picture. Otherwise, your description is ...
cebco double peanut vendor7/27/2010
  Q: i have found a cebco double peanut machine that is in really good shape cant find info about the ...
  A: Edward The Cebco Hot Nut is a very cool machine from the 1930's. Hopefully your's has the side cup ...
value of juke box3/26/2010
  Q: We have a Wurlitzer juke box we're wanting to sell and were wondering if you could give us the ...
  A: My best advice for you is to watch eBay to see what similar machines are selling for. However, ...
gottlieb pnball1/19/2010
  Q: I was given a gottlieb grand slam pinball machine and the flippers dont work, will not add up points ...
  A: Cheryl Unless you can read a schematic and are experienced working on electro mechanical machines, ...
Gumball Machine1/17/2010
  Q: I picked up this gumball machine at a rummage sale and am curious about what it is. It is marked ...
  A: Allan Your machine is basically a toy machine made for the home. It is similar to the Carousel ...
Bubble gum machine9/14/2009
  Q: I have reciently purchased what I believe is a very old bubble gum machine at a yard sale. It ...
  A: Robert Your machine appears to be a gumball machine called a Carousel. They were made from the ...
gum ball machines8/22/2009
  Q: I have a King gum ball machine I believe. It is 15" high and 8" wide. It is red. The bottom has ...
  A: Judy There are a number of "King" machines. The fact that you say it is a quarter machine leads me ...
pinball machine values7/18/2009
  Q: I have a Gottlieb Centigrade 37. It says manufactured in 1977. Not in good shape but all pieces ...
  A: My guess is that a Centigrade 37 parts machine (meaning non working and poor condition) would be ...
Columbus Gumball Machine7/5/2009
  Q: I would like to know if you can identify this gumball or peanut machine. It does not have a globe, ...
  A: You have part of a Columbus model JMJ. It is missing the front coin door and product chute. It ...
1920's Master 1 & 5 Gumball Machine6/30/2009
  Q: I wondered if you could tell me anything about the history & value of this machine. The machine ...
  A: Your machine is a Master no. 2 a/k/a Master Gooseneck penny/nickel. From the pictures you sent to ...
Norris Master Gumball/Peanut Machine5/26/2009
  Q: I have a Norris Master Gumball Machine that I picked up at a resale shop for 10 bucks. Problem is, ...
  A: Same answer here as I gave you when you contacted me directly. If you contact me direcltly again I ...
Mills Slot machine2/28/2009
  Q: I have a Mills Diamond front .10 slot machine. The key is lost,is there any way to open it (pick the ...
  A: Dean If it is an original Mills/Yale lock there may be a master key available or altenatively, ...
Pin Ball Machine Availability12/29/2008
  Q: I am looking for a pin ball machine that I played as a child. I think it was called Hayburner but I ...
  A: Allan For pictures go to the Internet Pinball Database at http://www.ipdb.org/ As to availability ...
Antique Pinball Game Values12/7/2008
  Q: Marc: Can you give me an idea of the values of Bally Pinball Wizard and Williams Hayburner II ...
  A: Sort for the delay in answering. Assuming your machines are on good cosmetic condition and good ...
Slot machine12/1/2008
  Q: I have acquired an older 10 cent "Tic Tac Toe" slot machine. It is a single coin with a maximum ...
  A: Gary There were a number of different machines referred to or with the Tic Tac Toe theme. The ...
Walzer peanut vendor11/3/2008
  Q: I would like to know the value of an A. M. Walzer Co. (of Mpls. MN) peanut vending machine. It ...
  A: Well I would need to see pictures to assess condition, but I think I know which Walzer machine you ...
cigarette slot/gumball machine7/22/2008
  Q: We were over to a friends home and he showed us a penny slot machine he bought at a yard sale. It ...
  A: Penny It sounds like what we call a trade stimulator. There were literally hundreds of different ...
Manikin Vendor Baker Boy Gumball Machine7/20/2008
  Q: My grandmother left my brother and me a Manikin Vendor Baker Boy Gumball Machine. One of us wants ...
  A: Yes I am very familiar w/ Manikin Vendor Baker Boy Gumball machines. They are wonderful vending ...
Antique gumball machine or old peanut machine6/29/2008
  Q: I'm not sure. I got it from my mom and she said they always called it the Hance peanut machine. ...
  A: Yes I am very familiar w/ Hance machines. There are a number of different models of Hance machines, ...
Jennings Slot machines and a pinball machine4/25/2008
  Q: I have three Jennings slot machines - circa 1959. One is a 25 cent Nevada Club Buckaroo (4 dials), ...
  A: Dave Value depends in large part on condition. The 4 reel 25 cent Nevada Club is certainly the ...
Evans "Black Diamond" console slot4/11/2008
  Q: I just bought an Evans "Black Diamond" console slot machine. I've been unable to locate any ...
  A: Tom Sorry for the delay. Somehow I missed notice of your question. I am not sure where you can ...
Baseball machine3/31/2008
  Q: I am looking for a few types of machines. I am new to collecting machines and want to start out with ...
  A: Matt Start watching e-bay and check dealers like the Pa Gameroom Warehouse ...
antique peanut machine3/23/2008
  Q: My grandmother gave me an old green nut machine that says Northwestern. Can you tell me how old it ...
  A: Jennifer The Northwestern Company from Morris Il, made many different models of nut and gum ...
golf ball vending machine3/13/2008
  Q: I have a full size (floor model) golf ball vending machine which is in good shape and working ...
  A: Barney It would help to have pictures. If you have some would you please e-mail them to me so I ...
1946 Mills dime slot machine2/29/2008
  Q: How much would this weigh? Any estimated value? It is in working condition. ANSWER: Tim I need to ...
  A: OK assuming its a common Mills Dime Cherry front it probably weighs around 100 pounds, just a guess ...
Tom's Toasted Peanut Machine2/22/2008
  Q: We have a tall, red Tom's peanut vending machine. I would guess that the year would be late '50s. I ...
  A: Looks to be in real nice condition. I can't really give you a solid value for it but would ...
50s Chicago Coin Shuffle Bowling Machine2/21/2008
  Q: Considering the purchase of an early 50s Chicago Coin shuffle bowling machine, 6 player. In good to ...
  A: I think the owner should be almost willing to give you the machine for taking it off his hands. ...
tom's toasted peanut vending machine2/14/2008
  Q: WE found this machine in an old lumber yard. It is all original and in ok shape. I do not have the ...
  A: Catherine Looks to be in real nice condition. I am sure a locksmith can open it easily and then ...
Seeburg jukebox1/25/2008
  Q: I have a Seeburg Select-O-Matic, Model #HF100G, in good condition and was wondering what the value ...
  A: Carol It would help to see a picture and know if the machine is working. However, assuming truly ...
Watling Slot Machine1/21/2008
  Q: I have a rol a tor shot machine not 100% sure what year it is its blue seal double jackpot do you ...
  A: Heather The Watling Rol-a-Tor predates the Rol-a-Top and is from the mid 1930's around 1935. It ...
Jukebox value1/15/2008
  Q: Can you give me an approximate value for a Seeburg Jukebox, Model 147M. It has a wooden frame. In ...
  A: Dennis Your Seeburg juke is nicknamed the Trashcan. I can't put a value on it w/out seeing it but ...
Automatic stores penny candy macine1/7/2008
  Q: Marc, I have an old 1 cent candy machine and would like some information. I would like to know the ...
  A: Nathan I cannot find your machine in any of my reference books. However, it is very similar in ...
Old antique gumball machine / old antique peanut machine12/14/2007
  Q: I have an old antique gumball machine or peanut machine. Its a Columbus and I was told it is a ...
  A: The Columbus model A is a great old gumball machine / peanut machine. It is the classic antique old ...
Mills slots11/1/2007
  Q: I'm wondering on possible dates/values for two Mills slots. A nickel castle front and dime cherry ...
  A: Your Mills castle front is circa 1933. The cherry front is circa 1946. As for value there are a ...
bicycle gaming device9/2/2007
  Q: I have in my possession a device that I know nothing about. It is boxed in hardwood with glass sides ...
  A: Mike First I have no control over whether your question is published on the web or not. In fact, I ...
Antique Victor Gumball Machine8/20/2007
  Q: I have an old Victor gumball machine that I have had for 20 years. The top is oak and glass, and ...
  A: Ann Without actually seeing the machine it sounds like you have a Victor Baby Grand that someone ...
peerless penny scale7/24/2007
  Q: I have a blue porcelain lollipop penny scale, and am in need of a key to open the back to adjust the ...
  A: A lock smith should be able to pick the lock but may not be able to re-key it. You may have to put ...
gumball machine7/23/2007
  Q: "I am in possession of a peanut or gum ball machine. on the front it says patented 03/08/04 and ...
  A: Mike Please send me pictures at jomax9@hotmail.com and I will try to identify your machine w/ some ...
Flying Carpet 1972 pinball machine6/28/2007
  Q: I'm interested in finding out the current value of a Gottlieb 1972 Flying Carpet (electromachanical) ...
  A: Your machine is listed in one 2003 price guide at $525 in good working condition. That would ...
Tom's toasted peanut machine6/19/2007
  Q: I recently acquired this machine. It is about 5.5 ft tall and 30 inches wide. It has a price on it ...
  A: Kathy I have seen a few of these machines but cannot tell you what they are bringing these days in ...
Watling Rol-A-Tor Blue Seal slot machine4/30/2007
  Q: I have a Watling Rol-A-Tor Blue Seal slot machine, c. 1935, nickel play, with twin jackpot design. ...
  A: David Unfortunately I am not going to be able to diagnose and tell you how to repair your machine ...
fortune/scale machine4/12/2007
  Q: I have an American Scale Mfg.Company Coin operated scale and fortune machine. I have no idea about ...
  A: I looked at the pictures and while scales are not my strong area I think I can say your scale is not ...
Perfection Blow Gum Machine1/29/2007
  Q: I have an old perfection blow gum machine. The globe is in great shape and it works fine. The base ...
  A: Without more information and a picture its hard to say exactly what machine you have and what the ...
Williams Ambush1/6/2007
  Q: I have a 1973 Williams Ambush that is collecting dust. Paint chipping a little but last time I ...
  A: Without seeing the machine in person and playing it, it would be very hard to give a value. If ...
Antique gumball pricing11/26/2006
  Q: I have an old gumball machine on a stand that my dad had bought for me years ago. It is painted red ...
  A: Without seeing a picture it would be hard to say for certain but it sounds like you are describing ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marc A. Hess

Top Expert on this page