Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Rex Ransome

SubjectDate Asked
Vintage Porcelain Lamps4/24/2015
  Q: I have 2 Vintage Porcelain Lamps that I inherited, with the inscription of the British Regiment ...
  A: I found a similar on ebay: ...
Brass lamp & Tear drop lamps3/4/2015
  Q: Please help with this lamp it has no marks or stamps,the plug says Vimar.also please help with the ...
  A: The brass lamp appears to be European, probably England. It has Middle Eastern/Asian influence. It ...
your opinion!!!7/23/2014
  Q: I know you are only into lamps, but you were the only one closest to a glass vase that I could find ...
  A: It's hard to tell without examining it in person but from what I can see it looks like an art glass ...
porcelain lamps of victorian figures7/15/2014
  Q: can you tell me possible maker and/or value of my porcelain lamps. Appear to be japanese made. The ...
  A: From looking at the base they may also be from Europe. On these type of lamps sometimes the marking ...
Victorian table lamp7/4/2014
  Q: We have a strange brass floor lamp which I believe is Victorian and someone has said it may be ...
  A: normally B & H lamps will have a signature. Often the lamps of this era are signed beneath the base ...
antique lamp7/10/2009
  Q: We are trying to find out the maker of this lamp, its age, and its approximate value. It belonged ...
  A: it is a beautiful lamp. The colors are very unique and it appears to be intact. Generally these were ...
Satsuma Lamp Vase?6/30/2009
  Q: i have a 50" high and 12" wide lamp/vase. It is a kerosene 2 wick lamp and i am told its a satsuma ...
  A: sorry that I am not that familiar with this one. I can tell that it is a quality mfg. and old. 50" ...
retro tv lamp6/24/2009
  Q: ..This lamp came from my mother-in-law. My husband says he remembers it from the late 1950's. It is ...
  A: I am not too familiar with this type of lamp. TRo me it looks like one of the home-made ceramic ...
Cleaning Antique Slag Glass Shade and Painted Metal Base6/7/2009
  Q: I believe I have a Chicago Mosaic Shade Co. Lamp. It is a 12 Panel Slag Glass Shade. Curved Carmel ...
  A: If you are trying to keep it as original as possible, then brush off the metal lightly to get dust ...
2 lamps5/2/2009
  Q: I have 2 lamps that I recently aquired. The floor lamp I got at a garage sale. The man I purchased ...
  A: The floor lamp is probably from around the 1920s or 30s. These were typically found in funeral ...
Antique? Lamp Indentification4/15/2009
  Q: Can you give me any information (background, approx. value, etc.) about this lamp? I can't tell you ...
  A: it appears to be an old, high quality art deco period piece. The lady is probably bronze. If this is ...
Re: Wrought Iron Outdoor Floor Lamps4/9/2009
  Q: I have two wrought iron floor lamps each with a copper plant holder and would like more information ...
  A: they remind me of an old Bradley & Hubbard style from the 1800s to early 1900s. But they could also ...
Sabino Lustre4/7/2009
  Q: I wondered if you could give me some info about this Sabino light fixture. Specifically the approx ...
  A: I am not real familiar with the value of Euro fixtures. I have rewired many, and usually go by theie ...
Help Identifying this slag glass lamp4/4/2009
  Q: I have been asked by my grandmother to help her identify this lamp. She didn't have a picture with ...
  A: this could be a very valuable lamp from the early 1900s to 1920s. Brands like Miller, Handel, ...
B & H Lamp4/3/2009
  Q: Rex, This old lamp had been converted to a flower pot! Fortunately the clay pot broke and I ...
  A: B&H is a sought after collectable today. Even in this condition is worth over $100. it used to have ...
train night light3/18/2009
  Q: When I was a kid my grandparents used to have a night light that sat on a table top like a lamp. It ...
  A: Yeah, search on Ebay for "motion lamp" the heat of the bulb created the motion and the scene ...
twin cherub metal lamp with hanging crystals3/18/2009
  Q: I was given this beautiful metal(not sure of the type) twin cherub lamp from an aunt. It comes with ...
  A: This style was popular in the 1960s through the 70s. Usually made of spelter (pot metal alloys)with ...
Lamp Identification3/16/2009
  Q: I bought this electric lamp at a garage sale. I'd like to know about how old it is & whatever ...
  A: Well, you did good. That is a rare find, especially with all the pieces intact. It is from around ...
Vintage Victorian table floor lamp3/15/2009
  Q: The lamp stands 6 ft tall from floor to top of shade. It is very heavy cast metal with marble table ...
  A: these were popular and fancy lamps from the 1960s and early 70s. They were really nice for that ...
vintage lamps3/11/2009
  Q: Rex I hope you can help me Identify two old lamps. My mother and father have had these lamps for 35 ...
  A: I am not familiar with Stanley Products, but this style lamps were produced in the 1960s and 70s and ...
antique cherub lamps...3/5/2009
  Q: I inherited these lamps some years ago and know nothing about them. I have searched and found ...
  A: these lamps could have been produced anytime from the 1930s to the 1960s, as the style carried on. ...
radio3/4/2009
  Q: i have a yogi bear radio with compass still in box with instructions.hanna barbera 1966.it is a ...
  A: I am not too familiar with those but here is a link to one similar: ...
Rembrandt Lamp3/4/2009
  Q: I have two lamps one has 5016 Rembrandt on the bottom, the other has The letters MLSC 3489 on the ...
  A: both lamps are good name brands and probably from the 1920s to 30s. MLSC? or MSLC? That is Mutual ...
Old hanging lamp2/27/2009
  Q: I have this old lamp someone gave me, can you tell me anything about it, it has three bulbs inside ...
  A: the style is patterned after fixtures from the late 1800s/early 1900s, but this one appears to be a ...
brass and crystal chandelier2/24/2009
  Q: I have an 8 arm chandelier I believe is original to a house I bought. So my guess is 1920s. A ...
  A: brass will be heavier, but you probably won't know the difference. One way is to scrape or deep ...
Old lamp2/22/2009
  Q: Attached is a picture of a lamp that was in our entryway when we moved into our 1898 farmhouse, most ...
  A: I am not that familiar with these, but if it is American, it is from the arts & crafts/mission era ...
Lamps2/17/2009
  Q: I have a set of lamps my aunt gave and a pipe busted in my house and they were siting in water. I ...
  A: I am going by current reasonable prices. These type lamps sell at some auctions for $20 or less. ...
lamp2/8/2009
  Q: My husband's grandmother aquired this lamp in the early 1940's from a family friend that didn't like ...
  A: The lamp appears to be from the Mission or Arts and Crafts era from late 1800s till about 1920. ...
Lamp identification2/1/2009
  Q: This is an old lamp that has been inherited. The shade is obviously missing. Could you identify it, ...
  A: I beleive your lamp is from around the 1040s by looking at the pic. It is a reproduction of the ...
Lamp identification1/29/2009
  Q: We are trying to identify a pair of lamps we inherited from my husbands mother's estate. There is a ...
  A: I still can't see a lot of detail. but by judging from the shape, style, and color combo, I would ...
9-panel slag shade1/23/2009
  Q: I acquired this shade from a piece of property that was built late 1800s. I believe it was made to ...
  A: with out a physical inspection, I can't tell if it is an older 1800s piece, or one from around the ...
Period lamp inquiry1/17/2009
  Q: Rex, My wife and I came across a beautiful antique piece which we purchased several years back. The ...
  A: Sorry, I can't be of much help on this one w/o personal inspection. I agree that it is a lamp. It is ...
Rembrandt Lamp1/16/2009
  Q: I have a Rembrandt floor lamp (see picture). The shade is labelled 'The Gramophone' . The lamp base ...
  A: and was popular during the early 1900s especially 1920s and 30s. I have had dozens to rewire over ...
Antique Lamp - Art Deco?1/16/2009
  Q: We have inherited the attached lamp from our grandmother. There seems to be no markings on it. The ...
  A: the lamp appears to be very old and probably European. It is hard to assess this type of lamp ...
Crescent Pewter9/14/2008
  Q: I have three pieces of pewter all marked Crescent Pewter. The word Crescent is in what appears to be ...
  A: This is the onlt thing I could find that is similar: ...
Old Pottery Lamp9/1/2008
  Q: I haven't a clue what I have hear, this lamp is from my husband's family, I was told it had a ...
  A: Sorry for the delay, we were wiped out by a hurricane here for the last week or so w/o power or ...
Rembrandt Lamp8/7/2008
  Q: I bought a Rembrandt lamp at a garage sale.. Its stamped at the top Rembrandt Lamp Masterpiece.. On ...
  A: I am not sure about this one from this pic. Rembrandt has been making lamps since the early 1900s. I ...
lamp dating7/25/2008
  Q: I was given this lamp by a friend but cannot figure out what period it is. It is vintage. Late ...
  A: I think it is early 1960s. The shades still incorporate the 50s look . This is the first one I've ...
Antique Chandilier7/25/2008
  Q: This is not a lamp, so I don't know if you can help me, but I have a solid brass chandilier and I am ...
  A: it is hard to tell from these pictures because they made so many similar chandeliers in the 1970s. ...
Old Lamp7/20/2008
  Q: Ransome - I have a lamp that I am either the 3rd or 4th generation to have it. I am assuming it was ...
  A: That's a nice lamp that has been converted from oil to electric. It is probably from the mid to late ...
Regards to Previous "identifying lamp" question7/11/2008
  Q: I forgot to mention that the plug is "old looking"(I'm sorry, I know NOTHING about old ...
  A: these types of lamps wer generally produced in the late 60s through the mid 70s. They basically were ...
old lamp7/10/2008
  Q: - its about 5' tall. It has a beautiful flowered globe on the top and then intricate carving on ...
  A: This is what was called a piano floor lamp and was originally an oil burning lamp popular in the ...
VINTAGE lEVITON lAMP7/8/2008
  Q: I have a vitage Leviton lamp, I want to put on E-Bay, and I have no clue what this table lamp I ...
  A: This lamp is similiar to what are referred to as "George and Martha" lamps which were a porcelain or ...
Leviton Lamp7/3/2008
  Q: I have attached pictures of a lamp I bought at an estate sale. The woman said the lamp belonged to ...
  A: It is probably from the 1930s or early 40s. It looks like cut crystal and probably had a silk shade. ...
Who made this 1915 art glass table lamp?6/30/2008
  Q: Mr. Ransome, I have an art glass table lamp circa 1915 (date supplied by original owner's son). It's ...
  A: I am not familiar with that mark, but I do recognize that this is a quality, valuable lamp. It ...
lamp6/28/2008
  Q: I have a yellow with gold lamp (I believe) with handles. It does have a whole at the top and bottome ...
  A: This type of lamp is known as "George and Martha lamp". They are fairly common and produced in the ...
help to id old lamp6/23/2008
  Q: Have an old lamp which was pasted down to me from my grandmother.It has Miller on the inside of the ...
  A: Miller was a famous and well respected lamp co. from the 1800s and early 1900s. Their lamps today ...
Oil lamp6/16/2008
  Q: Could you identify this lamp please? Interested in the maker and value. Thanks!
  A: I can't tell by that picture. It doesn't appear to be very old, though. Finding the maker on oil ...
Armor lamp6/16/2008
  Q: Could you please tell me the rarity and approx value of my lamp? It's signed by the artist. ...
  A: My best advice is to research that name and maybe you can find other pieces similar and estimate a ...
Antique Lamp6/6/2008
  Q: I have an antique lamp that was given to me as a gift about 25 years ago. The only history I have on ...
  A: I haven't seen one quite like this but the way it is constructed looks like from the 1970s. It was a ...
unkown lamp5/30/2008
  Q: I have a lamp that I think was originally my grandmothers. She had great things. I have attached a ...
  A: This lamp was made between 1910 and 1930, give or take. There were many makers of these type lamps, ...
Old Wood Lamp5/28/2008
  Q: My grandmother has this lamp passed on to her from her mother-in-law and my grandfather was told it ...
  A: They are not common. I have only seen a picture of one. It is from the Mission era of the 1800s. It ...
Old lamp5/8/2008
  Q: My husband and I purchased this old hanging lamp several years ago. We wanted one that had not been ...
  A: I can't give you much info except that these type of lamps were called library or parlor lamps and ...
need to know the value4/30/2008
  Q: i hv this old lamp in horse shape need to know the value
  A: I haven't seen one like that. It appears very old and unique. I can't give you an accurate estimate ...
Gone with the wind lamp4/28/2008
  Q: I have a gone with the wind lamp and would like to know the maker, possible the artist and value of ...
  A: It looks like it could have been an original, but the base looks suspect. If the base is not either ...
Gone with the Wind lamps4/16/2008
  Q: What are Gone with the Wind Lamps and how can I tell if I have one? Thank you
  A: GWW lamps originally produced in the 1800s. Typically they have a bulbous glass bottom and round ...
My Grandfather's Lamp3/24/2008
  Q: I remember from childhood a lamp my grandfather had and I'm trying to identify what it's called. It ...
  A: Do a search on Ebay using terms like 'antique student lamp', antique bankers lamp, etc and see if ...
Railroad table lamps3/20/2008
  Q: I have two railroad table lamps that I like very much.I would to know more about them, 1 has a plate ...
  A: I am not sure if these are actual RR lamps that were converted into table lamps. I think they are ...
Vintage Oil Lamp3/10/2008
  Q: Good day...I have an old oil lamp base without...the 'burner' on the top. It is approximately 8" ...
  A: I don't think it will make much of a difference if you put a new burner on it. Now if you found an ...
rembrandt lamp2/25/2008
  Q: I keep trying to send you a picture of the lamp, but I keep getting a server error. I have a full ...
  A: Your lamp is from the 1920s or 30s. Rembrandt was a quality mfg of lamps. The value of your lamp in ...
Porcelain 5 Arm Chandelier2/25/2008
  Q: I inherited a very nice chandelier and I am trying to find out its manufacturer and age. It looks ...
  A: I was going to tell you that it does look like a Capodimonte. Can you tell if the wiring is American ...
Info on my lamp2/24/2008
  Q: Can you tell me anything about this lamp? I got it from my grandmother. She told the story that she ...
  A: I wish I could but I don't know. Are there any markings under the base or on the shade? It is ...
Two Lamps from Paris2/20/2008
  Q: Both of these lamps were give to me by my grandmother and I know nothing about them. have you any ...
  A: I have seen similar. They are probably from the later 1800s or early 1900s. Look closely around them ...
Restoring antique lamps2/19/2008
  Q: Are there any books or online resources available to assist with antique lamp restoration? I have a ...
  A: I don't know of any books on the subject. I use Treasure Gold rub-on to touch up old metal lamps. It ...
Antique Lamp2/18/2008
  Q: I need to find out any information about a lamp I have. There is no information on the lamp, ...
  A: this lamp is indicative of quality lamp manufacturers from post WWII. It is probably a Steiffel ...
leviton pull chain sockets2/12/2008
  Q: Where can I find a replacement interior pull chain socket where the chain comes out the bottom. It ...
  A: I looked in my B&B lamp supply catalog and they do not carry it. You can search the Web for antique ...
Vintage hula lamp - levington?2/10/2008
  Q: I have a lamp from the 40s or 50s from my grandmother that she bought new at a store in Rehoboth ...
  A: is there a mark beneath the base? The lamp is definitely from the late 40s or early 50s. It looks ...
Kerosine Lamp ID please2/6/2008
  Q: I have an old thick glass kerosine lamp that I need help identifying. On the wick raising knob is ...
  A: this oil lamp was probably produced in the 1930s and is quite common. I think I have the same one. ...
Long time looking2/5/2008
  Q: Good morning Rex, I've had this floor lamp (see picture) since I was 17 when I helped clean out a ...
  A: I have never seen an American lamp of that style. I have seen similar that were European, ...
a lamp i found a second hand shop.1/31/2008
  Q: i have found a very cute little finger lamp that can stand by itself or be wall mounted and on the ...
  A: Hong Kong was occupied by England from 1842 until officially 1997, however after WWII they were ...
folk art/tramp art lamp value1/27/2008
  Q: I purchased this lamp on eBay and I was wondering if you could approximate a value to it. It is ...
  A: with this type of lamp it really depends on the market in which you are selling it to determine the ...
Would you save this old lamp?1/27/2008
  Q: We bought this lamp for $50. The painting on the inside, though is peeling. Should we just sell it ...
  A: The shade is nice but I am not sure if someone would pay $50 with the lamp in that condition. One ...
gone with the wind lamps1/22/2008
  Q: are these worth any money? they are electric and still work. they were my husbands grandmothers
  A: they are not true antiques. I think they are from the late 1940s to 1950s and are patterned off of ...
vintage french bouillotte tole lamp1/22/2008
  Q: I HAVE THIS BEAUTIFUL OLD LAMP I WAS SELLING ON EBAY. SOMEONE WAS KIND ENOUGH TO TELL ME THE STYLE ...
  A: I have run across this very lamp at an estate sale within the last few years. I think it was priced ...
hydrangia lamp with pic this time1/15/2008
  Q: I love odd lamps and picked this one up some time ago for what i thought was a good price. it ...
  A: I had a similar lamp a few years ago. Mine also had 3 small round flat platforms attached with onyx ...
antique leviton lamps1/14/2008
  Q: i have two lamps that i got out of my father's house ( i'm 51 yrs. old ).i have seen them in my ...
  A: sorry for the delay. These lamps were popular from the late 40s and still produced in the 50s and ...
lamp1/13/2008
  Q: I will attempt to send a picture of my "head lamp". She has small lines on the bottom edge - all ...
  A: yes she is adorable. It looks like you could stick a cigarette in her mouth. I can't see the base ...
Looking for type of light I have?1/4/2008
  Q: I have this white milk glass lamp that is pretty old or so i have been told, & can't find any ...
  A: It is old but not really an antique. Patterned after earlier lamps, it is probably made in the ...
lamp identification1/2/2008
  Q: I am trying to identify a lamp. Is it old or not so old. It stands about 36" tall and has a 7" ...
  A: it's older but not real old. I think it is a Steiffel brand. This style was generally produced ...
Antique Lamp12/21/2007
  Q: My name is Jenifer and I found a lamp abandoned near a beach. I have never seen a lamp like that in ...
  A: this lamp was typical of the 1960s through the early 70s. That is not the original shade. These ...
Vintage Lamp12/19/2007
  Q: Can you please tell me anything about this vintage milk glass and brass lamp? It has what appears to ...
  A: this lamp is from the 1950s or 60s. I am not sure of the maker, but Westmoreland, Imperial, and ...
Kosmos-Brenner desk lamp12/18/2007
  Q: I recently acquired a Kosmos-Brenner desk lamp, It has a brass base/fuel tank and off course glass ...
  A: If it brass, and the cracks aren't too wide, then it can be repaired with lead solder, plumber's ...
Christmas Bulbs12/18/2007
  Q: While going through my parents Christmas decorations I came across a set of bulbs that look like ...
  A: generally these were made between 1900 and 1940. They screw in bases on the older ones are smaller ...
kerosene lamp12/17/2007
  Q: ..I purchased this lamp from ebay. I was wondering if there was anyway to tell the maker. I saw one ...
  A: this lamp is old except for the screw in burner and the chimney. It could be Bradley and Hubbard, ...
Lamp Repairs12/16/2007
  Q: I have a beautiful heavy, tall Victorian Lamp. It has a marble column and marble square at the ...
  A: I can picture the type of lamp, but a picture would be more helpful. Most of these lamps had iron ...
Lamp Identification12/12/2007
  Q: I was hoping that you could help me identify an antique floor lamp. My wife purchased this lamp ...
  A: I cannot tell from this picture alone. Antique floor lamp refurbishing is my specialty. I probably ...
kerosene lamp12/7/2007
  Q: .I found this antique lamp at a sale. Can you give me any information on it? Thanks...Linda
  A: If that is an antique, I think it is a pink pattern glass kerosene lamp from around the 1920s and ...
Vintage christmas bulbs11/29/2007
  Q: I searched the web and cannot find anything on how to test an old christmas bulb. I have the skinny ...
  A: The ones I've seen fit regular "candelabra" sockets. I think you can still buy that size Christmas ...
Brass & Marble cherub lamps11/27/2007
  Q: Please let me know the approximate year/value of the lamps. Thank you for your time ...
  A: These lamps were stylish in the 1960s and early 1970s. They are patterned in some ways after ...
Antique Lamps11/25/2007
  Q: I have two lamps that look to be very old. One is described as a colonial lamp and suspected to be ...
  A: Are there any markings beneath the lamp? This lamp looks like it could have been made during the ...
Lamp identification11/11/2007
  Q: I inherited this lamp recently from my Father, all i know is that they received it as a gift in 1974 ...
  A: the lamp is also from the early 70s. These type lamps were popular during that period. That style ...
appraisals10/27/2007
  Q: You were the only one out of the list that came close to being able to help me. I have an American ...
  A: I have seen several clothig irons manufactured by American Beauty, but not with 66A. If you look on ...
lamp dating10/26/2007
  Q: Mr. Ransome, I am going through an estate. There are many old table lamps, floor lamps, and bridge ...
  A: The two middle lamps look to be from the 1930s. The one with the horizontal bulb once had a glass ...
Lamp10/25/2007
  Q: Can you tell me anything about this type of lamp. Was given to me by my brother. Thank you very ...
  A: I can't see much detail from the picture, but my first inclination leans toward Miller Lamp Co. ...
computing scale co10/25/2007
  Q: Was curious is you would have any idea how old this scale is and an idea of what it might be worth. ...
  A: I think your scale is dated to the late 1800s, because shortly after that the company became Dayton ...
hello10/24/2007
  Q: I have a 1968 royal london wood purse. My question is what is it worth
  A: These type purses are popular now because of their retro/vintage status. I have recently seen ...
lamp10/23/2007
  Q: I have tried everything everywhere to identify anything abt. this lamp. Any info. you may have would ...
  A: I have seen, owned, and rewired thousands of lamps but haven't come across one quite like this. By ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rex Ransome

Top Expert on this page