Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert David Silver

SubjectDate Asked
Theda Bara photograph10/28/2016
  Q: wondering if you had any insight on this photograph? Any value here?
  A: Theda Bara (real name Theodosia Burr Goodman, 1885-1955) was one of the most famous actresses of the ...
Bell & Howell Director Series8/8/2016
  Q: I received the above item from my grandmother before she past in 1981. I am curious as to the value ...
  A: Other than the obvious sentimental value to you and your family, I'm afraid it's essentially a ...
19th century photos8/6/2016
  Q: I have a photo album from the 19th century that came to me from my wife's grandmother, who was born ...
  A: Very, very tough topic... You asked: "How do I go about identifying the other people in this ...
1920's Cornu Ontoscope stereo camera9/16/2015
  Q: David Thanks for the swift response. I have taken a couple of pictures which I will try to attach ...
  A: Yes, it's a stereo camera, for making 3D pictures. This is an Ontoscope, a very typical European ...
Ellis Tilter Camera tilter for tripod6/11/2015
  Q: I am trying to get any history on an item I have. It is an Ellis Tilter attachment for a tripod. I ...
  A: There's really no history to provide. It's actually a very generic unit. I'm not specifically ...
Question about camera5/4/2015
  Q: I'm a camera collector and recently came across one of these small cameras. I've been told it is a ...
  A: What you have is generically referred to as a Yen camera. They were very common and popular in Japan ...
Lincoln photograph4/20/2015
  Q: Silver, Thank you for taking the time to assist with my question.I recently acquired a large framed ...
  A: First, what I *can* tell you about the image...this is definitely a copy of a fairly famous portrait ...
Question about antique camera9/28/2014
  Q: I recently picked up an Arnold Linco Flex at my local antique store. I haven't been able to find too ...
  A: What you have is actually a Karma-Flex 4x4 Model II (also marketed as simply the Karma-Flex 2), a ...
Old picture/case4/29/2014
  Q: I have inherited this old picture in a little case. I am not sure what kind of old photo this is. ...
  A: This appears to be an ambrotype. An ambrotype is a photograph made with the "wet plate" process ...
#2 Rolleiflex Automat MX camera3/30/2014
  Q: Mr. Silver - Here is another camera that I have recently inherited. Can you please give me some ...
  A: This is the very best of all the things you've shown me. This is a Rolleiflex Automat MX ...
info request on camera3/29/2014
  Q: I was hoping you could provide me with some. What year it was made ect. thanks
  A: The Stamax Candid Camera is a classic example of a cheap 1930's amateur "minicam"; a very simple ...
Spartus Box Camera2/27/2014
  Q: David, I have a spartus box camera labeled "full-vue" on the bottom of the face. It takes size 120 ...
  A: The Spartus Full-Vue is a simple plastic box camera, with enormous reflex viewfinder on top, made by ...
Unknown camera model2/22/2014
  Q: I have an old photo camera that has been in my family from the early 1920 or 1930. Actually, it was ...
  A: You have a Pokarelle, a simple amateur box camera, made by Balda-Werke of Germany from 1929 to 1933. ...
Antique Light Meter12/8/2012
  Q: Mr. Silver - I have an old Bewi light meter on which all the text is in German. I have attached a ...
  A: Your Bewi light meter from Germany is a classic example of what are known as "extinction" meters. ...
Do your recognize this picture5/12/2012
  Q: My uncle found this picture in his home. Do you recognize this picture?
  A: Well, you're asking an expert in photography, and this picture isn't photographic in origin! ...
An antique camera & film named "Camera"7/28/2011
  Q: Seeking info; mostly age? Sandy Stilwell
  A: This is a very nice example of a "Yen" box camera, a simple form of amateur box camera made in great ...
cameras and lenses2/1/2011
  Q: I have 3 boxes of all kinds of cameras and lenses. I don't know where to begin. I have made a list ...
  A: I can probably help you evaluate and then sell the equipment. Can you send the list to me by ...
leica IIIF red dial?1/15/2011
  Q: I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE A LEICA IIIF RED DIAL CAMERA FROM AROUND THE 1950'S. ON THE TOP OF IT, IT ...
  A: Serial number 600080 is actually a Leica IIIf "black dial", a traditional 35mm coupled rangefinder ...
Manufactured by J.H. Kennedy, St. Paul. MINN.12/29/2010
  Q: I have this here. It does have broken part. but I don't know what it is, or if it has any value, or ...
  A: I have no idea why this would be marked as manufactured by "J.H. Kennedy" of St. Paul. Minnesota, as ...
leica and Fujica5/28/2010
  Q: I haven't a clue where to begin with model numbers and prices for these pieces I inherited. I have ...
  A: Your Leica is a classic, a very high quality and valuable 35mm coupled rangefinder camera from the ...
1892 Folding Rochester8/10/2009
  Q: I have this camera in EXCELLENT, like new condition with a dozen or so attachments, plates, etc. One ...
  A: Yes, fine examples of the Folding Rochester generally sell in the $1000 range, easily five to six ...
Old Kodak Camera7/20/2009
  Q: I have what I believe to be a NO. 3-A folding pocket kodak, model B-4. What can you tell me about ...
  A: The No. 3A Folding Pocket Kodak is a traditional folding bellows camera, made by Eastman Kodak from ...
Leica for Sale5/20/2009
  Q: I have a black dial IIIF that I'm trying to sell and i'd like to get an idea of what its worth. ...
  A: From that serial number, you do indeed have a Leica IIIf "black dial", a traditional 35mm coupled ...
antique camera12/29/2008
  Q: I have an old #2 Stereo Brownie camera. The little eye piece is here but loose. Otherwise it seems ...
  A: The No. 2 Stereo Brownie is a simple amateur folding bellows camera, made by Eastman Kodak from 1905 ...
What are "union cases" for antique photographs?3/5/2008
  Q: "Union cases", the sort of plastic cases used to hold antique photographs...how did they get their ...
  A: Neither! Union cases were invented in the 1850's, they represent the very first successful use of ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

David Silver

Top Expert on this page