Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Questions Answered by Expert Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson

SubjectDate Asked
Baby/Doll carriage12/1/2016
  Q: I'm helping a friends mother identify and perhaps repair many antique items she owns and holds dear. ...
  A: It's great that you are trying to help this lady out. I'm sorry to say, there is no source to buy ...
F.A. Whitney Carriage Co.11/26/2016
  Q: I have this wicker and metal stroller with a label from F.A. Whitney Carriage Co. Ive scoured the ...
  A: The FA Whitney CO. made dozens of different styles of these carriages. You might try finding an ...
To Strip or Not to Strip?3/28/2016
  Q: My Grand-parents Hoosier is a project that I'm about to tackle. The back has delaminated and needs ...
  A: If the outside is not painted, use mineral spirits and scotch brite pads to clean all the gunk off. ...
Berkey & Gay Buffet3/26/2016
  Q: I recently picked up this Berkey & Gay buffet at my church's annual antique sale. I would like to ...
  A: It's hard to recommend things to do without seeing them in person but first I would clean the piece ...
split wicker on very old doll carriage1/5/2016
  Q: My new-to-me wicker doll carriage has split wicker where the cord holding the cloth top in place on ...
  A: Yes you can. Use regular white glue and if necessary, some kind of clamp to hold till it dries. You ...
Rattan Rocking Chair12/31/2015
  Q: This rocking chair belonged to my great grandmother. I would really like to know more about it such ...
  A: You have a nice rocker made by the Heywood Morrell Rattan co. in the 1880=1900 range. It is missing ...
Art Deco 1930 smoking stand9/27/2015
  Q: Where can I find the ashtray insert and tobacco tin with top that fits inset holes. Thank You!
  A: I get questions like this all the time and sadly, these types of items are not reproduced. You will ...
Wicker chairs2/7/2015
  Q: I was hoping you could tell me something about these chairs and if they are worth (or need) ...
  A: A couple of nice chairs. I am not as familiar with the MCM makers as I should be so I can't tell ...
Storing a handmade chest2/1/2015
  Q: I have a 20+ year old chest, solid wood, stained cherry finish that I need to store. We have room in ...
  A: Interesting question. If it were me, I would blanket wrap and use some of that shrink wrap,{walmart} ...
Cane webbing replacement help11/15/2014
  Q: A friend gave me a barrel cane back chair so I can learn to cane but I am really struggling with it. ...
  A: WOW, First I would say that you find a regular chair seat to practice on before trying this so you ...
herald chair model H8/19/2014
  Q: ......i have acquired this chair which states herald furniture company jamestown , ny model H. Do ...
  A: Check on the web for history of the company or contact the Jamestown Historical Society or state ...
wicker baby buggy7/12/2014
  Q: Bought this baby buggy for $15, thought it would be easy to put back together. My main problem is ...
  A: I have run across buggys with 2 hoods but the style of yours tells me that this is not true in your ...
How to care for older furniture4/14/2014
  Q: I recently inherited all kinds of wood furniture from the 70's. Some is Danish style stained, some ...
  A: First, let me say this question is way to long for me to answer here but I'll try and cover the ...
Jenny Lin day bed - care of wood4/1/2014
  Q: My Jenny Lin day bed is from my grandmothers porch. ( I'm in my 60s) She lived in Albuquerque for ...
  A: Glue the joints using a wood glue or if you want to stay period correct, hide glue. Make sure that ...
Making pram tires3/17/2014
  Q: I saw that you had answered a question regarding making pram tires out of a fuel line and adding a ...
  A: When I use the fuel line [or any hose] on the rims, I cut a piece of round reed that will fit inside ...
Wicker carriage11/10/2013
  Q: I recently purchased a home built in 1912, inside the home was a wicker carriage. The hood on the ...
  A: To restore or not is up to you. It would increase the value of course but if taken care of so that ...
antiques9/29/2013
  Q: I have several pieces of furniture My grandmother had saved because they were antiques to her, I ...
  A: If you are sure you're keeping all of it, by all means have it restored. It will cost as much as ...
cane rocking chairs9/12/2013
  Q: What is the difference in value of a cane chair worked by hand through holes in the side and a cane ...
  A: There is no difference in the value. Hand cane was the only cane available up to the early 1900s, ...
Busse chair seats8/21/2013
  Q: I have a set of four wood chairs from about 1900 and 3 of the chairs have padded leather Busse Chair ...
  A: If I am correct, these were sold to cover missing or broken cane seats. If that's the case, then you ...
Lloyds Stroller7/1/2013
  Q: I have Lloyds stroller and I would like to find out it's age of productions. I have looked at 100's ...
  A: I have one of these right now I'm working on for a customer. The wheels are 10 1/2" in diameter ...
Babyville / Siebert baby carriage6/28/2013
  Q: I see that you've answered a few baby carriage question in the past. I'm hoping you can help, or ...
  A: I would think that the carriage was sold by "Babyville" in there stores, sort of like how dept. ...
Busted Caning6/19/2013
  Q: I inherited six chairs from my mother and father. They were never favorites, but over time I have ...
  A: These are nice chairs, probably from the 60s or 70s, very well made. I don't know of anyone in you ...
F.A. Whitney wicker otooman/seat3/28/2013
  Q: I was recently at an estate sale and found a wicker ottoman/seat with storage underneath. It is ...
  A: To find out if it's "Rare" you would need to see production records to see how many were made. You ...
Cane seat chair3/4/2013
  Q: I recently purchased this chair and am hoping you can give me some idea of age and possibly where it ...
  A: It was made @ the late 1800s. Any other info would be guesses as at that time in our country, every ...
Restore Telephone Table3/1/2013
  Q: I found an unique telephone table that is need of being restored. I am sending a picture but what ...
  A: First is you don't want to sand the old finish off. This removes the patina of the wood which is the ...
wicker baby carriage wheels2/10/2013
  Q: I am searching for a 14" metal carriage wheel that belongs on a turn of the century unpainted ...
  A: The only source I have found for wheels is Ebay under Baby Carriages & Buggies. It once took 4 ...
folding ricking chair, Charlotte Furniture Co2/9/2013
  Q: I obtained this chair from a friend of my Grandmothers. I have no history other than that. It ...
  A: Nice chair.If you want info on it, I suggest you contact a Historical Group or Museum in Charlotte ...
Heywood baby carriage12/1/2012
  Q: It has a plaque that says "Heywood Sleeper Patented May 30 1893" so it was prior to the merger with ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in answering but I've had internet problems. This is a great carriage you ...
can you verify authenticity10/22/2012
  Q: Can you authenticate this set for me. Purchased from a 90 year old couple that said they inherited ...
  A: It's a very nice set but I can't verify it's being an 1880s set from pictures. To be honest, it ...
danish papercord seating10/5/2012
  Q: The seating is in very good condition but has darkened with age. Previously I cleaned some stains ...
  A: Danish Cord, as you stated, is a paper product and is prone to stains. Cleaning will result in the ...
Duncan Phyfe? liquor cabinet9/2/2012
  Q: This has been in the family for 80+ years, and it's always been called the Duncan Phyfe liquor ...
  A: I agree it doesn't look like a DP item, the legs are not the right type. I also don't think it is a ...
wicker stroller8/15/2012
  Q: In the early 1940s, my grandmother bought a F.A. Whitney stroller from a neighbor. I have the tag, ...
  A: Than's a nice idea. You didn't say where you were located, but most areas have a local or state ...
F.A. Whitney stroller for twins5/25/2012
  Q: it is a tan or beige color looks to be original except for some wheel maintenance, also has nice ...
  A: It's a great find for the price. In 35+ years doing this, I haven't seen an antique stroller for ...
Antique doll stroller??4/22/2012
  Q: My husband brought home this wonderful doll stroller..I think..Or It might be a salesman sample for ...
  A: I have not seen one exactly like this before. Probably a doll stroller in my opinion. Clean the ...
Antique Rocker Seat4/22/2012
  Q: I'm repairing and refinishing an antique rocker. There is a large hole in the center of the rocker ...
  A: You are correct in that the seat was a thin veneered piece of wood set in the recess on the frame as ...
Brass tray3/12/2012
  Q: My wife and I have a oval, brass tray we received from her grandmother. Her grandparents were born ...
  A: The "pinkish" stains are the copper in the brass. They should come out. The first thing I would do ...
vintage wicker baby stroller/carriage3/3/2012
  Q: I have been working on restoring a vintage wicker baby stroller for my antique dolls. I have ...
  A: There isn't a source for these knobs, to my knowledge. You can find several styles and sizes of ...
Antique Baby stroller tires1/28/2012
  Q: I am trying to restore an old heywood wakefield stroller for my daughter, the hard rubber tires are ...
  A: There are no replacement tires available for the buggy wheels are far as I know. You can use some of ...
Carved wood rabbit head on doll buggy10/25/2011
  Q: Have an old wicker doll buggy with the front being flat and a large hand carved wood rabbit head ...
  A: I'm sorry to say, without close inspection, that your item is a reproduction item, not a rare ...
wicker chair lrg10/11/2011
  Q: I picked up a great wicker chair abandoned at a dump site. One leg is about 2" shorter than the ...
  A: You didn't say if the leg is rattan or wood but the repair is about the same.Peel back the wrap as ...
sea grass furniture10/7/2011
  Q: I have three pieces of sea grass furniture that requires a small amount of repair in the wicker ...
  A: It looks like you have some very nice items. I've only seen a few pieces of seagrass furniture as ...
dresser drawer pulls10/6/2011
  Q: I have an antique dresser that my grandmother had painted. I know this belonged to my great ...
  A: I understand your frustration. I have a few suggestions.Look one line at companys that have a large ...
wicker pie cooler10/2/2011
  Q: I just got this given to me yesterday and told it was an antique pie cooler...Is it? and if so could ...
  A: These were made around the turn of the century up till the 20s? I can't tell what the material is ...
Mersman table9/9/2011
  Q: I purchased an oval, glass-topped Mersman table at a yard sale. What's the best way to restore it? ...
  A: It would take a book to cover all the answers to this question. If the scratches are light, that ...
6 Chairs9/3/2011
  Q: .. I like the format of the website and how each expert has their own profile so you can address ...
  A: You have a set of Hitchcock style chairs with a fibre rush seat.They are very nice chairs and ...
Dixie mahogany writing desk8/15/2011
  Q: I have a Dixie desk that I want to sell,I have know idea what it is worth. It has the Dixie name in ...
  A: I cannot give you the answers you're looking for. I don't answer "What's it Worth" questions or ...
baby buggy8/9/2011
  Q: I purchased an antique baby buggy for my grandchild and I would like to clean it up as best I can ...
  A: You are correct on the two types of wicker carriages. Your's appears to be "Fibre Reed" which is a ...
baby carriage8/6/2011
  Q: My family recently found an old baby carriage in our mom's attic. It has a canvas body with metal ...
  A: The only information I have on F.A. Whitney shows only reed but I can see where they might have used ...
Wicker stroller8/5/2011
  Q: I have a wicker stroller made by the Rattan Manufacturing Co of New Haven CT. The only thing I can ...
  A: Yes they have value but I won't give a value on this forum. You can sell it on ebay or another ...
replacement medallion for cedar chest7/11/2011
  Q: i recently bought a rood cedar chest that is missing one of the medallions/discs on the front. here ...
  A: To my knowledge, there is no supplier for these items for specific furniture items. The only ...
Table Style6/29/2011
  Q: I have asked several shops if they can identify the leg style, no one seams to know...I know its ...
  A: Unless you have a label to tell the maker, it will be hard to identify the leg style. This table is ...
refinishing a duncan phyfe table6/21/2011
  Q: I have a duncan phyfe table with mahogany veneer on the table top that has been abused with a 2 inch ...
  A: First off you want to do the veneer repair. Start by cutting a patch that will fit in the missing ...
old wicker couch and chair6/19/2011
  Q: I recently purchased an old wicker couch/chair. However, I think it is what's called paper-wrapped ...
  A: What you probably need are some drop in springs. I have attached a pic of a set. The chair would ...
antique doll buggy5/30/2011
  Q: I have my doll buggy that is between 70 and 75 yrs. old. The wicker is brittle to the touch, most ...
  A: If the cane material is that brittle and the tires are bad, I'm sorry to say it will probably cost ...
Depreciation5/25/2011
  Q: My husband and I own an upholstery shop in Texas. On several occasions I come across very beautiful ...
  A: This a very interesting question and could probably make a small book to answer but here goes. ...
antique baby strollers5/24/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me I bought a antique baby carriage/stroller. I cant find anything on it and ...
  A: The only information I have on the company is the Gendron Iron Wheel Co in Toledo, Ohio. Est @1873. ...
Can I replace a glass top to deco table?4/14/2011
  Q: I have acquired an art deco smoker's table. The glass top was shattered during delivery. The rim of ...
  A: I can't tell for the pic, but the band looks like a stamped band that would slide down over the top ...
Wicker doll buggy3/30/2011
  Q: I have a wicker doll buggy that belonged to my aunt. It is probably around the 1900s. If I am ...
  A: Good idea on the hood. It may have been an "oil cloth" on the top. My catalogs are all older with ...
Refinishing bow front chest3/25/2011
  Q: I want to have this chest refinished and I don't know what kind of hardware is appropriate for this ...
  A: I would suggest you look on the web for similar items and see what type of hardware they have on ...
Antique table - date3/21/2011
  Q: recently I purchased what I believed to be an antique table. The table was one of many items ...
  A: It's impossible to give any information on a table based on the wheels. They were made buy a company ...
roll top desk3/12/2011
  Q: Im trying to identify the desk, it has scallop and dowel dove tail drawers. also what is the center ...
  A: Your "C" roll desk was made in the 40-50s by the truckloads. It would be impossible to come up with ...
Globe Wernicke - writing desk3/7/2011
  Q: I have my grandmothers 5 piece stacking book case with writing desk. 2 units are D 8-1/2,grade 299. ...
  A: You can find "blank" keys from some suppliers and try and file it to fit or go to a flea market and ...
old chair caning, corn stalk?3/6/2011
  Q: I have some chairs that are over 150 years old. The seats are caned but I was told by my mother ...
  A: I would suspect your chairs are "rush" and not cane. I haven't run across any done with corn stalks, ...
repair for this year and make of rocker2/8/2011
  Q: Just got this at a garage sale. It looks to be fairly old. I'd like to know how old it is, and ...
  A: Your rocker is a fibre wicker item. Fibre was used starting in @ 1900 up to the end of the great ...
old piano finishes1/28/2011
  Q: !. do you know how the old ebonized finish on Steinways was done? 2. what would you suggest for ...
  A: Most of the old piano finishes were a polished black lacquer. There are several different ways to ...
Mahogany Lamp table.1/6/2011
  Q: Good Afternoon, I was given a table that is solid mahogany.The table is app.24inches around it has ...
  A: First I would ask you email me a couple of pics of the table so I can see what we are talking about. ...
wicker sleigh12/4/2010
  Q: I have an antique wicker one horse sleigh which we display at the holidays. Over the years the ...
  A: You're doing the right thing with the water but countering it with your choice of storage. The top ...
chair seat12/2/2010
  Q: The chair is in real good condition but it has a caned seat that is coming apart and has a hole. ...
  A: If it's hand cane I would seek a caner to do it. Many well intended people have started chairs but ...
fiber chair seat replacement11/29/2010
  Q: I have a nice little Victorian chair which has lost its center caning, and I cannot afford a leather ...
  A: Most of those "replacement" seats are not much bigger then the area they need to cover. You don't ...
Furniture key10/18/2010
  Q: I recently bought a small Maddox Table slant top desk (about 26" wide at the bottom drawer). It is ...
  A: This is a hard question to answer easily. They best way to get a key would be to remove on of the ...
recently aquired wicker10/13/2010
  Q: I just picked up a box slam full of beautiful little wicker baskets and what not. Most of them are ...
  A: The baskets can be cleaned in two ways, you may want to use both.You can wash them in the kitchen ...
stripping antique wicker....10/12/2010
  Q: I have 2 lovely early 20th century wicker chairs...A "reputable" local "restorer" repainted or ...
  A: I'm hard pressed to comment on someone else's work. You don't say if the wicker items are reed or ...
antique wicker baby buggy9/29/2010
  Q: I am going to attempt to restore an antique wicker baby buggy. After removing the lining fabric, I ...
  A: I always use an oil base paint on wicker. You should thin the paint so it has the consistency of ...
antique dining chair seat upholstery9/24/2010
  Q: My question is similar to one you previously addressed. I have antique dining chairs with only a ...
  A: You are on the right track. I would suggest that instead of webbing strips, us a piece of burlap ...
Restoring Pair of Old Chairs9/19/2010
  Q: I just purchased these chairs and love them very much. The bottom of one of them is unraveling, and ...
  A: As far as the wood part of the chairs goes, you can touch up any worn places with a matching stain, ...
old cigar/smoking stand9/5/2010
  Q: I have an older cigar/smoking stand that has some brass or copper pieces missing. One of the cigar ...
  A: You can't. They stopped making parts for 100 year old pieces 80 years ago, Contrary to popular ...
antique chair8/30/2010
  Q: I just acquired a set of antique chairs (one regular chair, one with a rocker, and a double sized ...
  A: My opinion has always been if you have chairs or whatever that you can't sit in, the value to me is ...
rocking chair age8/8/2010
  Q: i recently obtained a rocking chair with the imatation stamped leather(cardboard like) circle in the ...
  A: These types of seats started to be used right at the turn of the century up till the 40s. They were ...
john wanamaker desk8/5/2010
  Q: who used to work at wanamakers an old desk. it was actully a desk the people who worked there used ...
  A: I don't give appraisals on this site. If the desk was used by someone special, such as John ...
warped veneer8/2/2010
  Q: rob, a friend brought me a hutch that was her grandmothers literally in pieces. it had been sitting ...
  A: One of the ways to try and get it flat again is to place the top on the wet grass real early in the ...
P DERBY &CO Dining room chairs.7/10/2010
  Q: I Have a set of 4 That I got for free.. some damaged leg braces.. the sticker says p derby and co ...
  A: The best advice I can share is to do only what can be reversed. In other words, if you want to ...
What are these wicker pieces?6/3/2010
  Q: I am trying to find out what these matching wicker pieces are. Maybe the matching ends of a chaise ...
  A: I'm not sure either without a close look. I would think they may have been part of a daybed or ...
Stomps Burkhardt chairs5/24/2010
  Q: My husband purchased this dining "set" at an auction this past weekend. The chairs have a leather ...
  A: Many years ago, one could buy these seats at the local hardware store to replace/cover broken caned ...
Antique Baby Stroller5/23/2010
  Q: I inherited this stroller from my father. I believe it has been in my family approximately 100 ...
  A: I have a picture of a wicker cart similar to yours made @1930. As far as the rest of the information ...
Antique Sofa5/12/2010
  Q: I am trying to ID this sofa in order to do more research on it and the time period. It was given to ...
  A: Look for signs of old stuffing and marks on the frame. They may be roman numerials or just a series ...
cane chair seat repair4/25/2010
  Q: I recently bought two pressed back matching chairs and on the seat of one there is a small "tear." I ...
  A: Yes, they are pressed or prewoven cane. The small slit could be repaired IF the cane is not brittle. ...
rocking chair identification and restoration4/18/2010
  Q: sorry but I forgot to attach the picture of the chair, I'm new at this, so I will start over. I ...
  A: Well, the price was right. The seat is probable on of the fiber types made to look like leather but ...
White Furniture Night Table4/13/2010
  Q: It says lot #623 on the back, and the wood is indicated as butternut. I have researched this item, ...
  A: You can find the history of the WHITE FURNITURE CO on the net but as for your specific item, you ...
wicker sewing table \ cabinet?3/27/2010
  Q: I am unable to find info on this sewing table? cabinet? Is it a Heywood and Wakefield ? ...
  A: In the Haywood-Wakefield catalog of 1898-1899, there is a drawing of the "#6426 Oblong Work Basket" ...
Pram (buggy) wheels3/26/2010
  Q: We have lovely old victorian buggy good condition but missing its wheels. Have searched many sites ...
  A: Please don't pitch it!!You didn't say if the style was for wire wheels but I assume it is do to the ...
lane cedar chest3/25/2010
  Q: I have inherited a lane cedar chest which I estimate to be about 75 to 85 years old. The top is ...
  A: You can clean the chest with mineral spirits using a Scotch-Brite pad. This will remove the dirt and ...
Anique rocking chair3/23/2010
  Q: I have what seems to be a 'Boston Rocker', after reading a reply from Fred Taylor just bnow. But my ...
  A: Many styles like this were first made in one area and later expanded to other parts of the country. ...
love seat id???3/17/2010
  Q: Could you please help me id this love seat. we believe it to be around 50 years old but there is not ...
  A: You have an Eastlake style loveseat. Eastlake was made in the late 1800s. Reproductions were made in ...
rocking chair repair.3/11/2010
  Q: I have a Thonet Bentwood Rocking chair that has a recained seat and back. It has alot of information ...
  A: If you have the tools and experience to do the job, go for it.Otherwise, take it to someone who can ...
SHAKER? TYPE EARLY ROCKER3/9/2010
  Q: Fred, I have a rocker that's been in the family for years. Our bunch goes back to NY (City and up ...
  A: First, I'm not Fred, Your rocker is a Shaker style but these types of rockers have been made ...
childs table & chairs3/1/2010
  Q: I bought a green childs table and 2 chairs and the label says South Bend toy Mfg South Bend Ind. I ...
  A: I don't know what information I can provide or what your looking for.The only way to find ...
restoring color to faded wicker2/28/2010
  Q: I have 2 older (unpainted) wicker/ bammboo/ rattan? chairs & table that are extremely sun faded. I ...
  A: What looks like happened is that the finish coat has worn off letting the wicker fade. You can ...
old rocker2/27/2010
  Q: Here is a pic of an old rocker I have. Would like to know the age of it...was thinking early 1900s. ...
  A: I think your right on the age. It needs to be restored and any materials replaced. I'm not sure if ...
Baby carriages2/26/2010
  Q: I have a F. A. Whitney wicker baby carriage (perambulator) that is painted black (basket) and light ...
  A: As far as the color goes, carriages of this age were often ordered from a store or catalog, you ...
pair of chairs2/25/2010
  Q: I have two black and gold Oriental chairs I know very little about. The cane looks good on them. I ...
  A: This is a question I'm surprised no one has asked before. To care for your cane seats is very easy. ...
Antique Lord Darby2/21/2010
  Q: I have an antique two piece what I was told is called a Lord Darby. The veneer has been chipping off ...
  A: In MY opinion, a piece that has damage, and is properly restored is worth more then a piece that ...
rope chair2/19/2010
  Q: My mom has an old chair(early 1900's) that had a rope seat. Most of the rope is torn away. I would ...
  A: When you say rope, I wonder if you mean Fibre Rush.Chairs have been woven with just about everything ...
Wicker baby buggy rubber tires2/18/2010
  Q: I have a Victorian wicker baby buggy that is turn of the century I am guessing that is in great ...
  A: This is one of the most asked questions about carriages and the answer, sadly, is their aren't any.I ...
Pewter Safety2/15/2010
  Q: I am a collector of English pewter pub tankards/mugs, dating from the 1830's into the 20th century. ...
  A: Dave,that's a good question and my answer is yes and no!I wouldn't take the chance that while using ...
Antique wicker baby stroller2/13/2010
  Q: It is an upright stroller that has a retractable handle and two (2) retractable wheels. It has ...
  A: I have one of these also. They were made by the Withrow Manf Co. , F.A. Whitney and probably others ...
wicker porch sofa2/2/2010
  Q: I am sending a couple of photos of a wicker sofa (patio, I think) that was given to me. It is over ...
  A: You sofa is made of Rattan. Wicker is a term that covers many materials, sometimes several are used ...
Appraisal of Rocking chairs2/2/2010
  Q: I have a pair of mahogany rocking chairs with what used to be caning down he backs and under each ...
  A: Your rockers may have come from Germany but I belive they were made in the US. During the late 40s ...
Dining Room Suit - Thomasville Chair Co.1/30/2010
  Q: We have acquired a dining room table with chairs, it also has a buffet with it. Wondering if someone ...
  A: Your Duncan Phyfe style set was made in the late 40s. As far as refinishing goes, I don't think the ...
Estate Sale Rocking Chair1/27/2010
  Q: I recently purchased the attached rocking chair at an Estate Sale in the attic. The seat is composed ...
  A: You do have a beautiful rocker there! I would say it was made in late 1800s due to the carvings on ...
Repair Teak / Mahogany Table1/23/2010
  Q: I have an antique teak / Mahogany and Blackwood table that I would like to find out how to repair. ...
  A: Try, in an out of the way place, to clean with mineral spirts and a fine Scothbrite pad[also called ...
restoring a finish1/21/2010
  Q: I am not sure if you might be able to help me, I hope so. I bought an antique floor lamp. It was ...
  A: First, you need to get a magnet off the frig and test the lamp in several places. If it sticks, then ...
birdseye furniture1/19/2010
  Q: i am so intrigued by this type of wood. I have the opportunity to purchase a full size bed, low ...
  A: Most Birds-Eye furniture is veneered. The value of this type of maple makes it to expensive to use ...
book case1/17/2010
  Q: In doing some house cleaning I found the following information on the back of a book case that I ...
  A: Paine Furniture was in business from @1835-1935. In later years they made only bedding. Their ...
How to put leather seat replacement on chair with upholstery tacks????1/16/2010
  Q: I have an old rocker that had a leather seat. I have purchased a leather seat replacement and ...
  A: The leather should be trimmed to be smooth. Do not try to fold it under as it will be too thick and ...
Rubber Wheels1/5/2010
  Q: It has white rubber wheels that need to be replaced. Any idea where I would get them. 61/2" diameter ...
  A: To my knowledge, there is no supplier of the rubber for the old buggies. The only idea I can think ...
antique wicker furniture12/17/2009
  Q: I have 9 pieces of Karplan wicker furniture and cannot find anything on them. They are old and I ...
  A: The information I have shows that a company called "Karpen Brothers" was out of Chicago but there ...
Nichols & Stone Gardners Mass Rocking Chair12/15/2009
  Q: My husbands grandmother rocked him in this old rocking chair. The rocker is broken on the right ...
  A: I would have the rockers replaced. Do both and save the unbroken one. As for refinishing, that's a ...
Really Interesting Rocking Chair12/12/2009
  Q: I bought this rocking chair in a resale store. It has a fairly recent refinishing job. Very ...
  A: What you have in my opinion, is a form of what's known as "Barly Twist". It appears to be cherry or ...
Age of my clock model king12/8/2009
  Q: I have a clock model king, manufactured by the Ansonia Clock Company, New York USA, this clock have ...
  A: I am not an expert in clocks but I can tell you your clock was made between 1878 and 1929. Clocks ...
Martha Washington sewing cabinet12/3/2009
  Q: One of the concealed hinges on the side cover is broken. Where can I get a replacement?
  A: You can try several sites on line such as Van Dykes,www.vandukes.com or WSI ww.wsidistributors.com ...
Age and origin of 2 oak chairs.12/1/2009
  Q: I am very impressed with the construction, simplicity, and life that these chairs have lived. I was ...
  A: Used to spend some time in Noblesville, great town. Your chairs are Tiger Oak with a ...
Care of wicker casket11/22/2009
  Q: Having just purchased a wicker viewing casket from the late 1800's I am concerned about caring for ...
  A: The flaking material is probably the old varnish as you said.I would use a soft brush and go over it ...
Platform Rocker11/21/2009
  Q: I received a platform rocker and need to know how to restore the rush or cane. I'm not sure what you ...
  A: I only got the one picture but it looks like it has a splint seat and back. Years ago, they used Oak ...
Danish Modern Caned Furniture11/18/2009
  Q: I have 4 black laquered diningroom sidechairs with caned seats from the 50's. Over time the caning ...
  A: You have caned seats it what looks like the standard cane pattern in a "hand cane", it's hard to ...
Country French Chairs with wood beetles11/14/2009
  Q: I purchased six "Country French Chairs" and all seem to be infested with wood boring beetles. There ...
  A: Sorry for your problem. First, I hope you don't have them in your home if the beetles are active. ...
what type of wood is this?11/13/2009
  Q: I hope you are well...and thank you for taking time to answer my question. I have an old piece of ...
  A: Your china cabinet was made between the 1920s-1930s. The wood appears to be a Striped Walnut. The ...
Gliding Rocket11/6/2009
  Q: Can you identify the period for this gliding rocket chair? As you can see from this photos, I have ...
  A: It looks like a nice rocker. I would put it at the 1910-1930 range. These rocker were very popular ...
refinish paper wicker chair11/2/2009
  Q: I would like to refinish my grandmother's wicker armchair. I think that it is paper wicker-fibers ...
  A: You cannot use stripper, water or any liquid on paper wicker. It will end up as a big lump of ...
wood carved tobacco container from 189310/22/2009
  Q: I have a wood carved tobacco container that was my fathers. It is filthy. Knowing my father he ...
  A: You should be able to clean the item with mineral spirits or as they call it now, paint thinner. Get ...
Wood Veneer Fix10/18/2009
  Q: The other day I sat a hot casserole dish on our wood veneer table. Though the dish was placed on a ...
  A: This is not an easy repair.You would need to get some rottonstone and work at the mark with it . You ...
Restoration of an old chair10/4/2009
  Q: i want to restore an old chair e.g. strip it down and re upholster never done this before so would ...
  A: Go Chelsea! Thanks for your question, First I must ask if the chair has any antique value ...
musty smell9/24/2009
  Q: I recently purchased a Hubley cast iron dog doorstop through ebay. The dog has quite a musty smell. ...
  A: Cast Iron won't usually get an odor to it. I would suspect it may have been packed with something or ...
Heywood Wakefield Baby Buggy9/20/2009
  Q: I am wondering. I bought a Weywood Wakefield Baby Buggy at an antique show. The wicker is in very ...
  A: The lining for this would have to be made.Many of the buggies used corduroy as the material. The ...
Widdicomb Vanity Attachment9/19/2009
  Q: I have a mahogany vanity manufactured by Widdicomb co around 1927. The top section with mirror ...
  A: Sorry to say that most hardware made for the furniture industry is not available. I am familiar with ...
bennington pine9/12/2009
  Q: Is this company 's furniture valuable? How can i care for it...it was in storage and has a few ...
  A: I'm not familiar with this brand. Scratches can be buffed out with steel wool [#0000] or sanding ...
Ferguson Furniture9/9/2009
  Q: I recently found a folding chair with a sticker in gold and burgundy with the name Ferguson. The ...
  A: I couldn't find any information on this company. If the label has a city, you could contact the ...
Buffet9/2/2009
  Q: I have an old buffet that looks really good except for around the door and drawer hardware it has ...
  A: I'm sorry to say, if they were an applied decoration, the chances of finding replacements would be ...
Post world War I rocker9/1/2009
  Q: I was given a rocking chair recently and I thought it was wicker. It is very very old it belonged ...
  A: This rocker is made out of Fibre which is a twisted paper that made the Lloyd Loom furniture famous. ...
Shield back chair loose8/27/2009
  Q: I have a repair to do on a shield back chair. The exterior of the back is a frame and panel. The ...
  A: Sounds like a nice piece. Many of these types of situations occur because of the wood shrinking over ...
Vintage high chair/fold down stroller8/26/2009
  Q: I am in the process of restoring my father's early 1900's high chair and removed a thin wooden cover ...
  A: The groove indicates there was a press cane seat, some call it sheet cane or prewoven cane. That is ...
Where to get good Quallity cane8/23/2009
  Q: Where can get good quality cane to continue my recaning?
  A: I don't know of a supplier in England but there are many suppliers on the web. I would look at The ...
American Baby Carriage Co NYC8/23/2009
  Q: My parents recently purchased an antique baby carriage. We are trying to figure an approximate age ...
  A: I have no information on this company. You might try to contact one of the historical groups in NY ...
rocking chair8/12/2009
  Q: We acquired this rocking chair from family home in Indiana. We would like to restore it. The ...
  A: You have what appears to be an Eastlake style rocker, 1872-1890 was the heyday of this style.The ...
furniture information8/11/2009
  Q: I RECENTLY GOT GIVEN THIS CHAIR WHICH I THINK IS OAK PRESSED BACK BUT NEEDS REPAIR AND HAS VARNISH ...
  A: If this were my chair, I would have it refinished and a new seat installed. The dark areas may not ...
Duncan Phyfe furniture8/11/2009
  Q: How can I tell if I have a real Duncan Phyfe piece or a reproduction. I have two pieces. One piece ...
  A: Duncan Phyfe made furniture in the early 1800s. He didn't use label or stamps on his items so one ...
Box8/10/2009
  Q: I have a vintage set of the Little Leather Library Bible, and I have it stored in this old wooden ...
  A: There are ways to clean the copper but I first must add that the value of the set may be reduced buy ...
vanity8/10/2009
  Q: Hope this picture is better. I just want to know anything about this vanity? Even if it is a vanity ...
  A: This piece is from 1920s-1930s. It did have a mirror, probably round. It most likely is veneered ...
Refinishing an older preowned chest bureau8/9/2009
  Q: I have a preowned bureau that i recently bought and would love to restore it.It has many ...
  A: If you want to restore it, the first thing you need to do is strip off the old finish. Many times ...
wall table & mirror from the Whitehouse8/4/2009
  Q: I purchase a home full of furniture including a wall table & mirror said to be from the Washington ...
  A: You might try and contact the White House and see if they have a historian on staff. There could ...
antique wicker baby buggy7/26/2009
  Q: i got a antique wicker baby buggy that was stored in my brother-in-laws mini warehouses. the thing ...
  A: A shop vacuum or hand-held with a soft brush will help clean, just be careful you don't "snag" any ...
identification7/21/2009
  Q: This piece was purchased at an estate sale near Boone N.C. We were told "they think it is from the ...
  A: I guess I need to get to Boone more often!! What a great find. Without more pictures, I would agree ...
Furniture repair6/28/2009
  Q: I have a set of wooden plantation rockers I picked up on the side of the road. The seat slats are ...
  A: For something like this the answer is you will never find replacement parts to purchase. These will ...
Refinishing Cedar Chests6/28/2009
  Q: I have a cedar chest that I purchased from a consignment shop. The women in the shop suggested ...
  A: AS far as the outside goes, get some liquid stripper and #0000 steel wool and strip off the old ...
pair of junior rocking chairs6/24/2009
  Q: these rocking chairs are labeled michigan chair co. do you know about how old they are and can get ...
  A: Your chairs are what is referred to as Depression era furniture starting in the 20s up into the 40s. ...
Black Stain Mark on Antique Dresser6/24/2009
  Q: My son left a glass (with water in it) on top of an antique dresser in my quest room. It had been ...
  A: A black stain indicates it's in the wood. Some restorers try to spot repair just the stained area. I ...
lane cedar chest6/13/2009
  Q: this chest has a musty smell, almost like moth balls,and looks like it might have mold spots on the ...
  A: Place some charcoal in a pan and place it inside for @ a week or 2 then let it air for a few days. ...
Cleaning metals5/26/2009
  Q: I have recently found some artifacts when "excavating" a old family homesite. House built around ...
  A: There are several "rust buster" type products available at your local home center. Soak the items ...
Couch and chair set5/25/2009
  Q: I have a couch and chair from my grandmother which are in need of restoration (e.g., toes have been ...
  A: The steps I would do is to first take some pictures of both pieces along with some basic ...
Old antique doll carriage5/24/2009
  Q: I recently found this doll carriage with a handwritten tag suggesting it is from the late 1800's. ...
  A: What a nice carriage. I would date it right at the turn from the 1890-1900 because of the hood. ...
Waterfall antique Buffet Dresser and Bed5/15/2009
  Q: In a recent move, our antique dresser and bed were damaged. The dresser needs to be re-veneered on ...
  A: Without some pictures of the damage it would be impossible to give an estimate for repairs. Also , ...
Bloch USA Wicker Rocking Chair4/30/2009
  Q: I found in my Grandmothers house a child's wicker rocking chair. On the back of the chair is a ...
  A: The only information I could find in my materials is a Bloch Go-Cart Co, Philadelphia, PA. You may ...
Dating antique baby carriages-wheels and tires4/25/2009
  Q: I restore antique wicker as a non-paying hobby and have done numerous pieces and several ...
  A: I am in agreement with you. In any material I have, it shows the metal rims & rubber tires but ...
Is it worth trying to fix paper-fiber wicker4/22/2009
  Q: I have a three-piece wicker set that's made from paper fiber. There are several places where the ...
  A: It does sound like Lloyd Loom furniture. Without seeing the set, I would just say off the top of my ...
Doll Buggy?4/19/2009
  Q: I bought this doll buggy on Ebay a number of years ago. It was from an Estate sale and I am just ...
  A: I would say that this is a import item, not an antique. I have looked in my research books and ...
Old Office Desk Identification4/4/2009
  Q: I have acquired an old, oak office desk with an unusual pull out typewriter stand (I believe). the ...
  A: From my research,the Patent Pending number appears to be different then the patent number.The patent ...
Antique wicker daybed/bench3/25/2009
  Q: I bought this daybed a while back but now I'm wondering if its to damaged to be restored. One of ...
  A: It looks like your daybed is a fibre wicker piece. I can see the damage of the bottom and the ...
Caned Rocker3/5/2009
  Q: I purchased this chair for $80.00. It is really different and I haven't seen anything like it ...
  A: You have a nice rocker, probably made in the 20-40s. Looks like it has a deep seat also. Most I have ...
Heywood-Wakefield wicker baby buggy3/1/2009
  Q: We are putting a Heywood-Wakefield wicker baby buggy back together. Can you explain how the braking ...
  A: Sorry, there are so many types I can't be clear on which type you have. Basicly, a lever usually ...
Identifying antique furniture2/21/2009
  Q: I have three items of furniture I am trying to identify. A rocker, a rolltop desk and a lamp table. ...
  A: The roll top desk is oak. It's hard to set a time frame because they made that style for many years ...
stain removal from wicker2/17/2009
  Q: I have a set of wooden folding chairs and a table (card set) that is old, probably not antiques. The ...
  A: I would need some other info to answer the question. Wicker is a term for a style of furniture using ...
Kroehler craftsmen rocking chair2/16/2009
  Q: I have a rocking chair from my grandfather but I have never seen pictures anywhere on the net of ...
  A: Without a picture to go by, there's not much I can tell you about your rocker. As far as the veneer ...
Ethan Allen Hitchcock chair2/12/2009
  Q: I recently purchased an Ethan Allen Hitchcock chair. It is black lacquer with gold trim, the seat ...
  A: The seat may be corn husk as that material has been used in seats but my first bet would be rush ...
wicker?2/7/2009
  Q: I am just wondering if there is any easy way for an average person with no real antique or wood ...
  A: This is a very good question, I'm surprised I haven't been asked this before. Most of the wicker ...
bowback chairs2/4/2009
  Q: I just refurbished an old bowback chair. Is there references so I can get the accual name of it and ...
  A: Your library would be a good start. You could also check on Ebay or other auction sites for examples ...
old bedroom suite with carved ship1/19/2009
  Q: I'm am really hoping you will be able to help me. In 1972, my mother purchased me an old bedroom set ...
  A: I'm sorry but I don't have any information to give you. Even with a model number, without catalogs ...
Tabletop1/5/2009
  Q: We own an S. Bent & Sons dining room set made of ash with an oak stain. The tabletop had a ...
  A: With a finish from that time period, I would suggest having someone look at it. There are so many ...
Cane Crib1/5/2009
  Q: I have a crib that I think was made from cane in the early 1900's. It was bought at a store far ...
  A: With out a picture or your general location, it's hard for me to give you much information.Is this a ...
Replacing Antique Chair Seat12/17/2008
  Q: I recently purchased an early 1900s British table and chairs set, and would like to replace the ...
  A: Well you have a few choices. A jig or sabre saw should be had for @$10. . You could also just go ...
Mersman Table 723112/7/2008
  Q: I have a Mersman table with the triangle underneath and the number 7231. It has a raised 1/2 inch ...
  A: It looks like it would have been used like a side table or hall table. It has some of the look of a ...
info on old cedar chest12/3/2008
  Q: my cedar chest hast underneath, style #2133m serial number is 740120, how can i find out how old ...
  A: If it's a Lane or Virginia Made chest, go to www.lanefurniture.com and follow the online to customer ...
antique furniture12/2/2008
  Q: I have an antique Murphy Bed, which was made in 1890-1910. My mother used pledge to clean it, is ...
  A: Most of the time, you can clean furniture with Mineral Spirits which is also sold as paint thinner, ...
restoring an old dresser11/13/2008
  Q: I am attempting to restore an old dresser. I have no idea when it is from, I just like it, and I ...
  A: You have a very nice dresser, Do not use denatured alcohol as it may remove the finish. Mineral ...
Paint Removal from Cane-Back Chair11/10/2008
  Q: Please advise how to remove spots of spray paint from the cane of a Thomasville cane-back chair, ...
  A: I'm sorry to say that probably, you won't get the paint off without removing the stain/finish.The ...
chair who can i tell how old it is?11/7/2008
  Q: I have a very old chair that has been in the family for a long time. The family rumor is that it was ...
  A: First let me say that remember I am looking at a picture and cannot see the construction details ...
Lane Cedar chest11/5/2008
  Q: My Mother-in-law passed away and up in her attic was a lane cedar chest serial #344211 style#482043 ...
  A: The last 2 digits of the serial # are supposed to indicate the year of manufacture. If this doesn't ...
old chair10/19/2008
  Q: I got this chair at the thrift store for 5 bucks and my mom restored it for me. Do you know what ...
  A: I would tend to call it a bentwood chair. Very popular style used a bunch in small restaurants and ...
Whitney carriage10/19/2008
  Q: My husband and I are restoring a Whitney pram, made in Leominster, Mass, which I received as a gift ...
  A: Your pram may indeed have been lined with corduroy. I the catalogs I have, many materials were used ...
chair seat10/13/2008
  Q: I have an office chair, wood with arms and spindles between the arms and seat as well as ornate ...
  A: These leather seats have been around for a long time, at least since the mid 1800s.Some were put on ...
cleaning danish cord seat10/4/2008
  Q: My husband bought a teak table set with woven seats at a garage sale. The seats are a woven cord, I ...
  A: Danish cord usually does not have a finish on it and since it's made of woven paper, you are limited ...
antique furniture restoration/central illinois9/30/2008
  Q: Do you know of any good antique furniture restoration business in central Illinois? Thank you in ...
  A: Sorry, the answer is no. I'm sure there are plenty of reliable business available, just none that I ...
stinky cabinet9/25/2008
  Q: This cabinet was passed from my great-grand-father upon his death to my grandma and now to me. I ...
  A: The cabinet looks to me to be a freestanding cabinet, not sitting on another piece. The picture you ...
antique table9/23/2008
  Q: I have had this table for 22 years. The person I bought it from said it had been in his family for ...
  A: Your table looks to be made of Ash. I would doubt it is 122 years old. Probably made @ 1900-1930s. ...
old rocking chair9/15/2008
  Q: I have what I think is an antique rocking chair, whose seat and back are both caned. the seat is ...
  A: Your chair is from the 20s-30s. They were made in many types of wood. I would belive it is a factory ...
Help needed in identifying seat type9/14/2008
  Q: My wife recently bought a chair that came without a seat. I'd like to know what kind of seat might ...
  A: The rails being on different planes is quite common. You can use rush, splint or shaker tape in this ...
paint removal9/5/2008
  Q: I have an antique chair that was painted yellow (paint type unknown)that my son retrieved and my ...
  A: What a great story to go with the chair. I am going to assume you are sure it's plastic cane and go ...
Whitney carriage house8/26/2008
  Q: I own the Victorian house Mr. Whitney built in 1858 in Leominster Massachussetts. Do you have any ...
  A: Must be exciting to own such a historic home. I would enjoy seeing some pictures. As far as the ...
dresser hardware8/14/2008
  Q: We have an old dresser that we are restoring and it is missing one circular drop pull handle. I ...
  A: Most companys that made hardware if they are still in business, have long melted down their old ...
bedroom furniture8/12/2008
  Q: I have inherited a complete Dixie bedroom set Poster bed (double) dresser with 3-mirrors (2-angle) ...
  A: There are several "Dixie Furniture" companys in that area starting in the 1900s. Without at least a ...
Rocker chair seat8/11/2008
  Q: I really need to know where I can purchase the seat for a rocker that originally had the fiberboard ...
  A: I don't know of anyone in your direct area that caries the seats but Van Dykes Supply in SD has ...
Whitney baby carriage8/7/2008
  Q: My mom purchased this carriage at a yard sale or flea market years ago. The label says F.A. Whitney ...
  A: The only information I can give you on this item is that the F.A. Whitney Co was located in ...
A 24 LB WEIGHT SCALE8/1/2008
  Q: LOOKING FOR AFACE PLATE REPLACEMENT FOR IT .THE ONE I HAVE IS FADED. I WOULD LIKE TO REFINISH IT ...
  A: I'm sorry to say I do not know of anyone who makes replacement faceplates. A suggestion would be to ...
chair7/23/2008
  Q: I picked this chair up at a garage sale about 20 years ago. I have always said I would eventually ...
  A: Nice chair. I don't know if there is a specific name for this style with the slant back but ...
F. A. Whitney Co. Carriage7/21/2008
  Q: We found a mysterious carriage up in my grandma's attic all alone and are interested in finding out ...
  A: The things one can still find in the attic! First, F.A. Whitney Carriage Company was located in ...
refinishing singer sewing machine7/13/2008
  Q: 1st ever time to attempt refinish anything,got two pieces of two pedal machines(one good bottom, and ...
  A: Your first stop should be your local library and get some books on refinishing. This will help you ...
gooseneck caned chair7/10/2008
  Q: I had a flood in my basement and my insurance company had a rocking chair restored for me. The ...
  A: I am sorry, with no information as to who made the rocker or a picture, I cannot give you any ...
brass7/4/2008
  Q: I have a veary dirty brass plate. I have tried to clean it with salt, vinegar, simple gree, soap, ...
  A: My first thought is that your plate has a "clear coat" of some type, possibly lacquer, and that's ...
antique furniture that smells7/4/2008
  Q: I just read a very good answer by Fred Taylor about getting rid of the old musty smell in antique ...
  A: You don't say if the smell is inside the case or possably from the drawers? When we refinish a piece ...
morris schiff of philadelphia6/21/2008
  Q: I have a chair from the Morris schiff co. It still has all the original tags and a stamp on one of ...
  A: Most all furniture of that era is collectable today, especially with a tag and date. Many collectors ...
John Widdicomb6/21/2008
  Q: Mother just passed away--left mint-condition mohogany black lacquer John Widdicomb dining table w 6 ...
  A: Sorry for your loss. I faced the same thing with the loss of my parents and I must say it's a hard ...
Cavalier chest6/15/2008
  Q: I have found at a yard sale a cavalier chest which is lovely, but in sore need of repair. The veneer ...
  A: The numbers are probably a stock/item number. The only way to know what they mean would be to have ...
wicker loveseats6/15/2008
  Q: My Mom passed away recently and left, among other items, two identical wicker peices. They are ...
  A: Once an original piece has been painted, it has already lost some of its value as original so if you ...
cleaning and restoring antique wicker egg basket6/5/2008
  Q: I purchased an antique wicker egg basket and it needs to be cleaned and finished or wiped. What is ...
  A: I would wash the basket with water and just a little soap, then rinse. If it has some dirt in the ...
Caned Chair6/3/2008
  Q: I inherited 4 chairs from my grandmother who owned an antique shop in New England. I know nothing ...
  A: These appear to me to be what is called, "Banister Back Chairs". The condition looks very nice on ...
Wicker chair5/20/2008
  Q: I purchased a set of these chairs and I want to fix them up. I have looked in all kinds of books to ...
  A: Great chair! They look to be a type of "bentwood" chair. Being a set, I would think they were ...
Weigh scale refinishing5/6/2008
  Q: I have an old antique weigh scale my father in law gave to us from his grandfathers farm. I would ...
  A: Sounds like a great project!Coffee table, how cool. I would start with the wood part by sanding ...
Sheffield Coffee and Cream pots5/1/2008
  Q: I have a coffee/tea set including coffee/tea, open sugar pot, and cream recipient, by James Dixon ...
  A: I suggest you research it yourself or contact one of the one-line services that will give you a ...
wicker furniture company4/27/2008
  Q: I purchased a wicker set (love seat, rocker, and chair) from a consignment shop. There is a metal ...
  A: I'm sorry but I cannot find any reference to that company in my research materials. I would suggest ...
Scratches / Berkley & Gay Furniture Desk4/24/2008
  Q: I just purchased this desk and there are some scratches on the top and legs that I'd like to polish. ...
  A: Before I can answer your questions, I need some more information or else the answer will be a small ...
wicker chairs? Chair backs?4/24/2008
  Q: In our attic we found two matching double size curved wicker chair/settee backs with no seats. They ...
  A: Without a photo to go by, I really can't say what these might be but they could be for a boat or ...
CEDAR CHEST4/15/2008
  Q: I got a cedar chest from my sister in law. When I open the lid it states "Lane Altavist,VA" on the ...
  A: If you contact Lane at wood_service@lanefurniture.com, and give them the information you have, they ...
Wooden Bench Restoration4/13/2008
  Q: I recently purchased a bench or two person chair, I am not sure what it would be termed. I was ...
  A: As far as the age goes, they are still making this type of chair today, so I can't help with an ...
Small Child's Wicker Rocker4/5/2008
  Q: My puppy chewed on the wicker arm rest on this 60 year old child's wicker rocker. Do you know a ...
  A: If you go to www.wickerwoman.com/furniture-repair-directory and look under "wicker' or "chair ...
cleaning4/4/2008
  Q: could you advise me on how to clean an antique (1930s) cast iron nutcracker? A small figure, about ...
  A: You don't say if it's in bad shape and rusted or just a little dirty so we'll go from least to ...
Antique chest4/1/2008
  Q: I have a six-drawer mahogany chest that's been in the family for many generations. The top two ...
  A: I'm not sure if there is a name for this type of mechanism or not. It sounds almost like the type of ...
baby carriages3/17/2008
  Q: I have an antique wicker baby carriage, don't know the age. It is in very good shape but the cane is ...
  A: The F.A. Whitney Carriage Co was started in Leominster,Mass in 1858.If you know the model number or ...
Pendelton-Irwin Table3/15/2008
  Q: I have a 32.5" X 21" Pendleton-Irwin table which is 19" tall, has four brass lion claw feet, and two ...
  A: Your table was made in Grand Rapids Michigan by the RW Irwin Co also listed as Robert W Irwin ...

All Questions in This Category

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson

Top Expert on this page