Collectibles--General (Modern)/1898 medal

Medal 1898
Medal 1898  
Medal 1898
Medal 1898  
QUESTION: Here are pic not attached to previous mail.
Thanks, Jim

Thanks for the e-mail and scans.
What you have is a "private" medal, that was initiated by the recipient, hence the name. It is more like a souvenir of his service in the war. It is an interesting piece, kind of hard to put a value on it, but I would estimate that it would be in the $50.00-$75.00 range, more if there is history of the recipient, papers, etc.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Sincerely, Bill

QUESTION: Is there a register/roster listing military units and who was in them?
Would a unit commander privately recognize a unit by commissioning a medal from a local/private trophy shop? I guess from your answer military awards don't have the recipient name on them. I have read about reunion awards.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the e-mail.
There are some of these registrations and rosters for military units, but it is very "sketchy". You have to find someone that has uncovered these rolls. The Army housed some of this information in St. Lewis, however, there was a fire and much of it was destroyed. You might try O.M.S.A. Orders And Medals Society of America and start an inquiry there. I know Al Gleim had some (he was a member) but he passed away several years ago. I have not heard of any "commander commissioning" a private medal. Regarding "my answer" to naming, this needs to be clarified. Firstly in the area of US Medals, there are two distinct categories, i.e. DECORATIONS & CAMPAIGN MEDALS. Secondly, Campaign Medals were never named, some early ones were numbered, such as a WWII Good conduct medal (about the first 70,000 were numbered). Decorations may or may not have the recipients name engraved on the reverse (such as a Purple Heart). Named Medals are highly sought after, especially with supporting documentation. i.e Orders,Discharge Papers, etc.
I hope this is not too confusing, but the whole area of "medal collecting" has no uniformity to it.
Sincerely, Bill

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bill Finkler

I am a collector of US Military Wings and Medals, homefront war effort and sweetheart jewelry from the Spanish American War to present. I can answer questions regarding militaria such as authenticity, dating pieces, evaluating and supplying. I have been consulted by experts for books published on Sweetheart Jewelry.