Collectibles--General (Modern)/Chaplain medal

Hello, I have just acquired a Daughters of the Union Veterans Chaplain medal with the date of 1861-1865 on it. It has a top metal strip that says Chaplain. It is attached to the copper or brownish brass medal by a red white and blue flag with 13 stars. The medal has a large DUV intertwined in the middle. What can you tell me about it. What year do you think it was handed out? Value? Thanks for your help

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the question and scans.
What you have is, obviously, a "DAUGHTERS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR MEDAL". This organization is a Fraternal Society, one of many, that sprung up AFTER the civil war to honor related veterans that fought in that conflict. Among the "others" is the, GAR, GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC, & SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR. The organization, Which is characterized with the intertwined "DUV", on the medal,was started in 1885 and, I believe, it is still in existence today. It is hard to pinpoint the date of your medal, I presume it to be early 1900's. These pieces were presented like medals but are really membership badges, the ones without the top bar were for the general membership. The one you have was that of a "CHAPLAIN" others have designations such as "PRESIDENT" "PAST PRESIDENT" "SECRETARY" to denote their position in the organization.
The collector value of the more common ones, such as the one you have, is not very significant and would be in the $10.00-$15.00 range.
I hope this is of some help to you.
Sincerely, Bill

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bill Finkler

I am a collector of US Military Wings and Medals, homefront war effort and sweetheart jewelry from the Spanish American War to present. I can answer questions regarding militaria such as authenticity, dating pieces, evaluating and supplying. I have been consulted by experts for books published on Sweetheart Jewelry.