Collectibles--General (Modern)/Charles Horner Thimble

Dear Wynneth,

I bought a thimble last week. It is a fairly sturdy, silver coloured, metal thimble with the 'daisy' pattern on the apex and sides and a fairly wide plain band, which had the following markings:

I interpreted this as a size 5, Charles Horner thimble that had a steel core and a silver case, just like a Dorcas. (I also compared it with a size 5 Dorcas that I have in my collection and the size matched exactly.)

However, I had never seen the words 'SILVER CASED' inscribed before and could not find any reference to any so marked in any  of my thimble books or online.

Do you know if it is a known variation of the Dorcas?

I found it most intriguing and hope that your more extensive expertise might mean that you know the answer?

Yours sincerely,

Christine Shepperson

Hello Christine,  Thank you for your question.  I too have been trying to find some sort of information about the silver cased thimble.  The only thing I have found is, silver cased meaning extra heavy silver plate over brass.  However, I do not know if this refers to Charles Horner thimbles so marked.  I have never even heard of him using brass in the making of his thimbles.  I will continue to search.  I am sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!