Collectibles--General (Modern)/Silver cased thimble continued

Question
Dear Wynneth,

Following our earlier correspondence here is the information I received recently as promised. I will not quote the experts name for privacy reasons as he/she may not wish to be published online.

"The CH ‘silver  cased ‘ thimble has always been a bit of a mystery and in the past there have been discussions about it. What got us going on this subject was when a well-known dealer/collector showed us a brass thimble with CH silver cased on it – close scrutiny showed not a trace of sliver anywhere,   Have you tested your thimble with a magnet to see if it is steel cored? ( always take a small magnet with you when you go thimble hunting) A few silver coloured with the same inscription were noted over the years – silver cased is really the same as silver plated.

It has always seemed odd why Horner should produce this type of thimble as his hallmarked silver ones suited the up-market buyer and the Dorcas type the genuine hard working needle woman –there doesn’t seem a place for a silver cased ones.  Horner was known to experiment with all types of metals and finishes on his thimbles, some of which came to the market and some which didn’t

We came to the conclusion that the brass ‘silver cased one was an escapee from the Horner factory before it had its coat of silver put on
As far as I know  no-one has dine any research on this so I am afraid this is not a very satisfactory answer.  I would be pleased to know if it does have a steel core or not as this could put a different interpretation on things – having said that it would be impossible to do any research on this as the Horner factory, its workers and the older members of the family have now gone and thimble collectors these days do not seem interested in doing research."

If I find out more (because I do like to do research!) I will let you know.

Best wishes,

Christine

Answer
Hello Christine,  Thank you for the information you have discovered.  It is good information and information I did not have.  I do appreciate all your efforts.  By helping me you have helped others.  Your kindness is apprecaited.

Thank you,

Wynneth

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins