Collectibles--General (Modern)/Simons Brothers Thimble

I a have a variety of Simons Brothers Thimbles. Some have a very small makers mark on the top interior, while others have a much larger mark. I also have a few that say sterling USA. Does the size of the mark have any bearing on the date of the thimble.
Do you know of a good reference book for identifying the makers marks of thimbles.
Thank you for your time.  You have been so helpful in the past, I appreciate your expertise.

Hello Kathy and thank you for your questions.  Many people have wondered about the size of the Simons mark for years.  It has been my experience that the older Simons thimbles have the smaller mark, then the medium mark and most recent, the larger mark.  I would say yes that the older the thimble, the smaller the mark.  I have been told that the Simons thimbles that were  made for export are stamped on the inside with U.S.A.  

There are several good reference books identifying maker's marks on thimbles.  My preference because it has the greatest variety of marks from the US and different countries is the THIMBLE COLLECTORS ENCYCLOPEDIA by John von Hoelle.  I do have an extra copy if you are interested in purchasing it.  Another book which is strictly American makers is AMERICAN SILVER THIMBLES by Gay Ann Rogers.  Both books are out of print.  

I hope this helps.

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins

I am a digitabulist - a thimble collector. I have been collecting thimbles since 1976 and have my own newsletter called Thimble Guild. I started a local thimble collectors group, Thimbles Are Us, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in 1985. I was Second Vice-President of Thimble Collectors International from 1988 - 1992. I have been a guest speaker on thimbles at local collectors groups, womens groups and churches. I am knowledgable about sterling and gold thimbles made in the US as well as England, Germany, France, Russia, Norway and a few other countries. I am familiar with manufacturer`s marks and codes, assay marks and date marks and other unique marks meaningful to any thimble collector. I am knowledgeable of porcelain, china, brass, pewter, bronze, aluminum, plastic, silver plated, coin and base metal thimble marks. Some questions I might be asked...what makes a thimble valuable (scarce maker, desirable pattern, commemorative, etc.)...where can I find more information on thimbles... are there collectors groups out there a newsletter for collectors...what books are available on the subject? I am very happy to share my knowledge with anyone but will not make appraisals. To do that, you must be able to look at the thimble in person. I have a friend that has a saying, A knowledgable collector is a wise collector. She is a wise collector. In 1992, at the TCI Convention in San Diego, CA, I was given the highest honor in the thimble collecting community. It is called the Myrtle Lundquist Award. It reads, Lundquist Award - Compassion - Caring - Sharing - Awarded to Wynneth Mullins 1992. This award gives me a lot to live up to!