Collectibles--General (Modern)/Sterling Thimble - age,origin??

Question
sterling thimble
sterling thimble  

thimble inside
thimble inside  
Good day, Wynneth,

It was nice to encounter your site! Thank you in advance.
I have a very small (child's??) tarnished thimble that has a scrolly floral sort of band design above the bottom edge with a plain band above marked "sterling." From poring over pictures mainly on ebay I think it's pre-1900. There are no maker's marks that I can see except maybe a very faint squarish stamping to the left of the word "sterling." The knurling is a very fine and defined honeycomb with a bit of a diagonal slant, and on the very apex is a tiny and well-defined 5-point star design within a circle. This circle is the same weight as the edges of the knurling but with a quite definite circular shape.
At first I thought Waite Thresher, because of the fine and defined honeycomb pattern, but there's no star mark in the inside apex. I found thimbles similar to mine with slightly similar pattern at apex point, made be Stern, but just not as fine a knurling and not as defined a star-circle.
Mostly wondering age. Pictures attached, unfortunately looks like I can only send two.
Thank you.
Fran B.

Answer
Hello Fran and thank you for your question.  It sounds like you have really done your homework on this one.  Since there is no mark on the thimble, there is no way to know what company made the thimble.  Many thimbles are unmarked.  I know that KMcD did not mark many of their thimbles but it must have been at the request of whoever was purchasing the thimbles.  This is not a KMcD however.  As far as the date, I do not have a clue.  The problem is that the US never required thimble makers to date the thimbles.  Prior to 1890, British thimbles were seldom hallmarked however they were forced to hallmark all thimbles after that year.  I am sorry I cannot help you.

Wynneth  

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Wynneth Mullins