Collectibles--General (Modern)/large insulator

large insulator
large insulator  

large insulator 2
large insulator 2  

I found this insulator in my fathers basement, he worked for the power company for 33 years.  I'm having a hard time finding any information on it online.  can you lend a hand?

Hi Justin --

This is a high voltage suspension style insulator.  These have been imported from France and probably date from the 1960's.  Initially they were made by a company called Sediver which later sold out to a glass company out of Brazil.  They link together in a string to provide very high voltage insulation (about 15,000V per section) -- frequently used on high tension towers of 115,000-230,000 Volts.  These are collectible and typically trade in the $8-$15 range for a section. Here is a link to more information on this type of insulator:

The bell style you have is not pictured in the link, but they were used in areas with fog or air pollution to provide additional protection.  Here is a link with some like you have in use:

Hope this helps!!  Thanks, --Bob

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bob Berry

Questions related to collecting Glass Insulators and porcelain insulators - I can provide historical information as well as current collector values. I am also interested in purchasing insulators I need for my collection.

I have collected since the early 1970's and have much historical information, as well as knowledge of current insulator values.

National Insulator Association (

BS & MS in Electrical Engineering