Collectibles--General (Modern)/Is this an insulator or other device

Question
What is it
What is it  

End view
End view  
Good evening,

I am hoping to find out what this device is/was used for. Hollow copper poles from each end are sealed with lead. Pass through porcelain body. It resembles an early fuse(??)Looking for your expert opinion. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Bill

Answer
Hi Bill --

Thanks for your question.  These are not common but I have seen them before.  They were used in early wooden "cut-out" boxes which allowed the lineman to power down a section of line for maintenance.  They can be configured as a fuse or simply a connector allowing the removal of power when the "fuse" is removed from its holder.  Sorry for the delay in answering, I was travelling last week.  I'd date this from the 1920's -- they are collectible, and I'd put a $10-$12 collector value on one.  If you had the entire cut-out it would be worth considerably more.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, --Bob

Collectibles--General (Modern)

Bob Berry